XYplorer crashes on my system when creating new folders [resolved]

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
highend

Re: XYplorer crashes when creating new folders

Post by highend »

pm = personal message

That e-mail is for the developer himself (Don aka admin)...

Just use something like https://uploadfiles.io/
dropbox, google drive, or anything like that...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

stoik

Re: XYplorer crashes on my system when creating new folders [resolved]

Post by stoik »

OK,
here is the link (for "zzz Older Version 16.80.0000") :
Last edited by stoik on 17 Jul 2018 00:08, edited 1 time in total.

stoik

Post by stoik »

Highend,

I made a slight alteration, here is the new link :

highend

Post by highend »

I've removed the links from both of your postings. You didn't remove your license data from the XYplorer.ini file...

I've upgraded your portable version at first to 16.80.0022 (the last version in the 16.80 tree), created about 200 folders
(always with your toolbar button "New Folder" and {ENTER} to hit the OK button) and directly advanced to 19.10.0000 afterwards.
Created again about 200 folders (same way as before)...

No, no weird behavior here, no "not responding" message, no crash, nothing. It works fine here.

-> XY itself is not the culprit. It's something on your system that provokes this behavior. Maybe only in conjunction with XY but
it's still not XY itself. Running any antivirus / security solution? Did you exclude XYplorer.exe from it? Any folder monitoring, tweak or registry cleaner tools?

stoik

Post by stoik »

Hello, HIghend,

Thank You ever so much for Your effort !!!

A couple of comments on Your thoughts :
- "license data in ini file" - sorry, I did not realize they are kept in there,
removing links is perfect - You were the only target anyways (that is why I was looking for some kind of email),
- "something else is interfering" - the answer is no to all of Your examples, but I do use AutoHotKey macros a lot,
I suspect there may be a link with that.

OK, maybe we are getting somewhere here, and here is what I mean :
I do have several AutoHotKey macros to create new folders in XYplorer, e.g. "create folder with text from clipboard", and such a macro is assigned to an XYplorer toolbar button. After some more testing, I can confirm that this button (which I named "folder with clipboard text") crashes XYplorer more often than anything else (and so do other AutoHotKey macros assigned to toolbar buttons). I did a search your forum for AutoHotKey right now, several minor issues are discussed, but no crashes.

This is the AutoHotKey macro that I use often from a toolbar buton :

#NoTrayIcon
SetTitleMatchMode 2
SetTitleMatchMode Slow
WinWait, XYplorer - ,
IfWinNotActive, XYplorer - , , WinActivate, XYplorer - ,
WinWaitActive, XYplorer - ,
Sleep, 100
Send, {CTRLDOWN}n{CTRLUP}
Sleep, 50
WinWait, XYplorer,
IfWinNotActive, XYplorer, , WinActivate, XYplorer,
WinWaitActive, XYplorer,
Send, {CTRLDOWN}v{CTRLUP}
Sleep, 100
Send, {TAB}
Sleep, 75
Send, {ENTER}
Sleep, 100
Exit

I wonder if You could reproduce that. The devil is, it will work fine for some 30 attempts - even much longer, but You go off doing somethings else on Your PC for a little while, come back to this button, and it will crash the XYplorer.

"Just stop using AutoHotKey" is easier said than done for me, I have at lest a thousand macros I use day to day. If it is AutoHotKey, it is probably some very specific function that does this, and I would like to find a work-around. By the way, I am using AutoHotKey version 1.1.24.00 from 2016-05-22, roughly from the time of XYplorer version 16.80. Hmmm ... I will upgrade AutoHotKey to the latest version (all the macros should still work), and see what happens - I will let You know.

Thanks !

highend

Post by highend »

It's not about trying to replicate it with some external (.ahk) script. Even if it crashes XY more often.
It's about that XY doesn't respond to an internal command (Ctrl + n or the script I've posted) like
it should.
If this leads to the described behavior something else is responsible, it can't be AHK (because
when you use that "New Folder" button it, AHK isn't involved. At least not if you are not running
ahk (compiled) scripts in the background. These could interfere...

