Tags problem, sharing across a network

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
mmp997

Re: Tags problem, sharing across a network

Post by mmp997 »

Realiistically, I don't think someone with zero coding experience stands a chance here.
I read that the admin.ini file is (or can be created) inside XYplorer.exe, and that XYplorer is written in VB6.
A friend has also given me some pointers:

"Edit the admin.ini file to something like

[UniversalLocalMapping]
Count=1
ULM1=\\MATTHEW_PC\research_notes>C:\[the path to your research notes folder]

and edit the admin.ini file on the pc with it mapped as E: drive to

[UniversalLocalMapping]
Count=1
ULM1=\\MATTHEW_PC\research_notes>E:\[the path to your research notes folder]

If that doesn't work, then I'm lost. "

So I have gamely found a VB6 editor (EditPadPro8), and tried to load XYplorer.exe, thinking it wouldn't be difficult to put the code in and then save the edited file...

But what I see when I open XYplorer within EditPadPro8 makes no sense as something that this sort of code could be dropped into.

highend

Post by highend »

edit the admin.ini file
And you are trying to edit XYplorer.exe (that is an executable -> a binary file^^) with just a text editor instead?

This has nothing to do with coding experience. This is about editing a simple .ini file^^
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

Read a bit more re setting up an admin.ini for XYplorer before (falsely) trying to edit its exe file.

MUT is not a simple topic (as you should be aware of by now) but a rather advanced feature, so it would be safe to assume it needs some preliminary considerations before setting it up and doesn't work out of the box.

How did you expect XY to know that a file you tagged on one of your computers should be the same as a file on your other computer with the same filename but a completely different path?

So you either follow the description in the MUT section that admin pointed you to (by putting the admin.ini files with the right settings on each of your computers or you make sure that the drive letters and paths on all your computers are completely identical (for the paths you want to use tagging in at least).
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

mmp997

Post by mmp997 »

I'm like a deer crossing a road at night staring at the car's headlights.
The deer is fascinated by those lights but has no idea what they mean.
A tagged file manager could be so useful to a large portion of the world's researchers and writers. At present they don't even know that it is possible, let alone that it actually exists.
But 99% of those who are in the humanities will, when faced with these surely well-meant and very helpful comments, be like the deer staring at those headlights. Baffled, confused, and lost....

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

:)

Well, you were close:

The following should be in a file called "Admin.ini" located where XYplorer.exe is located:

Code: Select all

[UniversalLocalMapping]
Count=1
ULM1=\\MATTHEW_PC\research_notes>C:\[the path to your research notes folder]
You probably have to manually create the file since it is not delivered with the download package (normally it's not needed). Then use any editor, e.g. Notepad to enter the data.

mmp997

Post by mmp997 »

I began by finding out the location of my Dropbox folders on server and client:

Server: (MATTHEW-PC)
E:\Dropbox

Client: (OWNER-PC)
C:\Users\Owner\Dropbox

So I assume I need an admin.ini in the server XYplorer folder:

[UniversalLocalMapping]
Count=1
ULM1=\\MATTHEW-PC>E:\Dropbox

And an admin.ini in the client's XYplorer folder:

[UniversalLocalMapping]
Count=1
ULM1=\\OWNER-PC>C:\Users\Owner\Dropbox

Not sure what the stuff about "research_notes" is (my friend added that) so I removed ii

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, each XYplorer instance that reads/writes the shared DB needs this file in its XYplorer.exe path if the tagged files are located on mapped drives. And since the mappings for each instance are probably different from those of the other instances, each Admin.ini file will look different from the others.

highend

Post by highend »

Only that his version will never work (missing shared folder...)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

missing shared folder? Then he would not even see the files. He does not see them?

highend

Post by highend »

ULM1=\\MATTHEW-PC>E:\Dropbox
ULM1=\\OWNER-PC>C:\Users\Owner\Dropbox

mmp997

Post by mmp997 »

highend seems to be right. This is what I get in SharedTags.dat:

Storage: 0 (Absolute paths)

