XYPlorer (Last 2 version) slow and freezing.

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
aurban

XYPlorer (Last 2 version) slow and freezing.

Post by aurban »

Hi,

I'm using XYPlorer Lifetime License Pro version 19.90.0100 at work now and an earlier version than that as well for about 2 weeks and although I love the interface and what it does, it just behaves sluggishly and seems to have major problems with network folders.
I love the tags and shortcuts and so many other things and after spending nearly an hour to set up tags to some key directories, I have not got any joy with the way this explorer runs.
Windows Explorer had none of these issues, but after making XYPlorer my replacement Explorer I find it's not only slow, but it crashes on every 2nd or 3rd attempt of me trying to copy PDFs to another directory.
It also doesn't seem to like folder shortcuts that point to another server.
Should I remove XYplorer from this computer to get back to the usual joy of being able to drag and drop folders or is there a solution to make we wanna keep this otherwise great application?
I'm running XYplorer on Windows 7 Professional, with Service Pack 1.

Thanks.

RalphM

Re: XYPlorer (Last 2 version) slow and freezing.

Post by RalphM »

First of all, welcome to the forum.

To identify slow response times / sluggishness have a look at the info presented when you Ctrl+Click on Help/Various Information which gives you an idea of what options might cause your experience. Other culprits are usually extra columns with scripts that calculate something for each item in the list in real time but from your post I assume you don't have such.
As for the crashes while working with PDF's I assume you have Adobe Acrobat installed on your system. While we all owe Adobe credit for their role in making pdf such a universally known format, their software is trying to control too many things on your computer and has turned into a beast that is hard to tame. In conjunction with XYPlorer you're advised to find yourself another PDF viewer to replace Adobe as they just don't work well together. Judging from the untainted experience with other viewers (I currently use PDF X-Change Editor Free) one has to assume that the fault lies with Adobe. For more info on this subject there are many posts on this forum about PDF problems and their solution.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

tedy

Post by tedy »

XY is a great app but I wouldn't (and hadn't) integrate it into Windows (replace Explorer), not up to the task (and stability) and I'm not sure it would be anytime soon (at least a 64 bit version is not on the horizon). Just my opinion. As a standalone file management app is great.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

1) The Adobe-caused issues with PDFs are easily fixed by working around Adobe: https://www.xyplorer.com/faq-topic.php?id=PDFpreview

2) Any experience of sluggishness is usually fixed by excluding XY from Defender: https://www.xyplorer.com/faq-topic.php?id=mse

3) "It also doesn't seem to like folder shortcuts that point to another server." Hmm, this is interesting. Do you have a little more information?

aminomancer

Post by aminomancer »

tedy wrote: 30 Apr 2019 14:09 XY is a great app but I wouldn't (and hadn't) integrate it into Windows (replace Explorer), not up to the task (and stability) and I'm not sure it would be anytime soon (at least a 64 bit version is not on the horizon). Just my opinion. As a standalone file management app is great.
Not true at all. I have been using it in place of explorer for about a year and I vastly prefer it to explorer. My only frustration is that not every reference to explorer can be replaced with xyplorer. Like any function in adobe software that opens a file in explorer will still use explorer. It's like they hardcoded the explorer path in that software instead of using an environment variable. I wish I could just entirely replace explorer, it seems like it could be possible for me to make progress on that but it's not my area of expertise. Registry settings is as far as I've gone, but maybe an autohotkey script could be worked out or something like that.

Anyway the software works great and is very stable for me. Not really sure what you mean. I don't have mine set up for performance either, it's probably more resource demanding for me than for most users. Haven't had a single crash in the entire time I've been using it. It was definitely slower than explorer the first week until I figured out that you need to define a windows defender exception for it. After that it has been just as fast as explorer, yet with vastly more features. How can anyone prefer to use windows explorer for their general purposes when it cannot even show folder sizes? Before xyplorer I was using this sloppy "FolderSize" software just to have access to a basic file manager feature that Mac's Finder has had for like 20 years. And of course explorer does not have tabs.