Btw, your .ahk script from your last post... It can be replaced by a single XY command^^

Code: Select all

new(<clipboard>, "dir");
Doesn't require any timed .ahk command sequences...

Show the list of everything! that is automatically started on Windows startup. E.g. use
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysint ... s/autoruns

Show all entries from the "Logon" and "Scheduled Tasks" tabs or better: Export them
(File - Save...) and provide a download link again. Maybe that helps to see what is running
and could interfere...

stoik

Post by stoik »

OK, highend,
I did as You said.

The link to what You requested is here (file titled "HighEnd's Request.7z") :
https://ufile.io/cs1e4

Thanks, again !

highend

Post by highend »

After looking at all that stuff...

Boot into safe mode, start XY, try to recreate the "not responding" message using the New Folder button.
My guess: You won't see it.

If that's the case. Reboot into normal mode. Disable StartUp Edin, reboot again
Try to recreate it...

stoik

Post by stoik »

OK,
I will play with that, one by one :
no StartUp script,
no HotKey script,
and even the new AutoHotKey version
(even though You do not think that will do it, but I updated it anyways - it's the right thing to do).

I have to go to work now, I will play with it this evening,
so You will hear from me most likely tomorrow morning (I am Eastern USA time).
It will give You a welcome break from me too. :wink:

Many Thanks !!!

P.S.
Tomorrow is the big soccer day,
so I do not expect You to break Your neck
over my stupid problem.
Go Croatia !!!

stoik

Post by stoik »

OK, I am back.

It took me a few days since I had very little time for playing with my PC, and I needed a few hours of PC time to be sure that my "solution" is genuine, as in "problem completely resolved", rather than fake, as in "random crashes now occur only rarely". I have now had some 6 hours or more of PC time without crashes, so I am pretty sure that I found the answer.

First, things that did not fix it: using newer version of AutoHotKey, disabling AutoHotKey genererated windows startups, or running AutoHotKey "function key manipulators" in the background (that have nothing to do with XYplorer).

The culprit were "create new folders" AutoHotKey macros (a whole variety of them, such as create with name from clipboard, create with specific names - e.g. today's date, etc). The trigger for the XYplorer crash was the action to close the "name/rename new folder" small window that XYplorer offers when creating new folders. The title of this window is simply "XYplorer", so the AutoHotKey command to close this small popup window mistakenly closes XYplorer (main window). The reason that this happens only randomly is that only sometimes does the small popup window loose focus - and then the AutoHotKey "close window" command hits the wrong window.

Now I re-wrote my AutoHotKey macros to mainly use XYplorer's own scripting in creating folders, so that the small popup window (for folder renaming) never occurs.

I still cannot explain why this was not happening with XYplorer versions 16.80 and before, but I do not care now.

I want to point out that this is obviously not XYplorer's fault, some other program was indeed causing the crashes. I will rename this forum post to [resolved], but also change the preceding title to "XYplorer crashes on my system when creating new folders" to avoid generalizing the issue, as Admin suggested.

However, You may want to think about a tiny change to prevent this from happening to other people: rename the title of the rename popup window to something more specific, from the current "XYplorer" to, for example, "XYplorer - Rename", so that this window is always distinguished (by other software) from the XYplorer's main window. There are all sorts of softwares that could cause crashes based on this windows confusion: macro creating programs, programs that control windows position and size (and are sometimes instructed by users to prevent programs from running in duplicate), etc. Off course, You are under no obligation to do this, You are downstream only to the windows operating system and must only always adjust to them, and the softwares I mentioned are downstream to XYplorer - so they need to adjust. However, some other poor sucker will have crashes and again think that it is XYplorer's fault. A simple rename of Your popup window will prevent this and save You from wasting time on another similar forum posting.

