Views - Increase Thumnails versions to #4 or more

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
MaxEnrik

Views - Increase Thumnails versions to #4 or more

Post by MaxEnrik »

I would like to increase view thumbnails limits from 3 to 4 or more, is it possible, please?
And is there a chance to define percentage for thumbnails W/H instead of fixed like 300x200, please?

jupe

Re: Views - Increase Thumnails versions to #4 or more

Post by jupe »

1. No, but you can have 3 sizes in thumbnail view and 2 sizes in tiles view, so quasi 5 different sizes.
  2. No, and personally I can't really understand how a percentage size would work properly in folders with wildly varying sized images.
FYI you can set custom thumbnail sizes though if it helps, by editing your ini file, ThumbSizes= key.

kunkel321

Post by kunkel321 »

I also would like 4 or more. It has been discussed in the past, but Don has not done it because there would be a performance cost. As such, I have to agree with him. 4+ sizes would be nice, but it would not be worth it, if it made XY slow.
ste(phen|ve) kunkel

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Yes it's been brought up before, but it would be a welcome change to get an extra thumbnail size. I don't see why there would be a significant performance hit. You are displaying only one size a any one time unless you're in dual pane. Those taking advantage of the additional thumbnail size would have more thumb caches in the thumbnail folder so that would grow in size. Thumbnails aren't pre-loaded on start-up so that shouldn't be affected. You have to initially build the new caches, but once that's done they should display as fast as they do now. Currently I use another ini file (with different thumb size values specified) in a second instance of XY to achieve another thumbnail size.
Windows 11, 22H2 Build 22621.1555 at 100% 2560x1440

MaxEnrik

Post by MaxEnrik »

@Jupe - Thank you for your reply, appreciate that. It helped a lot.
And I would like to mention 'Percentage Thumbnail Size' would work (/ like Responsive layout) when XY window size changes.
e.g: XY window size 900x600 choose thumbnail size 33%x33% (300x200), and when I change window size to maximize (/ fullscreen window) XY window size will be 1280x720 and automatically thumbnail size will set 422x238 by percentage.
OR just not using percentage then we can divide w900/3 = w300 and h600/3 = h200, so finally we automatically gets w/h thumbnail size 300x200. This method can give us a good results I think so. Because I always change XY window size slightly different, and I always try to find good thumbnail size for that windows size, its distracting / losing focus to work.
When I set fixed thumbnail size and when I change my XY window size I see a big margin/padding/gap at right side of the window.
( I hope I explained clearly what I thought about thumbnail sizes, I wish this will implement in future soon. )
All the best to you good team.

@Kunel321 - I really like XY performance today (so far really great). So if 4+ thumbnails sizes would be negative effect to the performance. Then I don't need any additional thumbnails anymore.

kunkel321

Post by kunkel321 »

Regarding 33% versus a static number of pixels, one problem I can see is defining the lower-limit of what gets reduced. For example my folders with image files almost always have images of different sizes. So with the current system, one of my 3 sizes is 240x240. If I have an image that is 1920x1080, it gets reduced to 240x135ish. If there's an image in the same folder that is 160x160, then it stays at 160x160.

If you had this same folder set to 33%, your 1920x1080 would get reduced to 640x360, and that would be fine, but your 160x160 would get reduced to 53x53, which would be too small. The solution would be to have a lower-limit of things that get reduced. With the above example your pane would be accommodating images displayed at 640 wide, so probably you'd want XY to NOT reduce anything unless it's larger than 640 high or wide. But if you're going to do that, you're back to using pixels anyway--you're using 640x640.

Not sure if that makes sense :veryconfused:
ste(phen|ve) kunkel

kunkel321

Post by kunkel321 »

Regarding 33% versus a static number of pixels, one problem I can see is defining the lower-limit of what gets reduced. For example my folders with image files almost always have images of different sizes. So with the current system, one of my 3 sizes is 240x240. If I have an image that is 1920x1080, it gets reduced to 240x135ish. If there's an image in the same folder that is 160x160, then it stays at 160x160.

If you had this same folder set to 33%, your 1920x1080 would get reduced to 640x360, and that would be fine, but your 160x160 would get reduced to 53x53, which would be too small. The solution would be to have a lower-limit of things that get reduced. With the above example your pane would be accommodating images displayed at 640 wide, so probably you'd want XY to NOT reduce anything unless it's larger than 640 high or wide. But if you're going to do that, you're back to using pixels anyway--you're using 640x640.

Not sure if that makes sense :veryconfused:
ste(phen|ve) kunkel

jupe

Post by jupe »

@MaxEnrik: Ah, I now see you meant a percentage of the window size, not a percentage of the image size as I originally assumed, I still see many pitfalls in this technique in regards to thumbnail caching, min/max thumb sizes, scripting interop etc, maybe the Dev might think differently though, but I can't see it being easy to implement while remaining properly functional from all aspects.

An option you have though if this is something you really want, is you could write a script that chooses (from the 3 avail sizes) the most suitable thumbnail size automatically, then you could either assign it to a shortcut key that you quickly press after re-sizing the window, or with the help of an external script such as AHK/AutoIt etc you could poll the window for size changes and get it to perform automatically with no shortcut key needed, or maybe make it run when you switch view mode to thumbnails. If you are interested in trying to write the script (maybe as a starter project/intro to XY scripting), these are some of main the scripting commands you would need:

controlposition() for getting the list dimensions.
getkey() for getting the thumbnail sizes from your ini file and padding values

then just perform some calculations and then just use the command ids to change to the optimum view mode. ie #306, #307, #308.

Also you should check out this: https://www.xyplorer.com/release_16.30.php#Gallery as you can see with the help of scripting you can quickly toggle thumbnail padding off, something which might also suit you and can also be assigned to a shortcut key.

Yet another alternative thing you could script is a few preset window sizes and thumbnail sizes, so with the click of a button/KB shortcut you get a specific window size and window position, and thumbnail size that matches.

MaxEnrik

Post by MaxEnrik »

@Jupe - Wow, really great reply thank you! So you gave me ideas that how I can solve my issues.
Unfortunately, I don't know programming languages, no coding at all. I will ruin my life if I found myself around the pool of coding/scripting.

If I know surely that XY team will care of my post about thumbnail sizes I will take a time and make a small design that what is my idea. I will explain more widely with images.
Of course, I think my idea is very valuable because user wouldn't play with shortcuts and/or pushing some buttons to find a right thumbnail sizes so user will not lose focus to do own job. I believe this implement will be positive effect to smooth workflow (which is its very important thing).

( I used to other applications. Now I don't use all of them they slows down workflow. Now I use XY and additionally ARen for regex.
So I would like to see XY have more Responsive layout. )

@kunkel321 - I didn't talked about image sizes, just window size of XY.