tags lost when moving nested folders

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Twisten

tags lost when moving nested folders

Post by Twisten »

It seems that when I'm moving folders with tagged sub-folders the tags are not updated to the new path.
XYplorer version 18.90.0100 on Windows 10 x64

jupe

Re: tags lost when moving nested folders

Post by jupe »

It moves the sub folder tags for me unless I use right mouse button drag shell context menu (bypassing XY), how are you moving the folders?

@Don: I can't confirm the OPs reported behavior, although while testing this I just noticed if I undo a move operation the tags paths are not updated when the files are moved back to their original location though.

Twisten

Post by Twisten »

Simple cut and paste, I also used paste special for paste with path

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I cannot confirm neither. :?

Can you both give me a little more detail (intra or cross volume?; how deep are the folders?; how many items are involved?).

jupe

Post by jupe »

In my case it can be as few as 1 item tagged without sub folders, do a cut paste or move etc, tags/labels move ok to new location, press undo, tags/labels are still in the location the original move was to.

Steps to reproduce for me:
  1. Run fresh;
  2. Label 1 File (I will use Label in this example but tags are the same)
  3. Right click parent folder and select Cut
  4. Paste folder (only moving the folder across to a different child of parent folder)
  5. Check new location (see Label has correctly moved)
  6. Press Undo Toolbar button
  7. Check original location (Label now missing)
  8. Check List Management | Tagged Items (and see the label is still in the location it was in before the Undo operation)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Still cannot reproduce this here. :?

And tags are definitely NOT lost when moving nested folders. Nested folders are no problem.

The only thing I can confirm: If you use the Shell drag-and-drop context menu for moving/copying, you will bypass the auto-update of the tags DB.

jupe

Post by jupe »

If you are definitely moving the parent folder of the labelled item not just the file itself (which does work in both directions for me) and it is not doing it on undo, I can't explain it, anyway for me I hardly ever undo things so no worries.
admin wrote:The only thing I can confirm: If you use the Shell drag-and-drop context menu for moving/copying, you will bypass the auto-update of the tags DB.
I was aware of that already, at least for me that isn't the cause of my reported issue.

Twisten

Post by Twisten »

Lets see, I'm moving folders that have upto two levels deep subfolders with files in the last folder that folder is the one tagged, the entire thing is about 5 levels deep from root; I'm moving those folders into a another folder on an external drive which is 2-3 levels deep from root.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Works fine here.

The target path has a drive letter? Or is it a portable devices? Tagging does not support portable devices.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

@ jupe: In the meantime I found indeed a constellation where the list was not refreshed after using undo/redo. So the tags DB was correctly updated but the tags were not drawn to the list. This will be fixed in the next beta.

Twisten

Post by Twisten »

I wasn't aware that xyplorer can actually see portable devices (like my phone for example), the target path has a drive letter.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

And you are *moving* those folders, not copying? In the latter case you need to tick a checkbox to copy also the tags: Configuration | Information | Tags | Copy tags on copy operations

Twisten

Post by Twisten »

Yes, I'm moving them, either cut and paste or paste with path.
not sure if its consistent, but as I had a few folders to move I noticed it happening and fixed the tags entries using the configuration dialogue.

jupe

Post by jupe »

You may have made the Tags DB incorrectly sorted at some stage and it could be contributing to this problem, you could try this:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18816&p=158441#p158439

OR

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18816&p=158441#p158441

I'd recommend a backup of tags.db first too.

Twisten

Post by Twisten »

Tried that, didn't seem to solve things since I've just run into this again a few times.

I'm moving (custom with verify) a folder with several nested levels under it, the last one (which is tagged) and containing the files ( and the files themselves) have long names which might be affecting this.

When the move is done the tag is gone, at which point I go to configuration and do an orphan check and find the newly orphaned entry,
the entry isn't the original but rather almost the correct new path leaving out the top most folder (the one I cut and pasted).

e.g. if its supposed to be
"K:\#blah\bleh\dd, bddd\lbdd dddeb\bllld ddoot ddsood - dkkdf lsll nnboo dslleee j21 440dddl"

the new entry instead would be

"K:\#blah\bleh\lbdd dddeb\bllld ddoot ddsood - dkkdf lsll nnboo dslleee j21 440dddl"

resulting in an orphaned entry needing correction.

edit: just moved a larger bunch of folders together, the tag db wasn't updated (most orphaned entries were just the old path).

edit2: run the script in the above mentioned thread, there were a few line reordered, hope this changes things, other than that the file content seems the same, but despite that the file size is about half so this is a bit puzzling.