Greetings, and many thanks for working to help me - You did !

binocular222

Post by binocular222 »

I have exactly same problem as previously posted here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17891
I use Autohotkey too. Still very random freeze. :veryconfused:
I'm a casual coder using AHK language. All of my xys scripts:
http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... 243#p82488

stoik

Post by stoik »

Binocular222,

I love Your scripts !

Being able to extend a file explorer with one's own customized scripts, macros, commands, links, etc is a major advantage of the more sophisticated file explorers - such as XYplorer. That is why I am clinging on to such a great program, in spite of the fact that so unusually many XYplorer forum postings carry words like "crashes", "freezes", etc. These extensions are especially convenient, when You can attach them to customized toolbar buttons or even customized extra menus. I use AutoHotKey macros for extra functions, and PopSel to create the extra menus. You and me trying persistently to work out these problems is a compliment to the XYplorer concept.

I have the same problem that You are describing, Binocular222 ! XYplorer freezes for some 30-45 seconds from time to time. Not only when renaming files, also often when selecting a new tab. My guess was that the auto-refresh function is somehow sucking up all the resources (CPU, RAM), and that it is maybe somehow digging into sub-folders (to update the files list), and I have just learned to live with it. For those 30-45 seconds I just switch to my web browser or so and do something else. I have complained about this on this forum before (I am not sure under which title, but something with "freezes", I am sure), but just like in Your case, the XYplorer team was not able to reproduce it and were "staring" at me in disbelief as if I have just fallen down from planet Mars. Unlike the crashes I am describing here, the freezes that You are describing (and that I am confirming) are not preceded by using AutoHotKey macros - in my case at least, I want to give You that feedback, other than confirm Your observation about freezes.

Now I am looking to replace more of my AutoHotKey macros with XYplorer scripts (to avoid my crashes), but I am still totally unfamiliar with the language. Here is one important question about XYplorer scripts (to You and or people from XYplorer): AutoHotKey scripts (.ahk) can be associated with AutoHotKey.exe in Windows (via right click and properties), and then I just need to execute a specific ".ahk" script directly and it will run silently without me having to go via AutoHotKey.exe, open or run, etc. I tried associating ".xys" with XYplorer.exe, but then executing a specific ".xys" directly does nothing (seems, I still have to go via XYplorer.exe). Or is there a way to execute the ".xys" script directly (one click) without going via XYplorer -> Menu -> Scripting -> Run Script, or XYplorer -> Address Bar -> write (or paste) script -> hit Enter

jupe

Post by jupe »

stoik wrote:Or is there a way to execute the ".xys" script directly (one click) without going via XYplorer -> Menu -> Scripting -> Run Script, or XYplorer -> Address Bar -> write (or paste) script -> hit Enter
One way to do it is via PFA, goto this menu item:

Tools | Customize File Associations...

and enter something like this at the top of the list:

"Load Script"xys>::load <curitem>;
which will make xys files run when clicking on them in the list.

FYI if you are interested: https://www.xyplorer.com/tour.php?page=scripting

stoik

Post by stoik »

Jupe,

Thank You for both suggestions !!!
Brilliant - just what I needed.

highend

Post by highend »

A small note to get a bit more out of it:

"Load Script"xys>::$t = <get "Shift">; if ($t == 3) { load <curitem>; } else { load "Executor.xys"; }
In this case it's a: Hold ctrl + shift while double clicking that entry = Execute the script, otherwise
load a different script (Executor = viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13510&p=143876) / do something different, e.g. run it with an editor...

or as a shorter version if no other comparisons are necessary:

"Load Script"xys>::if (<get "Shift"> == 3) { load <curitem>; } else { load "Executor.xys"; }
These are the possible values:
1 = Shift
2 = Ctrl
3 = Ctrl + Shift
4 = Alt
5 = Shift + Alt
6 = Ctrl + Alt
7 = Ctrl + Shift + Alt

but be careful, not all of them make sense here (some are already bound)