Pane switching and Pane Swap Locations is broken

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
sheryl

Pane switching and Pane Swap Locations is broken

Post by sheryl »

Pane switching does not seem to work.
  • Toggle Active Pane, Swap Locations, Dual/Single Pane Mode commands do not behave as expected.
  • There is NO way to get Pane 2 (the bottom pane) to be the Visible and Active Pane in Single Pane mode. (the main issue)
  • There is also no way to get top and bottom panes to switch places.

From the Help pages:
Toggle Active Pane:
Activate the inactive pane.
Note that you can also toggle panes in Single Pane mode.
Which means you can easily switch back and forth between two completely independent sets of tabs.

Swap Locations:
Swaps the locations of both panes.

Dual Pane:
Show/hide the inactive pane. In other words: Toggle between Dual Pane and Single Pane mode

Toggle Active Pane
If a single pane is visible:
If Pane 1 is active, "Toggle Active Pane" unexpectedly turns on Dual Panes, before activating Pane 2.
It is expected that it remains in Single Pane Mode, and that Pane 2 replaces Pane 1 as the currently visible and active pane.

However, if both panes are visible:
"Panes -> Toggle Active Pane" *does* work as expected.
Both panes remain visible, and in the same location, and the other tabset/Pane becomes active.

There is no way to get Pane 2 active in Single Pane mode.

From the Help pages:
Toggle Active Pane:
Activate the inactive pane.
Note that you can also toggle panes in Single Pane mode.
Which means you can easily switch back and forth between two completely independent sets of tabs.

Swap Locations
"Panes -> Swap Locations" does not work as expected at all.
It acts exactly like "Panes -> Move TAB to Other Pane"!
It is expected that "Swap Locations" will move Pane 2 to the top, and Pane 1 to the bottom, if both panes are visible.
Instead, it MOVES the active TAB to the inactive pane. This should not happen at all.

There is no way to get Pane 2 (the Bottom Pane) to be at the Top.

From the Help pages:
Swap Locations:
Swaps the locations of both panes.

Dual/Single Pane Mode:
Changing from Dual Pane -> Single Pane Mode does NOT Hide the *inactive* pane, as is expected.
Instead, it always Hides Pane 2.
ie. It always Shows Pane 1, and always Hides Pane 2, when activating Single Pane Mode.

For example:
If Pane 2 is active in Dual Pane Mode,
Then Single Pane Mode is selected ("Panes -> Dual Pane -> UNCHECKMARKED"),
I expect Pane 2 would remain active and visible as the Single Active Pane.
Instead, when it switches to Single Pane Mode,
it Deactivates and Hides Pane 2, the Active Pane,
opting instead to erroneously Activate and display Pane 1, the formerly inactive pane.

On the other hand:
If Pane 1 is active, when switching from Dual to Single Pane Mode, it behaves as expected:
it switches to Single Pane Mode, and (re-)Activates Pane 1, the already active pane.

There seems to be no way to Show Pane 2 in Single Pane Mode.

From the Help pages:
Dual Pane:
Show/hide the inactive pane. In other words: Toggle between Dual Pane and Single Pane mode

In Summary,
I cannot get Pane 2/(the Bottom Pane) to be the only visible Pane/set of tabs.

Additionally, I cannot get Pane 2 (the Bottom Pane) to switch places, so it is at the Top. Therefore, "Swapping Locations" cannot be used as a workaround.
And, in fact, that function now instead behaves as the "Move Tab to Other Pane" function.

I want to temporarily hide Pane 1, and show only Pane 2, in Single Pane Mode, then easily toggle back.

I'm certain all these features worked as expected a few years ago..

I am running the latest version: 20.60.0300, Standard License Pro
Believe it or not...
XYplorer was a decider, keeping me on Windows vs switching to Apple.
I *really* did not want to loose access to XYPlorer! Everyone (especially programmers) should know about and have access to XYPlorer file explorer!

jupe

Re: Pane switching and Pane Swap Locations is broken

Post by jupe »

I think the main issues you are describing are probably because you have enabled this setting:

Configuration | Tabs and Panes | Dual Pane | Always keep 1st pane visible

As for swapping all the tabs from one pane to another (as opposed to just swapping the active pane), as far as I know that has never been possible as a default feature, although you should be able to script it if you wanted by using Tabsets commands.

PS: Swap Locations, does what it says in your quoted help text, swaps the locations [of the active tabs] on each pane, so it isn't "exactly the same as Move tab to other pane" as you suggest.