Odd network behavior

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
peptide

Odd network behavior

Post by peptide »

Hi -

I have 19.00.0200 installed on Win10-64 Home 1803, and it is exhibiting odd behavior related to networks that none of my other XYplorer installations show. The biggest problem is that enumerating servers in the household (other Windows PCs and a Linux NAS) seems to be hit-or-miss; mainly miss. Opening a tab and trying to get it to show the networks fails most of the time, though Windows Explorer will show them without fail. What's especially odd about this is that I can still successfully search the network folders and find expected files but, even after find those files, I still can't access them through the normal tabs.

Any ideas?

peptide

Re: Odd network behavior

Post by peptide »

I received a PM with a couple of settings to check but these didn't help. I ultimately ended up mapping the drives and folders of interest and this restored normal operation, but it would be great if the developer(s) could share any thoughts on this issue.

jupe

Post by jupe »

Sorry my PM suggestions didn't work (for posterity: NetworkNetServerEnum=1, ShowAllServers=1), having never experienced your circumstances, I will only have 1 more stab at it while waiting for the Dev to weigh in, my last suggestion is that you could make sure that this is enabled:

Configuration | General | Controls and More | Network | Assume that servers are available

please restart XY before replying "it doesn't work".

peptide

Post by peptide »

Hi Jupe -

No apologies needed; I appreciate the effort.

I had found the "Assume that servers are available" setting and had enabled it but, out of respect, I cycled that setting and restarted - no change.

Again - thanks for the suggestions :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Nothing has changed recently regarding network enumeration, so I don't think this is a new issue. You can verify by trying an older XY version on that system. Take one from here: https://www.xyplorer.com/freezer.php

peptide

Post by peptide »

I tried several versions from leftover installers on my systems, including 18.8 and 18.9 - no change. I suspect that this has something to do with the 1803 update, but I have run out of ideas to get it to work and don't know how to diagnose it.

Has there been any other reports of similar behavior?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Not that I know of. I have the latest Win10 myself and no such problems. OTOH the 1803 update came with so many and big problems, it reminded me to Vista. So you could be right...

Vocalpoint

Post by Vocalpoint »

Noticing it here as well.

Network machines almost never refresh.

I am taking a stab and saying it may have a lot to do with SMBv1 now being deprecated in Windows 10 1709 and newer. SMB relies heavily on the Computer Browser service which had largely been responsible for displaying computers on the network.

If XYPlorer is still heavily rooted in SMBv1 - it may be time to overhaul that.

Over here - ALL machines have SMBv1 removed or disabled.

The new way forward for resource (network) browsing in newer versions of Windows 10 are to enable these two services:

Function Discovery Provider Host
Function Discovery Resource Publication

VP

peptide

Post by peptide »

Thanks for the report and the analysis. It would, if confirmed by the developer, explain a lot.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I did not find any indication that the network API would be bound to a certain underlying technology. They should abstract from that. Lacking any further information from MS I don't see what I could do. I'm using all the ways that MS recommends for the latest Win10.