Shared Tag File Size, 2nd try

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
zmachine01

Shared Tag File Size, 2nd try

Post by zmachine01 »

Well I asked this question a while back and there was no response so I'm trying again because I would really like to know this :

"Ok so now that we're running XY with the the auto-refreshing shared tag database, and thank you - it works wonderfully, is there any potential that the shared tag database file will become so big and cumbersome that it will start to affect XY's performance? I mean, what are the limitations? What if I wanted all my files to have the entire text of Ulysses forwards and backwards attached to them in the comment field?"

Thank you

RalphM

Re: Shared Tag File Size, 2nd try

Post by RalphM »

As I'm not using tagging at all I might be the wrong guy to give you an answer and therefore leave the technical details to others that use it as well but as a general rule I would assume that you could run into limitations along the line with your given example, i.e. total size of the tag database, loading that file with every XY start, refreshing it with every change etc. but I assume the real performance issues might creep up if you start adding extra columns with these contents to your file list in order to filter them and such.
Maybe you could test this with your particular setup and a few thousand test files to see where this might lead performance wise.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

zmachine01

Post by zmachine01 »

Ahh... Yes! there's someone alive out there! Thank you, RalphM. Testing it out is a good idea. Up until now I have just been very conservative with the comment tags that I add to my files... and during the writing of this sentence I just thought of my next question to post. But anyway I will try that.
I'm still a bit bewildered by the lack of response to this post. Was it just such a silly question or... I mean jeesh I hope I didn't make anyone's monocle pop out :eh:

highend

Post by highend »

The current file size limit is a bit above 100 MB.
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sorry, that I did not see/reply to the original question. So, yes, when that database is very fat, it will affect performance, but not extremely. Startup time willl suffer the most. Then a lot of RAM will be eaten and that will slow down things as well. The listing of folders will be slower, but notably only with very large folders. Still I would not recommend to attach Ulysses forwards AND backwards.

Note that XY also supports local databases (within the folder of the tagged items). Using this approach you won't have global search for tags, but you can totally forget about any performance issues.

timwillhack

Post by timwillhack »

I know this is an old post but relevance is more important than date stamps to me... I'm starting to use xyplorer to tag images generated, about 2k per day. I'm using it to filter good/bad/funny etc. I'm concerned after opening the tag.dat file that every time I tag a file, it basically appends a row of text to that file, with the full path as well as whatever tags I added to that image file. You mention that you can do local folder tagging db's but then you lose global search (very important to me). Is there any way to do both? It could use the local one if you search a folder you are in and it has a local db file. Otherwise aggregate all the local files. I know its a big ask as a developer but figured I'd throw it in here. Maybe things have changed since I bought Xyplorer (I'm using 23.2). Honestly I will probably end up basically doing yearly or so tag.dat files, and just close the app and reopen for the year i need, so I don't lose any tags but keeps the database small as it resets when I rename it. I think I'm starting to see a performance drop when I tag something currently and I only have 5500 images tagged so far, so I'm anticipating needing to figure something out - thanks

highend

Post by highend »

And your tag.dat file is how large atm?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

Norn

Post by Norn »

I saved the tags to ADS (Alternate Data Stream), but it requires NTFS partition format, and Everything 1.5a supports searching ADS.
For backup: WinRAR can compress and save ADS, tick the option or via command line. Or write a script.
Win10, Win11 @100% 2560x1440 22H2

timwillhack

Post by timwillhack »

my tag.dat file is only 2mb right now but it is going to grow substantially. I think its ok, because it seems to only write to file after closing xyplorer. I'll keep an eye on it.

GreetingsFromPoland

Post by GreetingsFromPoland »

hi! check the following setting if you want to save your tag data (and others) immediately after making the change(s) (instead of waiting to save on exit) :

Code: Select all

Configuration | General | Startup & Exit | Save Settings | [x] Save changes to disk immediately
and then click "Apply to..." and select Tags.