How to make XYplorer the file manager for Open Path or Open Folder in other apps?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Tony

How to make XYplorer the file manager for Open Path or Open Folder in other apps?

Post by Tony »

How to make XYplorer the file manager for Open Path or Open Folder options in other apps? I already set XYPlorer to be the default file manager.

RalphM

Re: How to make XYplorer the file manager for Open Path or Open Folder in other apps?

Post by RalphM »

Hi Tony and welcome to the forum.

What you try to achieve is unfortunately not possible AFAIK.
The open file and folder dialogues along with the save ones are independent of the setting for the default file manager.
These have been made to look similar to the standard Win Explorer but are actually separate programs/dialogues and thus not replaceable by XY.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

Tony

Re: How to make XYplorer the file manager for Open Path or Open Folder in other apps?

Post by Tony »

So what I understood this is a limitation in XYplorer.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Replacing the standard system open file dialog would require some heavy registry hacking if at all possible. I never heard of anyone doing this successfully. I'd say forget it.

Tony

Post by Tony »

Maybe you misunderstood my question.

For example, in uTorrent there's an option for their Open in folder option where instead of opening the folder in File Explorer, I want it open in XYplorer. I use another file manager and in any app that has an option to go to that folder, it opens using the other file manager.

There are no file dialogs involved.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Okay, I'll look into this later.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yep.

webmaster

Post by webmaster »

I too came here to ask this question. I noticed it was possible to have this done with Directory Opus... I like Xyplorer more but this is kind of a big feature.

Sharex is stifled and so are many other apps. I didn't realize how often I "open path" or "open folder" from other apps. now, when I do it, NOTHING even happens. just a waste of a click. i think because i have my options set for XYplorer to be default... that's why.

Just to be clear, 100%... this is not possible or can ever expect to have this integrated?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It seems to be a bit tricky but I definitely plan to have a shot at it.

Tony

Post by Tony »

Any updates on this feature? Has it been implemented?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No. No big features are added before the 64-bit edition is completed.

LostFirefox36

Post by LostFirefox36 »

I use an AutoHotKey script to accomplish this.
When i have a Windows Explorer window open, i press the Windows + E key to grab the filepath from the currently open directory and then run that path to make it open up in XyPlorer. Works really well.

Code: Select all

#E:: ; Windows + E Key to activate
        IfWinActive, ahk_class CabinetWClass    ; If Windows Explorer is active, then grab filepath from it
        {
            for oWin in ComObjCreate("Shell.Application").Windows
            {
                Folderpath := oWin.Document.Folder.Self.Path    ; Save path of current folder as variable
            }
            run, %Folderpath%   ; Run the saved path to open with the default explorer (XyPlorer)
            return
        }

Tony

Post by Tony »

admin wrote: 01 Jul 2020 10:30 No. No big features are added before the 64-bit edition is completed.
When is the ETA for the 64bit version?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »