Option for Live Filter Box instead of Type Ahead Find

Features wanted...
highend

Re: Option for Live Filter Box instead of Type Ahead Find

Post by highend »

If you make this change and use the lfb only for displaying the current filter maybe you could

- Make the box read only
- Exclude it from being able to tab to it / click into it
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

admin wrote:IF Configuration | Filters & Type Ahead Find | Type Ahead Find | Redirect typing to Live Filter Box is ON then:a) All typing in the list works as if typing in the box (but the focus will stay in the list). I think this alone will meet all your desires (well, those you mentioned here ).
Hi Don, so in doing this (i.e., maintaining focus in the list), I assume the cursor would not be seen in the LFB even when typing and hitting Esc will still remove the filter and remove the LFB from the Status bar. :tup:
Windows 11, 22H2 Build 22621.1555 at 100% 2560x1440

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

klownboy wrote:
admin wrote:IF Configuration | Filters & Type Ahead Find | Type Ahead Find | Redirect typing to Live Filter Box is ON then:a) All typing in the list works as if typing in the box (but the focus will stay in the list). I think this alone will meet all your desires (well, those you mentioned here ).
Hi Don, so in doing this (i.e., maintaining focus in the list), I assume the cursor would not be seen in the LFB even when typing and hitting Esc will still remove the filter and remove the LFB from the Status bar. :tup:
Yep.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

highend wrote:If you make this change and use the lfb only for displaying the current filter maybe you could

- Make the box read only
- Exclude it from being able to tab to it / click into it
Why?

highend

Post by highend »

When it's not necessary any more to type a pattern
Inside the lfb there isn't any need to access the box
at all. It just a visual representation of the filter...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

highend wrote:When it's not necessary any more to type a pattern
Inside the lfb there isn't any need to access the box
at all. It just a visual representation of the filter...
I guess you (Don) have to determine what happens or does not happen when someone intentionally clicks in the LFB. Nothing happens because it's read only OR the filter still works as before, but the focus is now changed to the LFB. At some stage though the focus has to return to the list possibly after typing begins again since this would be your normal condition after this change.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I don't see any problem in leaving the LFB fully functional at the same time.

autocart

Post by autocart »

I feel, if "Redirecting to LFB" is on, then it would be a good idea to make the LFB readonly (under the new conditions). avoiding confusion with 2 (redundant) ways of input.
If it is off, then ofc, it would have to be an edit/input box.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think it would be more confusing to have an edit box that cannot be edited.

autocart

Post by autocart »

*tear my hair*
a readonly box would actually be (like) a label in my understanding. not an actual edit box that cannot be edited. that should really go without saying.

EDIT: but actually then the "box" in the status bar would not be needed anymore at all since the visual feedback would anyway be in the filter bar (on top) and that's ok. so correction: instead of making the edit box read-only it would be better to remove it all together (under the new conditions)

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

autocart wrote:actually then the "box" in the status bar would not be needed anymore at all since the visual feedback would anyway be in the filter bar (on top) and that's ok. so correction: instead of making the edit box read-only it would be better to remove it all together (under the new conditions)
However, the list filter box is an option in Configuration. So those that don't have the filter displayed in the list pane may want a visual of what they're typing. I could get used to anything over time though.

autocart

Post by autocart »

ok, and yes, I can also live with a real input/edit box. no problem.

EDIT: why are we commenting on a Sunday?? :beer:

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Code: Select all

Re: v17.80.0014 - 2017-04-02 17:29
         - Pressing Back will remove the last character of the current filter.
          - Pressing ESC will remove the filter and the box if there is any.
        b) The focus will stay in the List all the time.
Much better! Thank you!
Running on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit quad-core ASUS G752-VY notebook with 64 GB RAM, over 26 external USB3 drives attached via multiple powered hubs with letters and mount points, totaling 120+ TB.

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

LFB was great before, but even better now. Thanks Don. :tup:

photoman

Post by photoman »

admin wrote:I must say that was pretty convincing. :appl:

I will try to make it work like this:

IF Configuration | Filters & Type Ahead Find | Type Ahead Find | Redirect typing to Live Filter Box is ON then:
a) All typing in the list works as if typing in the box (but the focus will stay in the list). I think this alone will meet all your desires (well, those you mentioned here ;) ).
b) But I will continue to show the box if there is a filter. It won't harm if you don't look at it anyway, but I think it's a good visual feedback for what's going on.
Don,
After a bit of testing and a couple of hours of normal usage, you have indeed met "all my desires"!
I am very impressed and very grateful. Also, my productivity has increased a huge amount.

Over the next several months, I will be transitioning to xyplorer as my main file manager, and I plan to use it as my main photo cataloging software. I need to create a workflow that allows me to merge tag modifications for my pictures among my 3 main computers. I'll probably write some kind of text processing script to merge TAG.DAT properly when changes occur.
After that I will use this to tag my MP3 music collection. Haven't looked into it yet, but I saw a 5 star rating system in XYPlorer. I need a 10 star system or 5 stars with half star granularity. I'm not sure this can do that but at least there are custom fields that I can use to create a rating system, which should work fine.

I'm already starting to use it as my main file launcher. I was going to write a small utility to do what I want, but I think with the combination of XYplorer "Papers", customizable keyboard shortcuts, and storing the data in text files, I can customize this to be an ultra fast, ultra convenient file launcher. Especially with LFB working so well, this suits my needs almost exactly compared to the small utility I was going to write.
I can create a Favorites.TXT paper, assign a Keyboard shortcut to navigate to it in a new tab, then use LFB to get to the shortcut I want to launch. This will be an incredibly fast way to launch applications for me.

I'm going to use this a lot now, and I'll let you know if I find anything that needs attention.

Big Thanks and Appreciation!