Drag & Drop from Browser

Features wanted...
kodyman

Drag & Drop from Browser

Post by kodyman »

I have a folder set up to save browser bookmarks. If I find something I want to reference later I select and drag the link from the address bar. Works fine, Except when I drag a link that is already in the folder.
Instead of getting a pop-up that alerts me the "file" already exists like in WE, it just puts the link in the folder again with a (copy of -01) suffix.
I have looked through the configuration settings and help but haven't found anything that seems to address this.
I am running the latest ver 19.60.0100. But this has been happening for some time with earlier versions. I'm just finally getting around to asking about it.

Any suggestions on how to get the pop-up to display in Xy vs using WE for my drag and drops?

Thanks

kodyman

Re: Drag & Drop from Browser

Post by kodyman »

A gentle bump...

Could someone check to see if the above is normal for drag and drop from the browser address bar with Xyp?
ie. you get a 2nd (or even 3rd or more) copy of the same address with the (copy of -xx) suffix added to each filename.
Instead of being notified via a pop-up that it already exists.
I still haven't found a setting that I may have clicked to cause this. Other "normal" drag and drop file copy/move work fine in Xyp. I get notification if it already exists.

I am currently keeping a small WE window open in the corner of my screen to drag to since it will provide me the notification. I would rather just have Xyp open to drag to, opening up some screen space.

Thanks.

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

Yes, can confirm. Moving topic to wishes.
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

kodyman

Post by kodyman »

Thank you confirming Sammay.
Now I know it wasn't a setting I overlooked. I will watch to see if the wish is implemented.
Until then I'll keep using WE for this particular kind of drag and drop.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ah yes, it's on my list since viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12773

Guess I'll add it now... :whistle:

yuyu

Post by yuyu »

admin wrote: 18 Feb 2019 16:55 Guess I'll add it now... :whistle:
Please could you also add a possibility to copy from addressbar to catalog?
I mean drag.
Last edited by yuyu on 19 Feb 2019 17:13, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hä? :eh:

yuyu

Post by yuyu »

admin wrote: 19 Feb 2019 17:10Hä? :eh:
Impossible to drag addresses to catalog.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Address Bar does not support any dragging, sorry.

jupe

Post by jupe »

I think he means the web browser address bar to catalog

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ah, sure!

But the answer is no. Or maybe later. Not easy to do and does not fit in right now.

kodyman

Post by kodyman »

Adding the Name Collision alert with options when already having a file with the same name has been VERY helpful when doing a drag & drop from the browser.
As you know, currently there are two options. Yes to overwrite the existing and Cancel.
If I could, I would like to expand on this wish to add one more option. Goto the existing. This could allow modifications to be made to tags, labels, comments, etc if wanted.

Currently I am able to go to it by selecting and copying the file name in the collision pop-up, bring up quick search, paste and enter. It works but less steps would be easier.

I just thought of another way of doing it. Go ahead and overwrite the existing, it doesn't change existing tags, comments, labels etc, and then search for modified files within the last few minutes or so. Although that could take some time to find depending on where the file is located and show more than the intended file.

Anyway, please consider this, or if there an easier way I haven't thought of let me know.

Thank You!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

kodyman wrote: 29 Jan 2020 18:07 As you know, currently there are two options. Yes to overwrite the existing and Cancel.
Are you talking about this one? I see three options.
Attachments
2020-02-07_171202.png
2020-02-07_171202.png (5.21 KiB) Viewed 3256 times

kodyman

Post by kodyman »

Sorry for the VERY late reply. I did not notice the message notification. :oops:
Yes, those are the three buttons I was referring to.
When a name collision occurs, I was asking for an option, maybe call it an alternative, to the No option.
A way to Goto and display the existing collision. This would allow me to see when it was originally saved and what tags/comments I may have added and allow editing if I wanted.
Currently clicking NO still saves it, but with an alternative filename and Cancel ends everything with no saves or changes.

Since my last post what I have been doing on a collision is selecting Yes. Which changes the file's modified date. And with highend's assistance in a different thread, set up a quick search for modified in the last 5 minutes in the Hamburger menu. After I say Yes, I do the search and modify the tags/comment if I want.

So, short story long, if you want to add an alternative option that would be great. If not I will continue as I have been. I am sure you have more pressing options to work on.

Thanks,