Clipboard Manager

What other productivity software are you working with...
grindax

Re: Clipboard Manager

Post by grindax »

Last edited by grindax on 23 Jan 2016 20:02, edited 1 time in total.

tedy

Post by tedy »

I've been trying clipboard extenders for about a decade without been able to choose one to live with. I've tried ALL of them, maybe hundreds. Most of them are abandoned long ago.
Recently I had my next burst of tests of most known such software.
It all boils down to only two.
Arsclip is the best for those who can put up with the style of "popup menu" only. It does its job very nicely for that. It can fit few tens of clips to show in a popup menu. It can't handle large amounts of clips though, especially images/screenshots - it can take up large amounts of memory. I was using it for some time just to conclude that it's not my way of working with the clipboard. I wanted to be able to store thoudsnds of clips and to be able to choose easily from a rich list (e.g. a normal window with all info about clips).
Saying that, my next favorite is ClipCache Pro. It does everything I want. Yes, it's not actively developed but it seems to work on Win7 x64 without many issues so far in my tests, using very small amounts of RAM and resources, even with many hundreds of large clips.
The only issue that bugged me is the preview area for image clips - when the preview is 1:1 (actual size) it's fine. But the mode with Shrink, Fit window etc. are buggy and only show a small thumbnail in the preview area. Not a big deal, given all the other advantages, being light and fast, not with some Win3 outdated interface, works well, has quickpaste and quick access to prev/next clips etc.
The developer just showed up and he says that he'll revive clipcache. There is even a small update now.

All other contenders like clipmate et all, were/are slower and buggier. Things like Ditto or ClipX (ancient program) were never in my fav-list.

armsys

Post by armsys »

tedy wrote:I've been trying clipboard extenders for about a decade without been able to choose one to live with. I've tried ALL of them, maybe hundreds. Most of them are abandoned long ago.
Recently I had my next burst of tests of most known such software.
It all boils down to only two.
Arsclip is the best for those who can put up with the style of "popup menu" only. It does its job very nicely for that. It can fit few tens of clips to show in a popup menu. It can't handle large amounts of clips though, especially images/screenshots - it can take up large amounts of memory. I was using it for some time just to conclude that it's not my way of working with the clipboard. I wanted to be able to store thoudsnds of clips and to be able to choose easily from a rich list (e.g. a normal window with all info about clips).
Saying that, my next favorite is ClipCache Pro. It does everything I want. Yes, it's not actively developed but it seems to work on Win7 x64 without many issues so far in my tests, using very small amounts of RAM and resources, even with many hundreds of large clips.
The only issue that bugged me is the preview area for image clips - when the preview is 1:1 (actual size) it's fine. But the mode with Shrink, Fit window etc. are buggy and only show a small thumbnail in the preview area. Not a big deal, given all the other advantages, being light and fast, not with some Win3 outdated interface, works well, has quickpaste and quick access to prev/next clips etc.
The developer just showed up and he says that he'll revive clipcache. There is even a small update now.

All other contenders like clipmate et all, were/are slower and buggier. Things like Ditto or ClipX (ancient program) were never in my fav-list.
Have you tried AceText? Unlike other clipboard extenders, it handles text only. It's particularly designed for programmers. In particular, it uses separate "Collection" to store different sets of boilerplate text or code snippets such as VBScript. Of course, its major strength is regex handling. It's created by Jan Goyvaerts, the world renowned expert in regex. I like AceText because it's very powerful but simple.
Just my 2 cents.

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

I think I'm going to settle with CLCL. For now. Small and stable so far.
Has an unusual invocation method; the configuration needs some getting used to.
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

BobCrash

Post by BobCrash »

Hello..

Seen enough of SammaySarkar's stuff to want to try his choice of 'CLCL', but don't see a link, or a clear reference looking back through the topic posts...

Can someone help point it out to this thick-headed member??

