Tags / Keywords

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
jdonalds

Tags / Keywords

Post by jdonalds »

I'm evaluating XYplorer at this point.

All of my photo files have the names of the persons shown in the photo entered in the Tag filed. That is the Tag filed in the file IPTC fields. I've tried many ways to see those Tags using XYplorer but they never show up. Is there a trick to getting XYplorer to show, and allow editing of, the IPTC Tag field?

I have 50,000 photos and have spent untold numbers of hours entering Tags. One advantage of Tagging photos in the IPTC field group is the Tags are in the photo file. I can mail the photos and the person who receives the mail will receive photos tagged with all of the names of those in the photos (family genealogy work).

The Windows 7 Windows Explorer has the best viewer/editor for Tags that I've ever found. But Windows 7 is losing support as of January 2020 and the new File Manager of Windows 10 totally sucks as a Tag editor / viewer. The worst thing is File Manager alphabetically sorts the Tags - killing my work of entering names left-to-right.

I'm hoping XYplorer can fill this need but so far not as far as I can see.

Any help would be appreciated.

highend

Re: Tags / Keywords

Post by highend »

Provide one of those pictures by uploading it to some file hoster (e.g. drop box or something else) and post a link
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

jdonalds

Post by jdonalds »

This photo has a Tag field loaded with "Cameron Kelley"

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tUCuc ... xO5PjQZNtv

highend

Post by highend »

Try it with a custom column and the exiv2 command line tool (XY does not support decoding the byte sequence for Exif.Image.XPKeywords):
http://www.exiv2.org/download.html

Type snippet; into the address bar and confirm it with the {ENTER} key

Paste this into the new litte window:
Of course you have to change the path to exiv2.exe^^

Code: Select all

Snip: CustomColumn 1
  XYplorer 19.80.0004, 14.03.2019 20:04:02
Action
  ConfigureColumn
Caption
  Tags
Type
Definition
      $exiv = "D:\Tools\@Command Line Tools\exiv2\exiv2.exe";
      return trim(runret("""$exiv"" -Pt -q -g Exif.Image.XPKeywords ""<cc_item>"""), <crlf>, "R");
Format
Trigger
Item Type
Item Filter
  jpg;jpeg
Add that new custom column to your columns...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

aubrey97

Post by aubrey97 »

@highend -- I haven't tried this but I'm a little confused as to what it achieves. Without any external software the Cameron Kelly (in the sample picture from the OP) shows up just fine in a custom column Property > Tags -- which is what I use all the time.
20190321 2202 Blatt 1515.jpg
20190321 2202 Blatt 1515.jpg (15.92 KiB) Viewed 1501 times
or one could search for these tags, again without any external software with things like
?prop:#018:Cameron