Certain custom file icons randomly turning into black or grey squares in list

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
aminomancer

Certain custom file icons randomly turning into black or grey squares in list

Post by aminomancer »

I have 125 portable file icon rules. Sometimes when I'm using xyplorer, I'll scroll down and a certain filetype's icon will just be a black or grey square. It usually happens all at once. Like I'll go days without seeing any black squares, but then one day I'll scroll down and there will be black squares everywhere. Then I'll switch tabs and some of the file types in that folder will be black too. Then switch tabs again and so on. And if I check the portable file icons window and look at the corresponding icons, they look perfectly normal in that screen. If I quit xyplorer and reopen it, the file icons go back to normal. It's pretty much random but it seems to get more frequent the more icons I've added. And it also doesn't seem to happen unless I have "cache specific icons" enabled in config. But I can't be sure about that because it happens relatively infrequently, so it could just be a coincidence. Of course all the icons themselves appear fine. Most of them I converted from svg or ai files myself with a photoshop plugin so I am pretty confident there's nothing wrong with them. They look like any other ico file in resource hacker too. I've tried replacing the header with a hex editor just in case, but I guess I missed something because that corrupts the files.

Anyway there's no real rhyme or reason to which icons can get messed up. But the weird thing I've noticed is that when the black squares first start appearing, it's usually on executables. And I find it interesting because for executables I have that special rule, *.exe /d>icon.ico. Of course once the black and gray squares start showing up, all sorts of other filetypes show up as black squares too. Not all of them, but just random filetypes. docx, pdf, csv, just random files. But the files that initially get messed up seem to usually be files I set a /d rule for, which is ironic since those files usually don't show a custom file icon anyway. Like normally the executables don't show a custom file icon, they show their default, built-in icon. They only show a custom file icon if they don't have a built-in icon. And from what I've seen so far this usually happens when I'm scrolling past executables that DO have a built-in icon. Most of the time that built-in icon shows up fine but sometimes, randomly (could be after xyplorer is open for days, but could even be just moments after first starting up xyplorer) they show up as black or grey squares, and then after that, like 1/3 of the filetypes in any given folder will show up as black squares. Yet for some reason never folders.

Again it's hard to say if the patterns are coincidences but I'm just trying to provide as much info as I can. I assume it must be some kind of caching issue? Another thing that might be different about my setup is that all my icons are located in a single directory, C:\Theme\. So all the rules are like *.blah>C:\Theme\blah.ico. I'm aware that I can put the icons in an xyplorer folder and use portable paths instead but I just already had all these icons and other files in a single folder when I started using xyplorer. So maybe the issue is caused by some problem with how the paths are parsed? Let me know if there's any other information I can provide or some kind of log that might have corresponding entries, I'll do my best. Thanks!

admin
Site Admin

Re: Certain custom file icons randomly turning into black or grey squares in list

Post by admin »

That's an ancient Windows bug that apparently will never be fixed: The system icon cache goes corrupt. A restart of XYplorer fixes it.