Settings are erroneously saved

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
mikeyww

Re: Settings are erroneously saved

Post by mikeyww »

RalphM wrote: 31 Mar 2019 04:52 As from the beta description on the new tweak for this I understand that if you set the tweak to 0 that all changes made to tabsets during a session are automatically saved on exit (unless you exit without saving) and on a manual Save Settings.
So in order to fulfill the OP's wish we must exit without saving thus losing all the other changes made to XY during that session.
Wouldn't a list of settings to apply save settings to (similar to the list under MRU) add more choice/granularity to this?
My understanding is that marking "Allow tabsets to be revertible across sessions" means that the temporary tabsets will be loaded again upon startup. In addition, and as usual (I think), "Save settings on exit" will save the temporary tabsets as permanent if "Apply to tabsets" is marked. To save settings automatically on exit without saving the tabsets as permanent, one would simply unmark "Apply to tabsets". Thus-- and I could be misunderstanding this-- "revertible" refers to the temporary tabsets, whereas "Apply to tabsets" refers to the permanent ones.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

mikeyww wrote: 31 Mar 2019 14:11
RalphM wrote: 31 Mar 2019 04:52 As from the beta description on the new tweak for this I understand that if you set the tweak to 0 that all changes made to tabsets during a session are automatically saved on exit (unless you exit without saving) and on a manual Save Settings.
So in order to fulfill the OP's wish we must exit without saving thus losing all the other changes made to XY during that session.
Wouldn't a list of settings to apply save settings to (similar to the list under MRU) add more choice/granularity to this?
My understanding is that marking "Allow tabsets to be revertible across sessions" means that the temporary tabsets will be loaded again upon startup. In addition, and as usual (I think), "Save settings on exit" will save the temporary tabsets as permanent if "Apply to tabsets" is marked. To save settings automatically on exit without saving the tabsets as permanent, one would simply unmark "Apply to tabsets".
Part 1: Yes.

Part 2: No, that "Apply to tabsets" just refers to the most-recently-used list of tabsets.

mikeyww

Post by mikeyww »

Works for me!

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

While I agree this solves the OP's problem and I can keep the old behavior as well by leaving the tweak set to 1, I was thinking outside the box for users who might want to have other changes to XY saved on exit bar the changes to tabsets which won't be possible as of yet.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, let's keep it simple for now.

elqasar2

Post by elqasar2 »

The latest betas say the help file has been updated, but I don't see any changes in the help file about Tabsets. For example I still see text such as "Note that the temporary state is preserved even across sessions."

By the way, although I see that the new tweak is automatically set to 1 on upgrades meaning the way my current Tabsets work is unaffected, I feel quite uneasy about the latest changes to the way saving Tabsets works. I can't say I agree that the default for new installs should be for the current Tabsets in use to get saved whenever the program's general settings are saved.

I suppose you will wait to see what others feel about it too. But I wonder how many people use Tabsets a lot, and how many of them will voice their opinion.

mikeyww

Post by mikeyww »

It's hard to argue for a default setting that would discard a configuration setting. I think that most users would expect a program state to remain intact upon restart, unless told otherwise, or unless selected otherwise.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'll update the help (had overlooked that bit).

Other than that I agree with mikeyww.

elqasar2

Post by elqasar2 »

RalphM wrote: 29 Mar 2019 15:18 I like the current way of being able to open a tabset and then do whatever to bring it to a "dirty" state with lots of extra tabs and location changes but then be able to just reload the tabset again to be back to a clean state.
That's the way I use them anyway.
This is exactly how I use tabsets too. And I've used them extensively for years.

Knowing I can always go back to the explicitly saved state no matter how long ago I chose to explicitly save the tabset. As for all the rest of XYplorer's options, those get saved very regularly and every time that XYplorer exits. The idea of saving a tabset and saving XYplorer's general configuration options are something entirely different and entirely separate. The OP's issue could have simply been solved by having him choose 'Revert to Saved'. I don't see why any change was necessary after years of working the way it did.

mikeyww wrote: 05 Apr 2019 17:33 It's hard to argue for a default setting that would discard a configuration setting.
What gets discarded in the way it used to work by default? The tabset state would be saved across sessions and could be manually reverted to the last saved state. Nothing was discarded. Tabsets recorded a specific state of a set of tabs that could be reverted to after getting to a "dirty" state as RalphM describes it, they were never regarded before as general configuration settings.

mikeyww wrote: 05 Apr 2019 17:33 I think that most users would expect a program state to remain intact upon restart, unless told otherwise, or unless selected otherwise.
Yes, that's exactly how tabsets used to work by default.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Check out the change log v19.80.0131 - 2019-03-30 13:55. I explained it all, and I also cared for you.

mikeyww

Post by mikeyww »

I read the changelog and was really impressed with the thoughtfulness that went into the changes. Thank you! It seems like everyone should be happy with this.

mikeyww

Post by mikeyww »

I have experienced the periodic issue of tabsets being saved when I did not save them. I navigated to Q:\scanned\ but did not save it as part of the tabset. It is now being loaded upon each restart. My tabset generally has one locked tab in each pane. XY Version: 19.80.0138.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Need the steps...

mikeyww

Post by mikeyww »

admin wrote: 07 Apr 2019 16:24Need the steps...
I wish I knew how to reproduce this. It seems to happen randomly, though I'm sure that there is actually a pattern instead. I do not yet know what it is.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Did you use any of the commands in the Tabsets menu?