My only gripe with xyplorer is that there's not a seamless way to navigate archives as directories. At least windows' explorer can treat zip files as folders, so that's nice. I don't like having to use 7-zip as a secondary file explorer. But that's mostly an aesthetic complaint. And windows' explorer needs a pretty hamfisted third party modification to be able to open any other archive type as a folder. If I remember correctly it can only open zips, and you need a registry mod plus a third party dll to open rar, 7z, etc. So the average user is not going to get that function either. Anyway for me, archive folders would be the most desired feature for an update. That would hugely improve xyplorer. But since windows explorer doesn't have it either, and the third party mods were buggy, it's hardly a reason to keep using explorer. The only time I ever use explorer is when a program forces me to use it because it has some hardcoded link to explorer.exe. And even in those cases, I double click on the folder I need and that opens it in xyplorer so I can shut off explorer.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

aminomancer wrote: 26 May 2019 06:44My only frustration is that not every reference to explorer can be replaced with xyplorer. Like any function in adobe software that opens a file in explorer will still use explorer. It's like they hardcoded the explorer path in that software instead of using an environment variable.
Yes, they probably hard-coded it. But there is a slight chance that they are reading a certain registry branch ("Folder") that XYplorer currently does not register to. To test this I re-added the tweak ShellIncludeSpecialFolders to the next beta. Read the release note there (later today) and try the tweak to find out how bad Adobe really is... :mrgreen:

underwood

Post by underwood »

I have the same problem, that it is slow and freezing. Not with 19.90.0100, that works fine, but with the new version 20.

Maby 20 works for you :?:

aminomancer

Post by aminomancer »

admin wrote: 26 May 2019 09:50
aminomancer wrote: 26 May 2019 06:44My only frustration is that not every reference to explorer can be replaced with xyplorer. Like any function in adobe software that opens a file in explorer will still use explorer. It's like they hardcoded the explorer path in that software instead of using an environment variable.
Yes, they probably hard-coded it. But there is a slight chance that they are reading a certain registry branch ("Folder") that XYplorer currently does not register to. To test this I re-added the tweak ShellIncludeSpecialFolders to the next beta. Read the release note there (later today) and try the tweak to find out how bad Adobe really is... :mrgreen:
Hey, thanks! Wish I noticed this reply sooner. Speaking of the devil I was just recently wondering how to get the github desktop client to use xyplorer for the "open in explorer" button. I'm optimistic since it would seem pretty sad if even github coded that association into the binary, but I don't see a whole lot of registry entries related to github in the first place. I haven't really committed much time to it though. But maybe you already know of a way to resolve that? I remember there was something similar I could do with VS code. Thanks

aurban

Post by aurban »

Hey guys, sorry I've not responded earlier. Just didn't have the time until just now, when I got so fed up with XYPlorer freezing on me so much. I then found all these posts and skimmed through them when I saw one solution suggested by admin. I have to admit I was skeptical, but I've followed all instructions exactly as outlined, and lo and behold...
XYplorer is now flying and no longer crashing!!!!
I love it!!!!
THANK YOU!!!!
Basically to sum up...

I've installed the PDF reader replacement.
  • I've set up an exception in Windows Defender.
    I've instructed XYPlorer to not open PDFs with Adobe, but with the PDF replacement exactly as outlined.
    I've now used XYPlorer for 2 days solid and not one crash or slow-down.
Longer version:
1) The Adobe-caused issues with PDFs are easily fixed by working around Adobe: https://www.xyplorer.com/faq-topic.php?id=PDFpreview
2) Any experience of sluggishness is usually fixed by excluding XY from Defender: https://www.xyplorer.com/faq-topic.php?id=mse
3) "It also doesn't seem to like folder shortcuts that point to another server." Hmm, this is interesting. Do you have a little more information?

Anyone else dealing with similar issues, please try these steps and hopefully all your troubles are gone as well.

Great Support indeed guys.

Have yous all a great week!