Network Location not available - mapped drive ok

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
HeinziTuberkel

Network Location not available - mapped drive ok

Post by HeinziTuberkel »

Hi,
I just moved from an old Win 7 machine to a new Win 10 system.
When I log on to my computer some network drives are automatically mapped (e.g. \\myserver\shares\myshare -> s:)
I can access those with XYplorer, but if I try to access the same address in the address bar the file list shows "location currently not available".
In Windows Explorer the same address works.
I have several Shortcuts to Network locations in my Catalog. None of them work anymore.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Network Location not available - mapped drive ok

Post by admin »

Hi,

try to untick this: Configuration | General | Safety Belts, Network | Network | Pre-check availability of servers

Don

HeinziTuberkel

Post by HeinziTuberkel »

Hi,
sorry for the late reply. I already had that checkbox unchecked.
Meanwhile I trie
I found something more: If the computer is shown in "Network", I can access it with XYplorer, but not all computers are shown in "Network". This is btw. the same in Windows Explorer. - I have no idea why this is so.
But in Windows Explorer I can still access the computers/servers by entering the unc path into the address bar.
Sadly this does not work in XYplorer.
Neither does it work to enter the computer's ip-address (e.g. "\\192.168.1.2\SharedFolder") into the address bar.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Using the latest version of XY?

Malarki

Post by Malarki »

I found this by search, having the same problem. XY 20.60.0200; Windows 10 x64 Pro; Synology NAS connected to this PC via ethernet cable.

About two weeks ago I enabled "Pre-check availability of servers" (not sure why). All was fine until about 48 hours ago when XY suddenly began reporting that this NAS (mapped to my V: drive) was unavailable. I can't correlate the change directly to an XY beta update since I can't remember exactly when I did that; but the problem still exists now. If I disable the pre-check, XY can again see the NAS.

I don't really need the pre-check (AFAIK) so I'll leave it disabled. But something may be wrong with it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The pre-check does a full network scan, that can take a while. But it can be faster than trying to access an unavailable network location. Depends on the system. I think for most users it will be better to untick "Pre-check availability of servers".

Nothing was changed concerning this feature in the last week.

HeinziTuberkel

Post by HeinziTuberkel »

Hi,
nothing was change in the last week, but earlier.
I just copied the installation from my older computer to the new one (previously I had installed 20.60 on my new computer) :( .
In Version 19.60.0100 it works without problems.

So I guess, once more... I'm stuck with the old version that once again works better than the new one... :cry:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You are talking about an address like "\\192.168.1.2\SharedFolder"?

HeinziTuberkel

Post by HeinziTuberkel »

Yes, this and any unc address like \\myActiveDirectory.local\NETLOGON or \\myServer\SomeShare

Several of these are not shown in the "Network" node. I can access them in the older version of XYplorer (19.60.0100), but not the new one (20.60).
Your prior question about the version I use got me to try the older program version from the backup of my old computer and - voila - it worked.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

And you are using 20.60.0200?