Cinema 4D - Thumbnails

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
MaxEnrik

Cinema 4D - Thumbnails

Post by MaxEnrik »

Hello,

XYplorer does not view thumbnails, what am I to do, please?

Thank you!

MaxEnrik

Re: Cinema 4D - Thumbnails

Post by MaxEnrik »

I can't stop myself to trying tweak the settings to find solution for this issue.
When I have to check project of .C4D I always back to sys explorer.
Only one of them shows thumbnail others don't as you see.

How can I solve this issue?
(I don't believe that XY have that type of issue)

jupe

Post by jupe »

Assuming you have the x64 version of Cinema4D installed you'll need to either install the x86 version of Cinema4D or alternatively keep using the x64 version and extract the thumbnail handler from the x86 version and register just that if you know how. I have never used the software so can't confirm that they supply a x86 thumbnail handler though, its up to you to find out, but I'd assume they do.

more info that may be useful to you: http://web.archive.org/web/201609210315 ... ent-606568

Basically when using XY all preview handlers, thumbnail handlers, codecs etc that XY utilizes need to be x86 to work, not x64.

highend

Post by highend »

jupe, what information can be seen under that link (I'm unwilling to pay 10 Euro to be able to join that forum...)?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

jupe

Post by jupe »

I updated the link so you can view the info now, the relevant info was regarding registering thumbnail dlls, it looks like they paywalled the site recently.

highend

Post by highend »

Thanks for the updated link!
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

MaxEnrik

Post by MaxEnrik »

Ah! I already applied x64.
But I don't know that latest Cinema 4D r20 have x86 version. I have to ask about that from them and then I will try it.
Thanks a lot for your clearly and useful answer.

(p.s its interesting that XY shows some of them even C4D is x64 bit version and a lot of them missing.)

jupe

Post by jupe »

Yes it is strange, I'm assuming some of them have an embedded thumbnail, that's why those ones work, the ones where is needs to be generated don't work, at least that is my reasoning, it may be another cause, but IMO most likely it's because you don't have x86 handler, you can confirm what 32bit handlers are installed by using Nirsofts ShellExView.

Maybe someone who has used the software might have better info for you.

MaxEnrik

Post by MaxEnrik »

Thanks a lot for your reply, appreciate it.
by Jupe: but IMO most likely it's because you don't have x86 handler, you can confirm what 32bit handlers are installed by using Nirsofts ShellExView.
I need to share some info about 'SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS' for Cinema 4D r20.
Minimum System Requirements Cinema 4D and BodyPaint 3D
Windows 7 SP1 64-bit or higher on Intel or AMD 64-bit CPU with SSE3 support or MacOS 10.11.6 or 10.12.4+ with 64-bit CPU running on Intel-based Apple Macintosh 4 GB RAM (8 GB or more recommended), OpenGL graphics card supporting OpenGL 4.1 (dedicated GPU recommended)
So no chance to install x32/x86 C4D r20.
I already downloaded `ShellExView and I see many `Handlers by using it, cool.
I try to figure out how can I confirm it in this case?! And thinking about just viewing thumbnails will take extra 2GB spaces. I think programmer can solve or find a quick and easy way for this issue.

MaxEnrik

Post by MaxEnrik »

May the God bless you @Jupe!
x32 version solved my issue.

2nd Edition
Better to walk slow but in right way. Spent more time but decent result. (its hard to me because of my poor English)
This is the beautiful result:

MaxEnrik

Post by MaxEnrik »

Checked the settings but didn't figured out what I have to do for Folder (contains .c4d files) shows thumbnails.

jupe

Post by jupe »

That isn't supported, if you look up Folder Thumbnails in the help file you would see this:
Folder Thumbnails. The file list supports Folder Thumbnails. In Thumbnails view, folders display a
thumbnail of any file in the folder named "folder.*" where * is any of the following image extensions:
jpg, jpeg, png, gif (looked for in that order).
If no "folder.*" is found, the alphabetically first *.jpg (*.jpeg, *.png, *.gif) image in the folder is taken
(if any).
XY doesn't natively support using 3rd party shell extensions as folder thumbnails, but as you can see a workaround would be making the images yourself and naming them folder.jpg (or 1 of the other supported extensions) and locating them in each folder, if you really badly wanted a folder image.

Alternatively you can get the same style folder thumbnails that normal Windows OS thumbnails look like if you prefer them over the XY style, the OS thumbnails could possibly show a small image, you can do this by setting this tweak :

FolderThumbsShell=1

for instructions on how to tweak: https://www.xyplorer.com/faq-topic.php?id=tweak

Of course you will need this enabled in all cases:

Configuration | Preview | Thumbnails | Show folder thumbnails

MaxEnrik

Post by MaxEnrik »

Wow, its a bit weird, and thanks a lot.
I like XY style, so? Good stay with XY. :biggrin:

2nd Edition
At least there is solution.
Just curious, is it possible to give a thumbnail to the folder with `Clipboard` instead of using .jpg/.png file to put that image inside of that folder?

Thumbnail from `Clipboard` this could be really awesome.

jupe

Post by jupe »

Yes it is possible, with scripting, in fact the whole operation for all .c4d containing folders could be scripted from start to finish if you put in the effort.

In the meantime to make it a bit easier for yourself you could just use this command (with an image already on the clipboard):

Edit | Paste Special | Paste Image Into New File

then you'd just need to type the filename. ("folder" in this case)

MaxEnrik

Post by MaxEnrik »

Wooow!
I never knew that XY can do this and even its there in `Edit`, I almost go there each single day. Lack of attention.
In the meantime to make it a bit easier for yourself you could just use this command
(with an image already on the clipboard):
Edit | Paste Special | Paste Image Into New File
then you'd just need to type the filename.
Just amazing, thanks a lot for this.
Yes it is possible, with scripting, in fact the whole operation for all .c4d containing folders could be scripted from start to finish if you put in the effort.
(I read 1st version of the comment, it was true and nice by the way)

How will it work if I start to write script? (I know its depends on me while I try to write a script for it.)
I am asking because I need to imagine how would run this script for this concern.