Thanks all!

highend

Post by highend »

One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

BobCrash

Post by BobCrash »

Thanks highend for the speedy reply..
CLCL is pretty neat so far.

mu-sick

Post by mu-sick »

I think you should also try CopyQ
"CopyQ is advanced clipboard manager with editing and scripting features."
https://hluk.github.io/CopyQ/

BobCrash

Post by BobCrash »

Thanks for telling me abt it! I'll check it out, it's more capable perhaps than the CLCL, but I've been pretty pleased with the ease of use of CLCL.

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

If you haven't already and you aren't too entrenched in whatever you currently are using, give Clipjump http://clipjump.sourceforge.net/ a try. I love the way you an quickly cycle between your clips and at the same time see them in a bubble by pressing ctrl-V keys to go forward or ctrl-C to go backwards through your saved clips without the need of bring up up lists of clips where you select which one you want to paste.
As stated on the sourceforge site..."No opening a GUI and looking for your clip to paste it. Everything happens from Ctrl+V here, the pasting operation is superfast.
Windows 11, 22H2 Build 22621.1555 at 100% 2560x1440

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

Avi has an excellent idea with that "dynamic shortcut" thing. Clipjump was my top choice, but over time, it began feeling generally... clunky. (I got its source repo though :ugeek: )
Most importantly, it seems to have trouble with certain custom clipboard formats, specifically graphic content with transparency. This seems to be a common shortcoming of most clipboard managers I've tried.
[edit: apparently clipjump's development is in a halted state now]

CLCL, on the other hand, is pretty simplistic, but seems to do excellent handling of all kinds of custom clip data.
The only things missing so far are easy scriptability (well, it apparently has a plugin system), and a quick way of deleting or sticky-ing specific clips. Clips can be made sticky by placing them in the templates category, but requires opening the Viewer window.

------
I'll share my current basic CLCL config here (uses the tool_text and tool_utl plugins. Downloadable from CLCL's download page)
clcl.xys
rename to "clcl.ini" and place in CLC's profile folder
(17.55 KiB) Downloaded 240 times
WIN+CTRL+V: clip list, and some utility options; WIN+ALT+V: opens the viewer/manager window;
WIN+CTRL+C: toggles clipboard watching, so I can have volatile temporay clips.
  • WIN+CTRL+C: stop watching clipboard > copy one-time clip > paste > copy reusable clip > WIN+CTRL+C: resume watching
left-click on tray shows history, right-click shows utlity menu.

By the way. CLCL saves settings portably by default, but the save path depends on current user name. You can give a static path by modifying the User key in <CLCL.exe path>\general.ini, eg. to use <CLCL.exe path>\profile\

Code: Select all

User=profile
[ this user is asleep ]

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Hi Sammay, yes it is a shame that Avi isn't able to further maintain Clipjump. I read that he's now on a Mac. My needs as far as using a clipboard manager are relatively simple (i.e., mostly text and a few jpgs) so Clipjump has been working fine for me. I suppose I'll continue to use it until it's broken. I may give CLCL another try at some point. I've had it on my computer for some time though I'll need to update it.

Off this topic but, are you still thinking of updating your Folder Pane Preview script for customizing vertical panes when in the preview mode? Obtaining properly sized vertical panes coming from a single pane when or horizontal dual panes hasn't been working well using other methods discussed. Thanks.

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

klownboy wrote:Off this topic but, are you still thinking of updating your Folder Pane Preview script [...] Thanks.
Yes, absolutely. Sorry for the delay. I've got a lot on my plate these days.
Actually dual pane splitting works properly now, just needs some finishing touches. I've decided to avoid automatic resizing, for various reasons.
I've been working on ensuring that the script keeps working even after switching to the preview pane, because sometimes you want to adjust the preview tab's view and columns sizes etc. (Well I found the need).

So that's the state of things.
[ this user is asleep ]

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Sounds great Sammay, thank you.

BobCrash

Post by BobCrash »

Thanks for the suggestions and insights to the use. You guys are always helpful.
..I will experiment with the others now, ..ultimately, stuff like this saves time and aggravation.