Data:
\\OWNER-PC\1 Ongoing work\1 Architecture\1 My Writing and Research Notes\Books and Long Reports\Altered Estates (HTA) 2016 (solutions for housing estates).pdf|0|7|||||||||||||||||
\\OWNER-PC\1 Ongoing work\1 Architecture\1 My Writing and Research Notes\Books and Long Reports\Barkham & Murray - Sustainable Social Housing - Global best practice.pdf|0||7||||||||||||||||
\MATTHEW-PC\1 Ongoing work\1 Architecture\1 My Writing and Research Notes\Books and Long Reports\Altered Estates (HTA) 2016 (solutions for housing estates).pdf|0|5|||||||||||||||||
\MATTHEW-PC\1 Ongoing work\1 Architecture\1 My Writing and Research Notes\Books and Long Reports\Barkham & Murray - Sustainable Social Housing - Global best practice.pdf|0|5|||||||||||||||||
\MATTHEW-PC\1 Ongoing work\1 Architecture\1 My Writing and Research Notes\Books and Long Reports\Barry Cullingworth, Vincent Nadin - Town and Country Planning in the UK (2006, Routledge).pdf|0||4||||||||||||||||
\MATTHEW-PC\1 Ongoing work\1 Architecture\1 My Writing and Research Notes\Books and Long Reports\Charettes.pdf|0||4||||||||||||||||
\\OWNER-PC\1 Ongoing work\1 Architecture\1 My Writing and Research Notes\Books and Long Reports\Thomas Dekccer ed The modern city revisited.pdf|0|2|||||||||||||||||
\\OWNER-PC\1 Ongoing work\1 Architecture\1 My Writing and Research Notes\Books and Long Reports\Thomas H Russ - Site planning and design handbook.pdf|0|1|||||||||||||||||
\MATTHEW-PC\1 Ongoing work\1 Architecture\1 My Writing and Research Notes\Books and Long Reports\City Transformations Conference, Rio (articles on cities by famous urbanists).pdf|0|6|||||||||||||||||
\MATTHEW-PC\1 Ongoing work\1 Architecture

So what amendments do I make to my admin.ini?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I need more data:

- how many files did you tag?
- what does Admin.ini look like on the machine you used for tagging?
- do those paths in tag.dat exist?
- what is the current problem? what does not work?

mmp997

Post by mmp997 »

Question 1.
Over the course of the last few hours I would have given you many different answers

Anyway, to answer your question…. On the server I have loaded “6” in the Tag column and “7” in the Extra 1 column
On the client I have loaded “3” in the Tag column and “4” in the Extra 1 column

SharedTags.dat shows:

Data:
\\OWNER-PC\1 Ongoing work\1 Architecture\1 My Writing and Research Notes\Books and Long Reports\City Transformations Conference, Rio (articles on cities by famous urbanists).pdf|0|3|||||||||||||||||

\\OWNER-PC\1 Ongoing work\1 Architecture\1 My Writing and Research Notes\Books and Long Reports\Cliff Moughtin - Urban Design - method and techniques.pdf|0||4||||||||||||||||

So obviously, the server is not saving correctly.
Heaven knows why.

Question 2.
The Admin.inis are also described in my 17:01 post.
Nothing has changed there.

Question 3.
The path is \\MATTHEW-PC\Users\Matthew\NewOne\SharedTags.dat
This path is placed on “Load Tags Database” on both PCs.

Question 4.
At present my problem is that all tags on the server keeps disappearing.
General confusion.

I get the feeling that different paths I may previously have created are interfering with things. Maybe I should delete and restart. I also continue to suspect underlying Windows Network issues.

My sense is that this is not doable by non-educated users, certainly not by this non-educated user, and that in deference to my own sanity I ought to stop trying. There is something in me that wants to keep on and on trying, but the results so far have not been promising.

For this I blame myself, but on the other hand XYplorer is nowhere labelled “for professionals only”! Which encourages the general user to try.

I am at present extremely upset, actually in a tearful state, which never happens to me. Unprecedented. So I hold up my hands in despair.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'm trying to understand your situation. How many users are in your team / company?

mmp997

Post by mmp997 »

I am the only user.
I have 3 PCs.