New ContextMenu64.exe

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
perceuze

New ContextMenu64.exe

Post by perceuze »

admin wrote:Practical problem is that this menu has been written not by me, but by another guy, and he kind of vanished. It's the file ContextMenu64.exe: Roughly it receives one or more filenames and pops the matching shell context menu. Looks like it does not support the held SHIFT key. :(
Does this imply you do not have control over its source code?

admin
Site Admin

Re: New ContextMenu64.exe

Post by admin »

perceuze wrote:Does this imply you do not have control over its source code?
Yep. It bugs me, but I have no means here to do this myself.

perceuze

Post by perceuze »

admin wrote:Yep. It bugs me, but I have no means here to do this myself.
Well, I unchecked the 64-bit option and it works as expected. Unfortunately I need it enabled because of a 64bit-only extension I cannot get rid off, which also means the Shift key must taken into account in this particular case despite the partial solutions offered by @highend and @jupe.

That makes of those issues blocking ones to my use case so definitely a deal breaker. However it's been a couple of days I'm trying XYplorer and it seems I would be a happy user otherwise. Thus, as a C++ developer, I'm willing to offer you to write a drop-in replacement of ContextMenu64.exe if you would accept the following conditions:
  • For the sake of maintainability and trust, I would publish the source code of this replacement under the terms of a permissive open source license. Typically MIT, BSD, or zLib, but not GPL or similar
  • You would grant me a "Lifetime License Pro" of XYplorer
This would of course create a partnership based on trust. Does it sound like an acceptable deal to you?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

perceuze wrote:
admin wrote:Yep. It bugs me, but I have no means here to do this myself.
Well, I unchecked the 64-bit option and it works as expected. Unfortunately I need it enabled because of a 64bit-only extension I cannot get rid off, which also means the Shift key must taken into account in this particular case despite the partial solutions offered by @highend and @jupe.

That makes of those issues blocking ones to my use case so definitely a deal breaker. However it's been a couple of days I'm trying XYplorer and it seems I would be a happy user otherwise. Thus, as a C++ developer, I'm willing to offer you to write a drop-in replacement of ContextMenu64.exe if you would accept the following conditions:
  • For the sake of maintainability and trust, I would publish the source code of this replacement under the terms of a permissive open source license. Typically MIT, BSD, or zLib, but not GPL or similar
  • You would grant me a "Lifetime License Pro" of XYplorer
This would of course create a relationship based on trust. Does it sound like an acceptable deal to you?
Absolutely! Sounds great to me, it's a deal. :tup:

I will send you the (few) specifications (e.g. input format) of the current ContextMenu64.exe file by email later today.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I can post the specifications right here:

- "ContextMenu64.exe" is a 64-bit executable.
  You should probably choose a different name for yours, so we can keep the two approaches separate.
- Description: "64-bit Context Menu Helper"
- Would be cool if it had the same/similar icon as XYplorer.exe (I can send the ICO file if needed).
- The data are sent by command line parameter. The command line parameter is the 
  full path (in double-quotes) to a text file located in the user's TEMP folder. 
  This file contains the data proper. So you have to open this file and parse its 
  contents.
  - This file is encoded in UTF-16LE in order to handle Unicode filenames.

- The data are only two things:
  1) the position of the menu (X and Y)
  2) the item(s) for which to create the shell context menu
- the current format (of course, you may suggest improvements to the format!) is (example):
  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
  ||PosX=200 PosY=100
  C:\Test\Image 01.jpg
  C:\Test\Image 02.jpg
  C:\Test\Image 03.jpg
  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
  - first line starts with || (two empty fields reserved for whatever; I admit 
    I'm not sure now what the idea had been...)
    then PosX=[value][space]PosY=[value]
    the values are absolute screen positions
  - the subsequent lines contain the item(s), one per line
    - each item is simply the full path
    - In case of virtual folders (Computer, Network, Recycle Bin...) the CLSID 
      is passed in this format (here Recycle Bin):
      ::{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}

- The "Rename" item should be suppressed in the menu, since this would require a 
  callback to XYplorer.exe. Could be done but I'd like to spend my time better. 
  And who needs a rename here anyway? Rename is F2, period. :)

- You don't need to close the file when the menu is hidden after use. XYplorer 
  will close it on exit by passing the command line "-quit" (without the quotes) 
  to "ContextMenu64.exe".
  - So you also have to process "-quit" by shutting down your app.

Well, that should be it.

Thanks again,
Don

perceuze

Post by perceuze »

Since we can break backward compatibility...

"XYmenu64.exe" then? So that it follows the naming of the other executables.

It will be fully compatible with the UNICODE implementation of the Windows API.

Regarding the parsing of the parameters I would adopt a more standard and evolutive approach to allow further changes to the way parameters are passed in the future without having to (potentially) break compatibility.

According to this and what you provided, specification would be roughly as follows:

Code: Select all

XYmenu64.exe [options] [file] ...

Options:
  --mouse <XxY>
    Mouse coordinates
  --datafile <path>
    The text file to read the [file] args from.
    One file/shell item per line
  --quit
    Quit.

Examples:
  XYmenu64.exe --mouse 123x40 C:\dir\file.txt ::{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}
  XYmenu64.exe C:\dir\some_file.DLL
  XYmenu64.exe --datafile C:\Users\Bob\AppData\Local\Temp\UniqueName.txt
  XYmenu64.exe --mouse 1x2 --datafile C:\Users\Bob\AppData\Local\Temp\UniqueName.txt
Mouse position is declared as optional because, from the top of my head, it is not a technical requirement. But I guess it is still useful to pass it so that the menu pops up at the exact initial position in case user moved the mouse a bit while XYmenu64 is invoked (spawning a process is heavy after all). If specified, it would always be via the command line (i.e. instead of the temp file).

To avoid the heaviness and ugliness of creating a temporary file when it is not necessary (i.e. max limit of command line not exceeded; so most cases a priori), I suggest XYplorer to pass all the arguments via the command line so that any remaining positional argument is interpreted as a file/shell address.
Otherwise, would the max limit be reached (least common case a priori), it would still be able to use the "--datafile" parameter.

To avoid any trouble on both sides, the whole command line will be passed by XYmenu64 to the CommandLineToArgvW API instead of implementing a custom parser. But I trust XYplorer already follows the conventional guidelines to quote the command line instead of just adding double-quotes :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Looks good! :tup:

perceuze

Post by perceuze »

admin wrote:Looks good! :tup:
Would you be so kind to send me your e-mail address so that we can pursue this without polluting the forum?
I suspect an exchange will be required for the technical details and the tests.

highend

Post by highend »

One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Good news: Next version the 64-bit context menu will support the SHIFT key to pop the "extended" menu!

Thanks to Daniel, the author of ContextMenu64.exe, who found the time to add this within a very short time. :tup: :beer:

highend

Post by highend »

The source code of the app was (already) / will be published?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Not that I know of.

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

admin wrote:Not that I know of.
I think highend remembered:
perceuze wrote:
But, at least, I hope you have the source, now?

Edit forgot to say "happy new year to all"!!
W7(x64) SP1 German
( +WXP SP3 )

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yep, happy 2018 to all! :beer:

highend

Post by highend »

Splitted these postings from the original thread to better keep track of this change...