LNK Files (Shortcuts) Opens Explorer

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
VeeGee

LNK Files (Shortcuts) Opens Explorer

Post by VeeGee »

Good morning all,
Double-clicking a shortcut/LNK file in 19.50.0117 opens the destination in (ack) Explorer. This does not happen in 19.50.0116. I have verified this on 2 machines today. If I rollback to .0016, XY opens the destination as expected in XY.

Windows 10, x64 1809.

highend

Re: LNK Files (Shortcuts) Opens Explorer

Post by highend »

Works fine in 19.50.0117 here...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

Thanks for checking. Applied the same update on my HTPC machine (now tested on 3 machines) and am having the same results. I'm also not making any configuration changes between updates. The settings in .0016 are the same in .0017. Is there any setting I should look for that would be related to opening shortcuts ? I could then turn it on/off to refresh the configuration file.

EDIT : Forgot to mention, all these LNK files are network shortcuts. Shortcuts that point to my local folders, e.g. C, D, E, etc., don't appear to be affected. For my networking settings, I have the following options checked/enabled :
Fast network enumeration
Assume that servers are available
Cache network servers

I'll clear and re-enable these, restart XY and see if that helps.

EDIT of EDIT : To troubleshoot, I restarted just XY - same issue. Restarted machine - same issue. On each machine I unchecked and rechecked the three options above, restarted XY and the LNKs are WORKING !

So far now, all seems to be repaired and working.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Weird. I did not do anything (from 116 to 117) that could affect this. Win10 is full of surprises...

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

Good afternoon,
I started to experience this again today. Windows 10, x64 1809. XY 19.80.0133. Any LNK/shortcut that pointed to a network share would open in a new Explorer window and not XY. I checked my network settings - 3 are checked (see below). I tried various combinations of settings and XY restarts, same results. Even with all 4 enabled.

I had recently ran the "List Management House Cleaning" script and cleared out all my network entries (since I removed an old NAS from the network).

For this network location, I copied the UNC path from the Explorer window and pasted it into XY. XY immediately browsed to the network location. Now in XY, clicking a LNK that points to that network share will now browse it properly w/o opening Explorer. So it seems (for me at least) that I need to manually browse a network location at least once in XY for it to cache it. After that, it opens continuously in XY.

Here are my current network settings :
Image-029.png
Image-029.png (2.53 KiB) Viewed 2557 times
Now I know that if I clear out network locations, to at least visit the UNC location via copy/paste manually and XY should be back in business.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

1) You click that LNK in XYplorer, right?

2) I assume when you untick "Cache network servers" it will never work?

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

admin wrote: 02 Apr 2019 19:58 1) You click that LNK in XYplorer, right?
Yes. All clicks, etc. are done within XY. I only leave XY to copy the UNC path from the address bar of the opened Explorer window. I then switch back to XY and paste into the address bar.
admin wrote: 02 Apr 2019 19:58 2) I assume when you untick "Cache network servers" it will never work?
Correct. If I untick that that setting and restart XY, it always opens the LNKs in an Explorer window.

As I mentioned, once I do this once for each location, e.g. another workstation w/shares, NAS, HTPC, etc., all is good within XY (as long as I don't clear out the history of the network location). If a network resource is show/visible in this window (example workstation on the network w/a share that I access via a LNK/shortcut from my workstation) :
Image-030.png
Image-030.png (5.5 KiB) Viewed 2550 times
browsing directly to it works every time in XY (and it's fast too).

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It might be fixed in the next beta...

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

Thank you for the update. Here are my steps that I did to test out the latest beta (all steps done in XY) :
1 - updated to 19.80.0134
2 - cleared out any reference to my previously access networked locations (using the House Cleaning script)
3 - restarted XY / browsed to a local folder that contains a LNK file / double-clicked the LNK file
4 - since it was the first time accessing, it took a few extra seconds, but it navigated to the networked folder in XY !
...and...
also opened a Windows Explorer window (XY top / Explorer bottom - note Explorer was not already opened) :
Image-032.png
Image-032.png (22.09 KiB) Viewed 2532 times
5 - restarted XY, went back to the folder, double-clicked the LNK file again. XY instantly browsed it up and still opened an Explorer window.
6 - tried it on a new/different network location, same results w/the extra window opening :
Image-033.png
Image-033.png (17.02 KiB) Viewed 2532 times
Fix seems to be working, but now appears to be opening/triggering Explorer to do the same.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ah yes ( :ninja: ), fixed in next beta.

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

Thank you for the update. Tried out the latest beta and it is working great (and super fast too) ! No extra Explorer window - everything is within XY.

1024mb

Post by 1024mb »

I want to report that now with 19.80.0135 XYPlorer opens the lnk destination folder instead of launching the program with the parameters specified in the shortcut.
I have an Opera shortcut named, well, Opera.lnk, and when double clicking it the destination is opened in the same tab and Opera ins't launched, in 0134 this behavior was present but kinda different, XYPlorer opened the destination folder but also launched the program. The shortcut is not in the network.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Indeed, I made a mistake there. I'll try again...

1024mb

Post by 1024mb »

admin wrote: 04 Apr 2019 08:28 Indeed, I made a mistake there. I'll try again...
Now is working fine, thanks!

selukwe

Post by selukwe »

Unlike in previous versions, version 19.80.0139 still opens Explorer when clicking on some LNK shortcuts to drive C - for example the Downloads folder. Is there some setting to enforce their opening in XY? Shortcuts to drive D open OK in XY. I haven't tested shortcuts to other drives. I have returned to v 19.80.0108 and this works flawlessly.
Last edited by selukwe on 06 Apr 2019 13:45, edited 1 time in total.