Cannot PREVIEW pdf files with Nitro

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
vijer

Cannot PREVIEW pdf files with Nitro

Post by vijer »

XYplorer cannot preview PDF files using Nitro 12. The files preview without issue using File Explorer. If I change to Foxit PDF viewer then XYplorer can preview the files.

Why would XY not be able to use Nitro but can use Foxit?

highend

Re: Cannot PREVIEW pdf files with Nitro

Post by highend »

XY requires 32-bit preview handlers (this will change in the future) and your Nitro software probably only installs 64-bit ones...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

vijer

Post by vijer »

highend wrote:XY requires 32-bit preview handlers (this will change in the future) and your Nitro software probably only installs 64-bit ones...
Thanks

I hope the change is soon, I use PDFs daily.

jupe

Post by jupe »

As things are currently you can still use Foxit PDF preview handler and just use Nitro as the application to open PDFs, if you wanted.

Just set the preview handler with ShellExView by Nirsoft (search forum for instructions) or you could alternatively set just the preview handler via UDPH

https://www.xyplorer.com/release_18.00.php#UDPH
https://www.xyplorer.com/faq-topic.php?id=PDFpreview

And as another alternative if you install Nitro x86 version it should work too, without doing the above, but I haven't tried Nitro so can't confirm.

vijer

Post by vijer »

jupe wrote:As things are currently you can still use Foxit PDF preview handler and just use Nitro as the application to open PDFs, if you wanted.

Just set the preview handler with ShellExView by Nirsoft (search forum for instructions) or you could alternatively set just the preview handler via UDPH

https://www.xyplorer.com/release_18.00.php#UDPH
https://www.xyplorer.com/faq-topic.php?id=PDFpreview

And as another alternative if you install Nitro x86 version it should work too, without doing the above, but I haven't tried Nitro so can't confirm.
I just installed the old 32 bit Nitro 9 and set the UDPH and it works.

Crazy thing is that I had tried this with Adobe and it didn't work. I uninstalled Adobe and the UDPH changed itself to Chrome (which didn't work) and any UDPH can't be edited after they are created. I then edited the XYplorer.ini and manutally changed the >{CLSID} and it works. But the settings display

*.pdf, Chrome HTML Document > {7347BAA5-DDAD-428A-BBED-3A95B53237F7}, Nitro PDF Preview Handler

Can't get rid of the Chrome HTML document and the icon in the file list is the Chrome icon! That is a weird bug.

jupe

Post by jupe »

That is the default Windows File Associations that says Chrome HTML Document, so you need to change the default Windows association via

Settings | Default App settings

to make it say something different, or if you just want to change the icon you can do that via,

Tools | Customize File Icons...

vijer

Post by vijer »

jupe wrote:That is the default Windows File Associations that says Chrome HTML Document, so you need to change the default Windows Association via
Thanks

Yah, I figured that out. Still a bit of an issue because with both the 32 bit and 64 bit apps installed MS can't preview the pdfs in File Explorer. Oh well, the goal is to not use File Explorer anyway.

Still hope XY will add the 64 bit handler functionality soon.

jupe

Post by jupe »

If you are using UDPH, AFAIK you should still be able to get x64 preview in File Explorer simultaneously with a properly installed App.