Location Currently Not Available

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
admin
Site Admin

Re: Location Currently Not Available

Post by admin »

So, you have "AssumeServersExist: 1" but subfolders fail to open.

How exactly do you try to open the subfolders?

mumajs

Post by mumajs »

Simple doubleclick. When I enabled "AssumeServersExist: 1" and clicked on the server name in my catalog which points to "\\server\e$" it opened E drive and listed all folders. Then I double cliked on the folder "DATA" to see the content (basicly go to "\\server\e$\DATA"). XYPlorer was thinking a while then it says "Location currently not available". I closed the XYplorer and started it again. The same scenario. I was able to open "\\server\e$", but not any other folder there. Then I enabled "FastNetworkEnumeration" and now it opens all folders. But does not matter if there are few files or hundred of them. Some open fast some with big delay. Dont know what is going on.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Alright, please test the next beta v20.70.0012.

mumajs

Post by mumajs »

Looking forward to test it. Few comments and points I discovered...

Browsing works also when only FastNetworkEnumeration is enabled. But it is really very slow. Like XYplorer is periodically doing something so some folders open fast, some of them slow. Also changing server / PC is very slow.

AssumeServersExist: 0
FastNetworkEnumeration: 0
---> unable to even open any PC / server share like \\server\c$ --> Location not available

AssumeServersExist: 1
FastNetworkEnumeration: 0
---> able to open main share PC / server share --> \\server\c$ or \\pc\c$ --> seems to be fast after first touch
---> unable to open any folder in the main share like \\server\c$\folder ---> Location not available

AssumeServersExist: 0
FastNetworkEnumeration: 1
---> able to open main share PC / server share --> \\server\c$ or \\pc\c$ --> slow also after first touch
---> able to open any folder in the main share like \\server\c$\folder ---> slow and I do not find the logic when but mostly really 20 seconds to open folder
---> whole behavior is very slow, but I have Win10

AssumeServersExist: 1
FastNetworkEnumeration: 1
---> able to open main share PC / server share --> \\server\c$ or \\pc\c$ --> fast after first touch
---> able to open any folder in the main share like \\server\c$\folder ---> slow and I do not find the logic when but mostly really 20 seconds to open folder
---> whole behavior with subfolders is very slow

Seems when the share is mapped as drive letter it works fine. But because of a lot of PC / servers I am unable to have mapped everything. Where is the difference with the process? Also I need often to see the login screen and use another account to access the share. In the help I saw that in some cases it can avoid it what I dont want. Some weeks ago I had any of the network features enabled and everything was fine.

mumajs

Post by mumajs »

So far so good with beta 20.70.0012. Tt seems the admin shares are fixed and all of them works also when all network settings are disabled. And it is fast! So very good job!

However I am still unable to open shares like \\server\share_name. It is doing the same like admin shares before. So it seems the fix is applied only to C$, D$ etc... Other shares (shared manualy on the PC) does not work and are doing what the admin shares before. They work only when FastNetworkEnumeration is enabled, but the behavior is horribly slow. Can the fix be applied globaly?

Thank you!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ok, let's test the next beta v20.70.0013 then.

mumajs

Post by mumajs »

Moving step by step to final solution :appl:
Admin shares are still fine. Normal shared folders are now also good with 20.70.0014. Just tested last point which I sometimes see and use. When the standard share is shared as hidden. That means "\\server\data$". That share is normal share (shared folder), but the name is with "$" on the end and that means it is not visible. In that case it does not work and say "Location currently not available"

Otherwise "Configuration | General | Safety Belts, Network | Network | Assume that servers are available" works well and fast.

:tup: :tup: :tup:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Cannot reproduce it here. But if you are using the "Maxi Tree" (= not "Mini Tree") then it might help to set this tweak:

Code: Select all

ShowHiddenShares=1
How to tweak: https://www.xyplorer.com/faq-topic.php?id=tweak

Dr?

Post by Dr? »

Apologies for not sifting through a few hundred pages of responses.

I've recently installed xy for evaluation and I have liked what I've seen certainly in terms of layout and apparent speed.

However I am having no luck in viewing folder contents within the application.

On the left directory tree there's no problems, I can see all folders and sub folders as I expand them out. But in the main right hand window, a message is always displayed that the location is unavailable.

If I carry out a search within these directories, results are returned.

Anything I can do to get this to work? Or is there any additional information/logs I can provide to help diagnose and troubleshoot?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

always???

Do you have a screenshot of the situation?

Emre

Post by Emre »

Hello,
I'm a long time user of XYplorer without any issues. Today I had to reinstall windows and forgot to backup my XY folder. That is a headache because I had catalogs and custom scripts set up.

Anyway, I installed the latest version (20.80.0400), and now I'm experiencing this issue.

When I open XYplorer first time all open network server tabs are showing contents without issue. But whenever I browse in those tabs, the network adresses are no longer available.

I seriously need help, because I've come to a state that I can not work without, XYplorer even for a day.

My setup is 2 vertical panes with only catalog on left. No tree.

EDIT: After entering some local folders and trying again, issue seems to be gone. I wonder what's wrong, hope it doesn't come back.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Just to make sure:
- You clicked the network folders in the tree and you got "Location Currently Not Available"?
- But when you opened the same folders by selecting a tab it worked?
- And now this problem totally disappeared?

Might be related to some Windows caching. This would mean that it will come back after some time. Let me know...

Emre

Post by Emre »

Hello,
Today I upgraded to the latest version and the problem reappeared. Must be something with updating.

I tried to record it as a gif here, you see when I start XY, folder content is there, then I click the upper folder, everything disappears, also I click back to the original folder, nothing:

Emre

Post by Emre »

"Fast Network Enumeration" seems to solve the issue....

EDIT: But this time XY performance comes to a crawl.

Since I cannot bear with plain win10 explorer, I tried Total Commander and Freecommander, and sorry to say that they don't have such issue on the same machine. Is XY using different protocol for network folders than windows explorer. Free commander startup time with network tabs is much faster too.

Don't get me wrong I'm a lifetime license holder, and I adore XY. But networking seems to need some attention here.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Currently working on XYplorer 64. When thru I'll have a fresh look at it...