Branch View - Context Menu - Multiple Paths

Features wanted...
warrenrh

Branch View - Context Menu - Multiple Paths

Post by warrenrh »

Here is my problem. I have a root folder, which contains many sub-folders, and many files. Imagine these folders contain AudioBooks or music albums which are made up of many audio types of files. These files may have different extensions, bit rates, and other audio properties. I use the Filter or Find Tools in XYplorer to find the files I wish to Select for future process (work with). After Selecting the Files – I use a right click to bring up the Context Menu.

I am hoping to process All of the Selected Files with a program which is shown on the Context menu. If the Selected Files are all in the same Path – the Context Menu will show various options. If the Selected Files are in multiple different Paths – the Context Menu will show Less Options. I could accomplish my desired task folder by folder – but that would be very tedious. Better to select an option and do the processing in queue automatically – regardless of how many different paths are involved.

The program I am hoping to use is dbPowerAmp Music Converter from the Context Menu – to change various audio file properties of all the Selected Files. One path selected – this Converter is an option. But if Files with multiple paths are selected – this Converter is Not shown as an option.

I have seen similar limitations (one path, vs multiple paths) with Photos and various other file types as well.

I can easily do these tasks with Directory Opus, and with Xplorer2 that I am having trouble doing with XYPlorer. Is there something I can do to get XYplorer process these multiple paths more easily with the Context Menu?

highend

Re: Branch View - Context Menu - Multiple Paths

Post by highend »

Set this tweak:

Code: Select all

[General]
; Tweak: Show the real shell context menu when 2 items from 2 different paths are selected!
AllowMultiLocShellMenu=1
How to tweak: https://www.xyplorer.com/faq-topic.php?id=tweak
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

Years ago I tried to accomplish this with WinRAR (discussed here). Unfortunately, with the tweak enabled and with a Branch View comprising .ZIP files in multiple folders, WinRAR still only gets fed the file from one folder. Are you having better luck with dbPowerAmp?

highend

Post by highend »

You could always write a script that just feeds the current selected items in the (whatever) necessary form to a specific application...

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

highend wrote: 20 Sep 2019 20:28 You could always write a script that just feeds the current selected items in the (whatever) necessary form to a specific application...
Going by Don's comments at the time, that's the only option, unfortunately.

warrenrh

Post by warrenrh »

I tried the Tweak AllowMultiLocShellMenu=1 .
I also read the previous Discussion at: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5439 .

After implementing the Tweak the Context Menu did work to the point of showing my desired program as an option.
Unfortunately there was a problem when I selected my desired Program. The program was initiated but got hung up, before fully opening. Likely XYplorer does not currently feed the files properly. Sadly Tweak -- failed.

Sadly the custom script option is beyond my technical ability.

Wish: I wish admin would review - with the realization that Directory Opus, and Xplorer2 are properly handling this problem. Maybe other programs as well. But yes -- I recognize somethings are darn hard to understand, or do anything about.

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

warrenrh wrote: 20 Sep 2019 22:11 Wish: I wish admin would review - with the realization that Directory Opus, and Xplorer2 are properly handling this problem. Maybe other programs as well. But yes -- I recognize somethings are darn hard to understand, or do anything about.
I've been away from the forums for some time, meaning I don't have a handle on how many users get bitten by this limitation. Going by the replies to the old thread, there may not be enough votes. Having said that, I'd love this limitation be lifted.

highend

Post by highend »

I've tried it with 2 files selected in a branch view. One .flac in a subfolder, one .mp3 in the root
64-bit context menu, "Edit ID-Tag" and the GUI loads fine for me. Is this a limitation of how many
files are selected?

warrenrh

Post by warrenrh »

highend wrote: 20 Sep 2019 22:46 I've tried it with 2 files selected in a branch view. One .flac in a subfolder, one .mp3 in the root
64-bit context menu, "Edit ID-Tag" and the GUI loads fine for me. Is this a limitation of how many
files are selected?
Similar to your experience -- Multiple files with Multiple Paths -- The Edit ID-Tag seemed to work well for me as well using XYplorer.

I do not believe it is a limitation of how many files are selected - as I was using only a small number of files when I was Unsuccesfully attempting to use my Audio Conversion Program.

highend

Post by highend »

I don't get it. You've said it doesn't work?
The program I am hoping to use is dbPowerAmp Music Converter from the Context Menu – to change various audio file properties of all the Selected Files. One path selected – this Converter is an option. But if Files with multiple paths are selected – this Converter is Not shown as an option.

warrenrh

Post by warrenrh »

highend wrote: 21 Sep 2019 00:41 I don't get it. You've said it doesn't work?
Let me Summarize some of what I am seeing and thinking - regarding the Branch View - Context Menu with Multiple Paths.
You need to use the Tweak AllowMultiLocShellMenu=1 .

Programs such as Directory Opus and Xplorer2 -- seem to generally work with similar Flat View / Branch View Multiple Path situations.
I use Directory Opus more and have higher confidence. I did very limited testing of Xplorer2.

However with XYplorer --
The Context Menu Edit ID-Tag seemed to work well in my limited quick test with XYplorer.
dbPowerAmp Music Converter from the Context menu with XYplorer - would try to open, but hang / lock up. Not open properly.
Compression programs such as WinZip (and likely others) have problems. May work under some situations, but not others.

So sometimes XYplorer seems to work, but often does not in situations where other programs are not having a problem.
I don't really get it either.
warrenrh wrote: 20 Sep 2019 22:11 Wish: I wish admin would review - with the realization that Directory Opus, and Xplorer2 are properly handling this problem. Maybe other programs as well. But yes -- I recognize somethings are darn hard to understand, or do anything about.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It's too tough for me. I congratulate the other apps to their success. :|

warrenrh

Post by warrenrh »

Thanks for the consideration and thought.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I hope that wasn't irony. :)