Portable vs. Installed

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
hurricane51

Portable vs. Installed

Post by hurricane51 »

Is there a list of differences between the portable version vs. the installed version?

highend

Re: Portable vs. Installed

Post by highend »

There aren't any relevant differences. Are you looking for anything specific?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

hurricane51

Post by hurricane51 »

No, I'm not looking for anything specific. I wanted to find out if there was any benefit to use the installed vs. the portable version.

highend

Post by highend »

No benefits for the installed version... Shell integration is only done when configured
E.g.: Configuration | Other | Shell Integration | Default File Manager | XYplorer in shell context menu

and apart from that it's only the minimum of necessary registry entries and a "Startup.ini" file in the
installation folder where you can configure the path where XY stores it's settings (%appdata%\XYplorer by default)

hurricane51

Post by hurricane51 »

Thanks for the info.

pdupreez

Post by pdupreez »

I bought the Pro Lifetime version in 2010 because it had dual panes (I am an old DOS guy and was used to Norton Commander) and this was the best alternative, and always used it in an OOB configuration. Having recently retired I thought I will use the time to sort out my 500k music files I have collected over the years, 499k which are probably duplicates from duplicates as I mucked around with it.

Long story short, I now find the need to customise XYplorer (didn't even know you can) and the first thing I would love to do is to use my "installed" XYplorer in a portable manner. I install very few programs on my computer nowadays, with almost everything under Liberkey "MyApps", such folder which is backed up to the "cloud", wherever that is.

So, the question is:

Can I install XYplorer as per normal and then move it out of the c:\program\blablabla folder to my Portable Drive:\Liberkey\MyApps\XYplorer?
Can I move my Preference folder under c:\users\me\AppData\XYplorer\..... to my Portable Drive:\Liberkey\MyApps\XYplorer\AppData folder?

Can I then uninstall XYplorer and it will still work?

Now, I have copied XYplorer and the AppData folder already to the MyApps folder, and changed the startup.ini file to reflect the change, and when I start XYplorer up from that directory and run one of your example scripts it tells me that it is running from that Portable Drive:\Liberkey\MyApps\XYplorer.

That is all good and well, but I still have the "normal" XYplorer installed and is nervous to uninstall it, lest I break my "portable" version
Last edited by pdupreez on 18 Aug 2018 15:43, edited 1 time in total.

highend

Post by highend »

Your portable one is now completely unrelated to the installed version so just uninstall it

Regarding your portable version (which isn't really portable because your Startup.ini probably points to a fixed path):
Make a real portable version out of it...

Delete the Startup.ini file and move the subfolder Portable Drive:\Liberkey\MyApps\XYplorer\AppData\XYplorer
one level up. Rename it to "Data" so that you have:
Portable Drive:\Liberkey\MyApps\XYplorer\Data
Finally remove the now subfolderless Portable Drive:\Liberkey\MyApps\XYplorer\AppData
folder...

pdupreez

Post by pdupreez »

Holy Mackerel! That worked just perfectly.

Love this program, if I only can get my head around the scripting thing. I will ask in another post. Thank you again :beer: