Location Currently Not Available

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
bitbauer

Location Currently Not Available

Post by bitbauer »

Hi,
I'm having problems with network shares which have been opened in previous XYplorer session. Each time I try to access such a share I'm getting a message saying "Location currently not available" although folders inside this folder are accessible the normal way. If I enter the address textbox and hitting the enter key after the last character the network share refreshes and I can see the content again.

How can I avoid this behavior?

Many thanks and greetings

Gerrit
Attachments
2018-05-31_14h14_21.png
2018-05-31_14h14_21.png (52.06 KiB) Viewed 6090 times

Leito

Re: Location Currently Not Available

Post by Leito »

Did you check General → Startup & Exit → Reconnect mapped network drives on startup?

bitbauer

Post by bitbauer »

Yes, the checkbox was checked. The content is still not visible.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Do you get this "Location currently not available" message only directly after startup?
Can you access the location when you switch to another location in the tree and then back the first location?

bitbauer

Post by bitbauer »

No, I'm getting the message even though I changed the location back and forth. It only works if I change into a subfolder of the same share and then back to the share's root folder after hitting the "up" button or by directly entering the path in the address bar. Then I can see the content as long as I keep the program open. But after closing and re-opening XYplorer the same behavior shows up.

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

Did you also check the state of the setting in "Startup & Exit/No network browsing on startup"?
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

bitbauer wrote:No, I'm getting the message even though I changed the location back and forth. It only works if I change into a subfolder of the same share and then back to the share's root folder after hitting the "up" button or by directly entering the path in the address bar. Then I can see the content as long as I keep the program open. But after closing and re-opening XYplorer the same behavior shows up.
Interesting and weird. Nobody else reports this.

In the "Location Currently Not Available" situation please try this script (fill in your <path to subfolder>). Paste it into the address bar and press ENTER:

Code: Select all

text listfolder("<path to subfolder>");
Do this also do the job of "unlocking" the location?

bitbauer

Post by bitbauer »

No, Im sorry, the script only displays the subfolder-paths but the share itself remains mistakengly unavailable.

Other shares connected with a drive letter (e.g. x:\\ y:\\) are connected successfully. It seems that only shares are affected which have no assigned drive letter (just connected with the the UNC-Name)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hm, I'm out of ideas at the moment. Let me know if you detect any other patterns, or ways to make those locations accessible.

Mesh

Post by Mesh »

This started happening to me, too - about a week ago. Everything had been fine, and now the network drives are inaccessible.

I can access them through Explorer just fine.

I'm guessing that it was a Windows 10 update that was responsible for this.

jupe

Post by jupe »

Assuming you have the exact same symptoms as the original poster, and If you don't use password protected servers on your LAN you could try this option:

Configuration | General | Controls and More | Network | Assume that servers are available

Also as a long-shot if the above suggestion doesn't help, you could try the following tweak by entering this in the XY address bar:

tweak("NetworkNetServerEnum", "");

Mesh

Post by Mesh »

jupe wrote:Assuming you have the exact same symptoms as the original poster, and If you don't use password protected servers on your LAN you could try this option:

Configuration | General | Controls and More | Network | Assume that servers are available

Also as a long-shot if the above suggestion doesn't help, you could try the following tweak by entering this in the XY address bar:

tweak("NetworkNetServerEnum", "");
Not an option in my case. Unlike the OP, even entering the address in the address bar doesn't work.

lastnikita

Post by lastnikita »

Hello, hope you're doing fine =)

I'm starting to get the same behavior but for local folders. Apparently those I just created using XY
A bit later, (also after I tried to access them -perfectly- using windows manager) it works... or not.

Another thing I noticed, if I try to move files there.... "AAAAAND it's gone !"
i could get them back using UNDO
If I then tried to cut them in XY and paste them in windows explorer/manager, I'm getting a system "file not longer exist" message !

Looks like it went really bad. I'll use windows one for now.
Will try to reinstall except you ask me to test something else.

Please help !

Thanks =)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Can you give me the exact steps?

lastnikita

Post by lastnikita »

=)

Just opened XY, it was in my user "download" folder, I created (right-click) a "new folder", confirmed its name with "enter" key, then again "enter" the folder

=> location currently not available
*user*\downloads\new folder