Cannot read removable storage anymore

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
highend

Re: Cannot read removable storage anymore

Post by highend »

No(t yet)
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

davehul123

Post by davehul123 »

thanks for the quick reply. sorry to hear that though. it's been 9 months since this was reported. i'm going to have to switch to another file manager.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Keep an eye on this thread. I will report here when the fix is done.

Offtoplay

Post by Offtoplay »

Dustydog wrote:Thank you. For what it's worth, it's an issue for me too. Miss being able to access my phone without resorting to Win Explorer.
Same thing for me with my Note 8. The internal and external directories show, but they are empty. That is why I reviewed this program over "PowerDesk 9" that I have used for so many versions and years. I like it, but don't want to have to open Windows 10 Explorer x2 every time I need to deal with my phone.

MasterBlaster

Post by MasterBlaster »

I can't believe this has gone unfixed. All other file manages including Windows Explorer have the ability to view the files inside a Gopro, or similar. ZYplorer used to be able to do this and no longer has that ability. Why is this not fixed yet?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It has the ability. It's *only* in Windows 10 Creators Update that it stopped working. But this will be fixed.

Starsky

Post by Starsky »

admin wrote:But this will be fixed.
Hello,
Happy to know wou're working to fix this. This the right way ! Because now Microsoft will never fix shell32.dll (nor shell32.lib).
Thanks

Alain Terrieur

Access to pictures on phone

Post by Alain Terrieur »

I suppose there is some kind of settings for that, Windows explorer access them directly...

Moved... [by mod]

Asta

Post by Asta »

This heavy bug seems plumbing all users for a long time...

This reminds me :
- a novell from Dino Buzzati : "Il deserto dei Tartari"
- a song from Tino Rossi : "j'attendrai le jour et la nuit ..."

No fix in view ?

Aliba123

Post by Aliba123 »

admin wrote:(Now, if anybody says: But other FMs can do it! Listen: In Windows there are usually many ways to achieve a goal. Now my way has been destroyed by Version 1703 (Creators Update). I cannot just take another route. This is complex stuff. It would take months.)
I purchased xyplorer specifically for use with several smartphones for transferring photos and videos via usb to the pc.
Unfortunately, after the purchase I realized that XYplorer - apparently the only Explorer - can NOT do this.
As I read here, it will be waited since 2017 that Microsoft changes something - how long should that take?
I did not buy a "lifetime version" to wait a life long for a functioning version of xyplorer.
And if - as described here - there are several programming options to realize the "external device" function, why don't you program it?
If this is not possible, I ask for reverse of the purchase.

Darcey

Unable to Browse Android Mobile with XYPlorer

Post by Darcey »

Hi,

Is there any way to get XYPlorer to browse my Android phone? It works on explorer.

See video:
https://youtu.be/h7VrGD_orUY

Thanks

D

Asta

Re: Unable to Browse Android Mobile with XYPlorer

Post by Asta »

Darcey wrote:Hi,

Is there any way to get XYPlorer to browse my Android phone? It works on explorer.

See video:
https://youtu.be/h7VrGD_orUY

Thanks

D
Hi Darcey

Yes there is a simple and easy way : rollback your system to Windows 7 (please, avoid the bullshited W8.x)
Sorry for this news ! But don't expect a fix from Microsost in shelldll32.dll (now out of date).

Have a good day.

Darcey

Post by Darcey »

Can't you just:

1. Detect if removable drive.
2. If removable drive use new dir listing routine
3. Call shell process to query the directory as object or array
4. Feed object / array to mapping function to feed program as normal as if it were data returned as normal?
5. Disable special features till windows dll's dont cause issue?
6. Test, bug fix
7. Public beta

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Darcey wrote:2. If removable drive use new dir listing routine
Sounds interesting, please elaborate. Never heard of that "new dir listing routine".

BTW, I will setup a fresh Win10 system soon and fix that bug. Even bought a new computer just to fix that one bug. That's a first. :)

Darcey

Post by Darcey »

Nice about upgrading, I have to get on that kind of stuff asap for work... But I keep windows 7 and xp around on VM just encase.

RE: Code

For example, if I was using windows dll's for anything and they worked fine but in certain scenarios they don't / can't work or don't work correctly I would put in detection code for the task and use an alternate method, either build by myself or a library that someone else coded. eg in your case.

1. User clicks on C:\
2. isDriveRemovableStorage(); // return boolean, ofcourse you need to write this function
3. if false, use your normal way of retrieving directory and file listing data etc
4. if true, use new routine / library for retrieving directory and file listing data etc, depending on the language you can use various different ways and not even need to rely on windows dll's. Options include make a sub application for cmd dos stream and execute it when mobile / removable storage is detected which will stream data into your main application. You then take this data into a data formatter function and pass it back to the main application as if all was done normally (will be tweaks, there always is).

You can throw in python and grab the drive dir & file listings via that streamed to your main application, or via a micro VStudio C# console application, possibly java too. So the best way for you to get the dir / file listing of a mobile / removable storage is up to you, what best suits you and how your application is built.