NirSoft Utilities

What other productivity software are you working with...
Dustydog

NirSoft Utilities

Post by Dustydog »

Free, no garbage packaged with them, just useful for a lot of little things. Too many to even begin to list - kind of like trying to fully describe SysInternals.

Have fun browsing if you don't know them:

http://www.nirsoft.net/

jadinolf

Re: NirSoft Utilities

Post by jadinolf »

Thanks for this Dustydog.
This post printed on 100% recycled bytes
Windows 10 on six computers

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

You might have a look at WSCC (by KirySoft / KLS SOFT) - it includes both NirSoft utilities and Sysinternals, adding some more functions.

(It says: "Free for personal and commercial use.")
W7(x64) SP1 German
( +WXP SP3 )

Dustydog

Post by Dustydog »

PeterH wrote:You might have a look at WSCC (by KirySoft / KLS SOFT) - it includes both NirSoft utilities and Sysinternals, adding some more functions.

(It says: "Free for personal and commercial use.")
Who'd have thought? That is useful, especially the auto-update. And makes it less of a hassle to add to PATH. Thanks!

Dustydog

Post by Dustydog »

BTW, this is how that company make their money, and explains the free software, no strings - they just want you to visit for something free, useful, and reputation building:
KLS Backup 2015 is a powerful backup and synchronization program that allows you to backup or synchronize your data to local and network drives, cloud storage or CD/DVD media. The backup files can be stored uncompressed or compressed in standard Zip or 7z format. KLS Backup 2015 can backup: files and folders from local drives, network locations or cloud storage, databases, mail boxes and other application specific data (profiles). Advanced version management, makes possible to find and restore any backup version within seconds. The synchronization feature allows you to easily synchronize the contents of two different folders.
It isn't cheap ($79 license, $119 lifetime upgrades), but it does seem like a good solution. After an appalling experience waaaay back with Acronis, I only do manual backups at this point. Never again will I depend on a proprietary backup format, no matter what the current (key word there - a formerly American firm sold the company to some Russians if I recall, and the transition was anything but smooth) reputation of the company is. Used them because they used to be the best bare metal restore in the business. But...yech.

Anyway, thought they deserved a plug for a decent looking backup and sync solution that didn't use proprietary formats.

Dustydog

Post by Dustydog »

Vice Versa Pro, by the Bulk Rename Utility people, is a good competitor to that product.

Used to feel very grateful to the BRU people before I got XY and learned regular expressions. Still a good utility if you're struggling with regex-type renaming: Basically gives all the options in a...everything in your face sort of interface. Seems cluttered at first, but you'll get to love it - if you still need it after seeing all the lovely features in XY.

I don't use it any longer, but it's useful if you need it. Great program - lot of power made usable.