WinRAR and Drag'n'Drop behaviour

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
tomuser

Re: WinRAR and Drag'n'Drop behaviour

Post by tomuser »

Hm.. Didn't think of that earlier to try to drag'n'drop into closed archive. This works fine for me too with latest and greatest :D. But still no luck with dragging into open archive window.

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

What about dragging files into Zips? I use WinRAR for both zip and rar files and WinRAR is the default program for the zip extension. But dragging stuff into a zip gives me the Shell Drop Failed error.
Running on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit quad-core ASUS G752-VY notebook with 64 GB RAM, over 26 external USB3 drives attached via multiple powered hubs with letters and mount points, totaling 120+ TB.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Jerry wrote:What about dragging files into Zips? I use WinRAR for both zip and rar files and WinRAR is the default program for the zip extension. But dragging stuff into a zip gives me the Shell Drop Failed error.
Please try the next beta (v17.70.0202).

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

admin wrote:Please try the next beta (v17.70.0202).

Works fine. Thanks!
Running on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit quad-core ASUS G752-VY notebook with 64 GB RAM, over 26 external USB3 drives attached via multiple powered hubs with letters and mount points, totaling 120+ TB.

4EverMaAT

Post by 4EverMaAT »

Jerry wrote:
admin wrote:Please try the next beta (v17.70.0202).

Works fine. Thanks!

Was having the same problem where dragging file onto zip folder resulted in shell error (but in Windows Explorer, it works fine)

I can confirm this beta (v17.70.0208) seems to fix the problem. Sad to see it was not working in free version.

thor

Post by thor »

.zip/.rar dragging works now with XYplorer 17.80 and WinRar 5.40 (x64). Thanks!

Thorsten

MikeMcr

Post by MikeMcr »

thor wrote:.zip/.rar dragging works now with XYplorer 17.80 and WinRar 5.40 (x64). Thanks!

Thorsten
I'm new to XYplorer and this doesn't work for me in XYplorer 18.10.0100 and WinRAR 5.40 (64-bit). If I drag a file onto an archive, WinRAR pops up an error that says "Access Denied". I have full access rights to the folder (tried other folders as well). I can fix it by turning off the WinRAR option called "Use only for removable drives" under the Paths tab. This prevents WinRAR from creating temporary files in the current folder (default behaviour). Why would XYplorer cause an Access Denied error? Works fine from Windows Explorer.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Indeed hard to understand. Does it help if you run XYplorer as administrator?

MikeMcr

Post by MikeMcr »

admin wrote:Indeed hard to understand. Does it help if you run XYplorer as administrator?
Yes, that works. I think I know what the problem is. I used Process Explorer to compare the command line passed to WinRAR and other properties when using XYplorer and Windows Explorer. Two differences:

1. Ignoring the actual filenames, the other options passed when dragging and dropping are very different:

Code: Select all

XYplorer uses: a -ep1

Windows Explorer uses: a -ag- -ep1  -scul -r0 -iext
2. The current working directory is different.

Number 2 is what causes the Access Denied.

When XYplorer launches WinRAR.exe, the current working directory is: C:\Program Files (x86)\XYplorer\
When Windows Explorer launches WinRAR.exe, the current working directory is the current directory, i.e. where your archive file you dragged onto is.

I can now reproduce this from the command prompt. If I change to the Windows folder (or any protected folder) and issue the WinRAR add file command, I get access denied. It is trying to create temporary files in the current folder.

So, should XYplorer set the current directory to the one selected before calling the drop target application, if that is what Windows Explorer does?

EDIT: It seems adding the missing "-iext" option also fixes it when called from the command prompt but I don't know what that means or why the other options are different.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks, that's useful information! The next version will hopefully benefit from it (by setting the current working directory).
MikeMcr wrote:EDIT: It seems adding the missing "-iext" option also fixes it when called from the command prompt but I don't know what that means or why the other options are different.
This "-iext" option is a mystery. The internet does not know anything about it. I hesitate to add it before I know what it does.

MikeMcr

Post by MikeMcr »

admin wrote:The next version will hopefully benefit from it (by setting the current working directory).
Confirmed fixed in 18.20, thank you. :tup:

MasterBlaster

Post by MasterBlaster »

I have 18.20 and drag and drop still acts odd.
Rather than just going to the directory I dropped it into, now a get a new menu asking me to tell it where to drop the files.
They should go where I drop them.

MikeMcr

Post by MikeMcr »

MasterBlaster wrote:I have 18.20 and drag and drop still acts odd.
Rather than just going to the directory I dropped it into, now a get a new menu asking me to tell it where to drop the files.
They should go where I drop them.
Strange, works fine for me. What does the menu look like?

MasterBlaster

Post by MasterBlaster »

To be clear, I am dragging from a ZIP archive onto XYplorer.
On ver 18.10 it was dropping right through XYplorer onto my desktop.
Now I get a little popup menu with a tree. I have to pick the directory.
Then I tried it again in another directory and it remembered what I selected before even though I selected another directory.
I do not know how to upload an image from my computer.

MikeMcr

Post by MikeMcr »

MasterBlaster wrote:To be clear, I am dragging from a ZIP archive onto XYplorer.
Ah, OK, that is different to what I was doing and what was fixed. I take it you are using WinRAR though? If I open a ZIP archive in WinRAR by double-clicking the archive and then drag and drop FROM WinRAR TO XYplorer, again, it works without a prompt. Is your WinRAR version 5.40?