Settings are erroneously saved

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
admin
Site Admin

Re: Settings are erroneously saved

Post by admin »

Well, it now turned out that it's not as simple as I thought.

Tabsets lead their own life, separate from the other settings.

1) When you save "All Settings", the current tabset it not saved finally, but only temporarily (that's in the "t\" folder). That way you still can revert-to-save the tabset in the next session.

2) If I now remove those "t\" folders on "exit without saving" then all current tabsets are automatically reverted-to-saved on next start. This breaks year-old behavior and is certainly not expected or desired.

Nevertheless, I understand your concern and I can see a way out of this by adding this option:
[X] Allow tabsets to be revertible across sessions

You would then untick this option.

If anybody has a better idea (or only a better wording for that option) let me know.

mikeyww

Post by mikeyww »

Hello, thank you for this detail. From your message, I understand that XY is designed to have both saved and temporary tabsets, and that the temporary ones load on restart, rather than the saved ones. Is that correct?

Regardless of the answer, I am uncertain why I have experienced variations in XY's behavior surrounding this. It usually loads only saved tabsets, but has on occasion (like this one) loaded the temporary ones. Is this related to my previous searches?

From my perspective, none of this actually makes sense, and the program should work as follows instead. Since the user currently has the ability to save various tabsets and also to save the current ones, and the user can already decide what to save upon exit, these existing features should, and can, control whether the current, temporary tabsets are saved and reloaded upon exit. If the user would like to save the current, temporary tabs upon every exit, then any other varieties of "saved tabsets" could simply be saved separately as named tabsets that could then be loaded later upon demand. This would obviate any need for you to add a new option as you have mentioned. This user would select to save current tabsets automatically upon exit. Other users, who prefer to load only the saved tabsets and not the most recent ones upon restarting XY, would opt not to save the current tabsets automatically upon exit. It's that simple, I think, and would probably require only minimal changes, no changes to conceptualization of the current program design, and no new options, I believe.

mikeyww

Post by mikeyww »

And by all means, if just adding a new option is easier, then OK!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

mikeyww wrote: 28 Mar 2019 23:31 Hello, thank you for this detail. From your message, I understand that XY is designed to have both saved and temporary tabsets, and that the temporary ones load on restart, rather than the saved ones. Is that correct?

Regardless of the answer, I am uncertain why I have experienced variations in XY's behavior surrounding this. It usually loads only saved tabsets, but has on occasion (like this one) loaded the temporary ones. Is this related to my previous searches?

From my perspective, none of this actually makes sense, and the program should work as follows instead. Since the user currently has the ability to save various tabsets and also to save the current ones, and the user can already decide what to save upon exit, these existing features should, and can, control whether the current, temporary tabsets are saved and reloaded upon exit. If the user would like to save the current, temporary tabs upon every exit, then any other varieties of "saved tabsets" could simply be saved separately as named tabsets that could then be loaded later upon demand. This would obviate any need for you to add a new option as you have mentioned. This user would select to save current tabsets automatically upon exit. Other users, who prefer to load only the saved tabsets and not the most recent ones upon restarting XY, would opt not to save the current tabsets automatically upon exit. It's that simple, I think, and would probably require only minimal changes, no changes to conceptualization of the current program design, and no new options, I believe.
Well, if I understand you right that's what I meant with that new option ([X] Allow tabsets to be revertible across sessions).

I personally don't use tabsets that much, but when I did a few times I remember that I was surprised by the fact that the "saved version" (t-folder) is not the "really saved version", and that revert-to-saved did not bring me back to 1 hour ago but to 8 months ago! Without a way to undo. :( So, for me it would be okay to change the default behavior to have tabsets NOT to be revertible across sessions. This would solve your problem and mine. I would add a tweak to return the old behavior (and I would auto-set that tweak for upgraders).

But what about those who often use tabsets? What do you think about this idea?

mikeyww

Post by mikeyww »

Very good! I look forward to seeing what others think, too.

highend

Post by highend »

I'd like it...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

I like the current way of being able to open a tabset and then do whatever to bring it to a "dirty" state with lots of extra tabs and location changes but then be able to just reload the tabset again to be back to a clean state.
That's the way I use them anyway.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

I also need to have a pristine version of the tabsets handy. Guess I'll keep that upcoming tweak turned on.
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

mikeyww

Post by mikeyww »

RalphM wrote: 29 Mar 2019 15:18 I like the current way of being able to open a tabset and then do whatever to bring it to a "dirty" state with lots of extra tabs and location changes but then be able to just reload the tabset again to be back to a clean state.
That's the way I use them anyway.
I think this would continue to work as planned, because you could still revert to the saved tabset.

mikeyww

Post by mikeyww »

SammaySarkar wrote: 29 Mar 2019 15:32 I also need to have a pristine version of the tabsets handy. Guess I'll keep that upcoming tweak turned on.
My understanding is that a new option, "Allow tabsets to be revertible across sessions", will be unmarked by default, and you would want to maintain this default to meet your needs.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Alright, next beta will have it... :tup:

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

As from the beta description on the new tweak for this I understand that if you set the tweak to 0 that all changes made to tabsets during a session are automatically saved on exit (unless you exit without saving) and on a manual Save Settings.
So in order to fulfill the OP's wish we must exit without saving thus losing all the other changes made to XY during that session.
Wouldn't a list of settings to apply save settings to (similar to the list under MRU) add more choice/granularity to this?
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You have some granularity in submenu (Files | Settings Special | ...). I understood that the OP did not want to save anything.

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

Yes I understood the same that the OP didn't want to save anything but all we achieved now is that if nothing at all is saved the tabsets stay in their original state as well which could have been achieved with a reload of (both, if applicable) tabsets on startup as well?!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We also have achieved that no traces are left on the disk (no "t" folder).

It's a clean solution now, and in line with all other settings.