HoverBox improvements

Features wanted...
suslo

Re: [SOLVED] HoverBox improvements

Post by suslo »

admin wrote:Actually I've been thinking about this as well. But what with large folders? Does not work without scrollbars
1) if we speak about a 0-click way of displaying the content of a hovered folder within the tree/list, then there could be an option to define some desired quantity of a nested items to be displayed in this hover-box (for instance, it may be 40 or 50 or 60 nested folders/files)

i don't think that i will use this feature though. much more i prefer the approach which is described below

2) my thoughts concerning this whole idea (displaying the content) are:
xy could become even more useful in case a convenient way of displaying the content of any folder (without opening it) is implemented

this is how i have (since 2009) this remarkably useful feature/possibility in my operating system:
suslo--folder-content.png
suslo--folder-content.png (69.57 KiB) Viewed 3864 times
the image shows the result after the many-sided 'shell toys' program was installed (1 of its numerous options was activated: 'folder contents')
in this example the whole content of the 'security' folder is available with 1 right click
of course, slight moving of the cursor is also needed to get the corresponding 'folder contents' menu item hovered

any of 3 nested folders may be opened directly from this context menu
any of 4 nested files may be executed directly from this context menu
this is probably the only reason i still keep this program (while not really using all its other numerous options)

so in xy i miss very much a similar built-in possibility to have a convenient 1-click way to quickly see/check (and even directly load a file or directly open a folder) the content of any folder just by invoking its context menu

by the way, now xy offers the quite limited possibility of displaying the content of a folder without opening it. but:
- it only works in the tree
- it only works when there is the expansion icon
- it only works above the expansion icon
- it only displays the nested folders (not the nested files)
- it displays the vertical scroll bar even if there are plenty of vertical space (20 folders is the strange and non-configurable limit, as i see)
- it displays the 'new folder' option which cannot be removed from this menu
- it displays the icons (of folders) which cannot be removed from this menu

unlike xy's current approach, the approach that i have now (and propose to implement in xy) works in the list too (not just in the tree); it works independently of a folder's content; it works independently of the absence/presence of an icon; it works conveniently (all the folder's title is ready to be right-clicked, as compared with a small expansion icon)

the 'shell toys' program (old and abandoned but reliable) already offers the way/example which is seemingly ideal or almost ideal:

1. the context menu item is clearly, briefly and informatively called 'folder contents (7 items)'
2. examples of some other possible cases: folder contents (0 item), folder contents (1 item), folder contents (2 items), folder contents (35 items)
3. the nested menu is handy divided into 3 parts: a) nested folders: in the order they are located inside the right-clicked folder, b) separator, c) nested files: in the order they are located inside the right-clicked folder (a nested file is displayed with the dot+extension)

4. the nested context menu is fortunately never horizontally truncated (even if the title of a folder/file contains hundreds of symbols)
5. the separator is not displayed in case only folders (or only files) are present
6. no distracting (and occupying precious vertical extra-space) icons. but they may be turned on in the preferences of 'shell toys'

CompSystems

Post by CompSystems »

admin wrote:
CompSystems wrote:3: for the tree or directories panel, when you locate above the name of a folder, show a sub-tree or folders that contains
Actually I've been thinking about this as well. But what with large folders? Does not work without scrollbars... :eh:
an idea to show at the end a button [ ∨ ] and there again show a pop-up view when the cursor is positioned on it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

suslo wrote: by the way, now xy offers the quite limited possibility of displaying the content of a folder without opening it. but:
- it only works in the tree
- it only works when there is the expansion icon
- it only works above the expansion icon
- it only displays the nested folders (not the nested files)
- it displays the vertical scroll bar even if there are plenty of vertical space (20 folders is the strange and non-configurable limit, as i see)
- it displays the 'new folder' option which cannot be removed from this menu
- it displays the icons (of folders) which cannot be removed from this menu
Well, you say "but" as if all of these differences to your "shell toys" were limitations. However, some of the points are advantages I'd say. :)

Anyway, good that you mentioned that special context menu because it could be (or look like) the solution for the HoverBox showing directory contents! You could even jump right into a subfolder of the hovered folder!

suslo

Post by suslo »

it could be (or look like) the solution for the HoverBox showing directory contents
for me everything depends on the way this feature is implemented. 1 of the most important questions: will it be customizable enough?
i came to realization that theoretically it's possible to make it more convenient comparing to approach of the shell-toys

these are my thoughts about this new promising 'content on hover' xy-feature:
1) configuration - file info tips - show hover box - apply to - 2 new lines:
Folders (tree)
Folders (list)

2) the content is displayed only when the title of a folder is hovered (not the folder icon) (not the expansion icon)
(or even better: make it all optional)

3) the icons of folders and the icons of files should be customizable (display them / don't display them)

