DragNDrop Context Menu?

Features wanted...
John Bee

DragNDrop Context Menu?

Post by John Bee »

Hi;

First, I have to say that I never thought that I would find a file manager to make me want to switch from xplorer2 lite, but I have. Well almost.

I would use TrackerV3 except for the missing entries in the DragNDrop context menu. (ie. I do *all* my archiving/unarchiving with 7zip via the context menu entry.) In all other repects, TrackerV3 is beyond xplorer2 lite in features, that are actually usefull.

So, if I might put forth a few wishes:

1. drag n drop context menu entries back in. (without this I can't use T3)
2. grid in listview.
3. full row select in listview.

John Bee
(Thanks for a great program.)

admin
Site Admin

Re: DragNDrop Context Menu?

Post by admin »

John Bee wrote:1. drag n drop context menu entries back in. (without this I can't use T3)
2. grid in listview.
Hi John,
your wish number 1 is on my list since some time and I agree that this is maybe the one most missing feature. I plan to add it but it won't be very soon (because it's not that easy to do).
2. grid... I find a grid rather ugly. What about odd row white, even row light gray?
3. okay. I could join this with the "Highlite focused row" setting, what do you think?

Don

John Bee

Post by John Bee »

admin wrote:
John Bee wrote:1. drag n drop context menu entries back in. (without this I can't use T3)
2. grid in listview.
Hi John,
your wish number 1 is on my list since some time and I agree that this is maybe the one most missing feature. I plan to add it but it won't be very soon (because it's not that easy to do).
2. grid... I find a grid rather ugly. What about odd row white, even row light gray?
3. okay. I could join this with the "Highlite focused row" setting, what do you think?

Don
Hi;

2. Yes that would be fine in lieu of grid
3. Yea, great!

1. Are you not using the MS standard treeview/listview components? These have the drag n drop stuff built in to them.

Thanks for this.

John Bee

Manifold

Post by Manifold »

John Bee wrote:1. Are you not using the MS standard treeview/listview components? These have the drag n drop stuff built in to them.
As far as I know, I think admin custom builds everything for total control..

John Bee

Post by John Bee »

Manifold wrote:
John Bee wrote:1. Are you not using the MS standard treeview/listview components? These have the drag n drop stuff built in to them.
As far as I know, I think admin custom builds everything for total control..
Hi;

I had a suspicion they were custom. Ok then maybe I will revise wish #1 as follows:

Allow the user to add his/her own entries to the context menu. That would solve the problem. How's that for a thought Admin?

John Bee

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ah, that's why you said "entries back in"! :D No, I don't use any standard components, T3's all hand-made.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

John Bee wrote: I had a suspicion they were custom. Ok then maybe I will revise wish #1 as follows:

Allow the user to add his/her own entries to the context menu. That would solve the problem. How's that for a thought Admin?
First, I should have mentioned before that I won't add any new features for the coming weeks, sorry. There's been a lot of featuring-adding in the last months and then finally the release of 4.0, and I and the app need a break to sit down and see where we are so far.
But of course I will fix bugs and collect your wishes for later consideration.

Second, just out of curiosity: what entries would you like to add?

Don

John Bee

Post by John Bee »

admin wrote:
John Bee wrote: I had a suspicion they were custom. Ok then maybe I will revise wish #1 as follows:

First, I should have mentioned before that I won't add any new features for the coming weeks, sorry. There's been a lot of featuring-adding in the last months and then finally the release of 4.0, and I and the app need a break to sit down and see where we are so far.
But of course I will fix bugs and collect your wishes for later consideration.

Second, just out of curiosity: what entries would you like to add?

Don
Hi
The one I need: the 7zip entry. It is an entry with a sub menu giving options to extract here, extract to <archive name> folder, etc. TugZip is another program that gives these types of options in the drag n drop context menu.

However, I won't pressure you into this, as I can continue using xplorer2 lite. It's just, yours is so much nicer. Ah well, I guess I will just have to wait.

Again, thanks for a really nice program.

John Bee

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I use WinZip with T3 and got accustomed to use the standard context menu of ZIP files (not the dragndrop one) for extracting business: it also contains Extract to here, Extract to <folder> etc... It's a workaround but it works around :wink:

John Bee

Post by John Bee »

admin wrote:I use WinZip with T3 and got accustomed to use the standard context menu of ZIP files (not the dragndrop one) for extracting business: it also contains Extract to here, Extract to <folder> etc... It's a workaround but it works around :wink:
Hi

Yes is true, and 7zip, Tugzip et al, also have this function as well.

Problem with this is that you have to use it's browse dialog to point it to where you want to extract the file. A real pain in the butt, especially when there is a *must* easier way to do it. Just drag n drop it to the destination folder in the treeview. One single action. That's what drag n drop is designed for.

But, each to his own, and I respect that. ;)

John Bee

John Bee

Post by John Bee »

John Bee wrote:
admin wrote:I use WinZip with T3 and got accustomed to use the standard context menu of ZIP files (not the dragndrop one) for extracting business: it also contains Extract to here, Extract to <folder> etc... It's a workaround but it works around :wink:
Hi

Yes is true, and 7zip, Tugzip et al, also have this function as well.

Problem with this is that you have to use it's browse dialog to point it to where you want to extract the file. A real pain in the butt, especially when there is a *must* easier way to do it. Just drag n drop it to the destination folder in the treeview. One single action. That's what drag n drop is designed for.

But, each to his own, and I respect that. ;)

John Bee
No Replies? Gosh, I hope I haven't said something wrong. :(

In re-reading my reply to you, I get the sense that it may be taken the wrong way. If this is what happened, then I am sorry.

I still download all the betas as they come out. As I said above, I can wait for the context menus entries, whenever you get around to them.

Again, thank you for a great program! :D

John Bee

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

John Bee wrote:No Replies? Gosh, I hope I haven't said something wrong. :(
Not at all, no worries :) I just did not see any need to reply. I agree with everything you said.

The even better news: there's substantial hope that the menu entries will come! A wise man has shown me the way... but still: it will be later.

John Bee

Post by John Bee »

admin wrote:
John Bee wrote:No Replies? Gosh, I hope I haven't said something wrong. :(
Not at all, no worries :) I just did not see any need to reply. I agree with everything you said.

The even better news: there's substantial hope that the menu entries will come! A wise man has shown me the way... but still: it will be later.
Hi
This is all I can hope for. :D

John Bee

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, John Bee, I did it. Check the latest BETA.

John Bee

Post by John Bee »

admin wrote:Well, John Bee, I did it. Check the latest BETA.
Hi;

Absolutely Stupendos, :D

All that's left is full row select and the grid view (alternating colors?) in the listview.

I have downloaded and used it for a number of hours already, and all is well, except one thing that I cannot track down due to it happening irregularly, I lose mouse wheel support in T3. The only way to get it back is to exit and restart T3. I will keep a close eye on it and let you know what causes it when I figure it out.

Again, thank you for an excellent program.

John