Save Icon Locations - Minor, but I do Hate Losing my Desktop Setup

What other productivity software are you working with...
Dustydog

Save Icon Locations - Minor, but I do Hate Losing my Desktop Setup

Post by Dustydog »

First, if you don't want to lose your icon locations from a spontaneous graphics driver reset (or whatever), doing a quick right-click reset periodically does plant your icons fairly well. But, change master zoom settings, or other major change, and you may just get scrambled. I hate that. So, I use this:

DesktopOK from http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=Download

It passed my antivirus checks when I got it ages ago, but as always - hit it with virustotal and malwarebytes. Better safe than sorry and all that.

I have it set to remember and rotate the last 4 icon setups I've had, but then I also save the icon locations in its .dok format (whenever things are particularly tidy) - which never goes away mysteriously - it remembers last save location so a folder wherever works fine. The easy save feature can forget if really pushed (can't remember what I DID to make it not restore, but I managed to mess things up once). You can set it to automatically save locations with various triggers. You can have it include the dpi and or date you were using at the time of a save.

It's a non-install program. Freeware without nags. Works fine Windows 10.

Here's an open source one I haven't tried, as an alternative, if you feel safer:
http://desktopiconsave.sourceforge.net/

In any event, for someone who still likes to live off his desktop, I find this useful. If you know of a better alternative, feel free to let me know.

TheQwerty

Re: Save Icon Locations - Minor, but I do Hate Losing my Desktop Setup

Post by TheQwerty »

I briefly used ReIcon to solve similar issues here.

Then I decided to bite the bullet and purchase Stardock's Fences and I haven't looked back.

Dustydog

Post by Dustydog »

Looks like an interesting product. Curious if you're just using fences or went whole hog with their object desktop? They've got interesting products. I must admit to being a desktop addict - why use the start menu when I can have everything I want organized properly by project-type with data links and programs arranged.... Just. So.

And metro tiles? "shudder" at least for me.

I'm always a little hesitant to install something that changes The Options It Comes With too much due to yet another company to get things right, plus time commitment to learn its options - and old habits. XY finally won me over completely for file management, and I was a bit surprised. But gads, am I glad to pretty much get rid of file-management batch files for just one for instance.

ReIcon certainly looks like it would handle the same problem as DesktopOK. Thanks for taking the time with your suggestions.

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

Dustydog wrote:Looks like an interesting product. Curious if you're just using fences or went whole hog with their object desktop?
I've only used Fences. I'm hesitant to install programs that hook into the depths of Windows and try to replace the shell. Plus I'm still on Windows 7 so... :whistle:

Dustydog

Post by Dustydog »

Well, if I were smart, and just used Fences to save icon locations, it's cheap and elegant. Instead, I've been silly and actually wasted time playing with the thing ;)

I'm also testing out their Windows 10 Start menu. Which is nice.

Hasn't helped my boot speed any, though - but I really hate tiles.

If I think they're worth recommending, I'll update.

prino

Post by prino »

Have been using Iconoid for years, never had any problems with it, and, not that I need it, the source is available.
Robert AH Prins
robert.ah.prins @ the.17+Gb.Google thingy
At last, a tiny bit of programming here... :mrgreen:

pat55

Post by pat55 »

I have also used DesktopOK have had a few good saves with it.