4) the initial delay may be the same as in the 'file info tips' configuration page (or may be independent)

5) the content is displayed in a simple, neat and never truncated hover-box. only the screen edges are the obvious limits
this hover-box/pop-up is almost identical to what we see when the 'mouse down blow up' option is enabled and invoked

but the pop-up should be using all vertical space and all horizontal space
maybe the following exception will be useful: ~3-4 extreme pixels (in all 4 sides of the screen) are not filled with the pop-up
of course, a big pop-up should only be displayed when it is necessary because of a long list or long titles

6)
a) the content looks like this:
- (white background) the top line displays a corresponding inscription. 5 examples:
7 items     3 folders     4 files
0 item
1 item     1 folder
2 items     2 files
168 items     99 folders     69 files

it's better if the 'x folders     x files' information is customizable (display it / don't display it)

- the 2nd line is white (empty). it will serve as the good visual separator
- the subfolders are displayed beginning from the 3rd line
- after the subfolders: white (empty) line. this is the visual separator between subfolders and subfiles
- then the subfiles are displayed

b) if vertical space is not enough to fit all items, then 2 special lines may appear in the end: 1. empty line as the separator, 2. the 'next items' inscription. which may require just a hover, not a click

in case of returning to the start of a list, the 'previous items' inscription may appear at the top. in this case it may look like this:
line 1: 168 items     99 folders     69 files
line 2: empty
line 3: previous items
line 4: empty
line 5...: titles of items

c) an experimental optional possibility could be added:
hovering the '3 folders' text leads to hiding of the files in this pop-up. then hovering the '7 items' text leads to showing of all items
hovering the '4 files' text leads to hiding of the folders in this pop-up. then hovering the '7 items' text leads to showing of all items

d) another experimental optional possibility could be added:
1 left click on the 'x items' text creates new folder
1 right click on the 'x items' text creates new txt-file

7) a subfolder could be directly opened by 1 left click on it
8) a subfile could be directly executed by 1 left click on it

9) an experimental optional part of the 'content on hover' feature could be added:
inside the pop-up: when hovering any folder, its content is displayed in an additional pop-up
the idea is to browse through various subfolders, sub-sub-folders... without clicking, only by hovering their titles 1 by 1

10) the additional pop-up immediately disappears in the moment when the cursor leaves its area
but this movement of the cursor should not lead to disappearing of a previous pop-up
the previous pop-up stays visible until the cursor enters it (if the cursor is somewhere else) and then leaves it
(or there could be another way as an option: the previous pop-up stays visible until a click outside of it is performed)

11) any not initial delay (for example, before displaying the sub-sub-folders) should be customizable
then in my case it will always be 0 ms for hovering the folder titles that are inside the pop-up

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the preview into a can of worms. :)

I think this is an idea to keep in mind for later. The next major feature will be the dark theme, and that will take some time to reach perfection...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The next beta will bring something in that direction. Nice stuff coming... 8) :beer:

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

v19.20.0005 - 2018-10-01 15:15
+++ Hover Box: Now you can get a Folder Contents Preview in the Hover Box.
- Items are sorted by name ascending, folders on top.
Great stuff, although I'd really have it useful if it could list newer, on-the-works stuff (folders AND files) instead of a generic a-b-c peek-a-boo.
Thanks much, really great stuff towrds time saving. :cup:
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, I could do newest first. Still thinking about it...

jupe

Re: HoverBox improvements

Post by jupe »

I just tested the HoverBox for folder contents, but if the items are more than can be displayed then they are cut off like this (10.8 font @ 120DPI), not sure if that is correct?
2018-10-03_122813.png
2018-10-03_122813.png (10.85 KiB) Viewed 3521 times
If I change the font size I can make it so the second last item isn't cut in half, and just the last item is blank.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No, that's not the way it should look. This is:
HBOT.png
HBOT.png (8.11 KiB) Viewed 3509 times
Which font/font size are you using?

jupe

Post by jupe »

Segoe UI 10.8, 10.2 is cut in half too, have never seen those 3 dots in any of my testing.

This is what 10.2 looks like (downscaled)
2018-10-03_180754.png
2018-10-03_180754.png (3.37 KiB) Viewed 3507 times
Other sizes the text is mostly not cut in half, I just tried other fonts, but the dots are always missing.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hmm, weird... :?

BTW, here's an idea for the one of the next version: You can scroll the Hover Box contents using the mouse wheel! :cup:

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

Almost the same here. But in my case, there is no cutting half, but there is no text next to the last icon. I couldn't send a screenshot, because the filenames in the HowerBox are not obfuscated, not even if use mode 3.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What's your screen resolution?

jupe

Post by jupe »

If you are asking me:

Screen: 1920x1080, 1/1 (Primary), Work: (0, 0) - (1920, 1030)
Screen DPI: 120 (125%), twx: 12, stretch: 1