A way to merge content of two tag.dat files?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
chumbo

A way to merge content of two tag.dat files?

Post by chumbo »

Hi,
I have several tag.dat files I've accumulated through various backups/restore.
Is there a good and safe way of merging these files?
My idea was to first get a big 'master' tag.dat file which contains all the tags and then, I believe there is some kind of cleanup tool in XY that will remove all orphan tags.

So it's really for the first step of merging these different tag.dat files that I need help...any ideas?
Thanks!

jupe

Re: A way to merge content of two tag.dat files?

Post by jupe »

Probably the easiest way is just to run the following command individually on each tag.dat file you want to merge, which will merge the file into your currently loaded tag.dat. Keep in mind if the same file is tagged in multiple tag.dats, it will only keep one version of the tag (see the help file more details)

tagload(<curitem>, 1);

and then the orphan tools is here:

Configuration | Information | Tags | Options

chumbo

Post by chumbo »

Great thx!
Searching tag.dat in the Help yields lots of results with a lot to read. If you know exactly what it is I should be reading, could you point me more precisely to where in the Help I should be looking?
Thanks!

jupe

Post by jupe »

I suggested to you the tagload() command, so looking that up would be a good place to start, its in the Advanced Topics\Scripting Commands section.

chumbo

Post by chumbo »

Thanks, I'll do that! :wink: