Is there a keyboard shortcut to clear the Live Filter box, w/o changing focus?

Features wanted...
Jerry

Is there a keyboard shortcut to clear the Live Filter box, w/o changing focus?

Post by Jerry »

Didn't see any existing keyboard shortcut to clear the Live Filter box without changing focus. Can one be added?
Last edited by Jerry on 11 Jan 2017 19:40, edited 1 time in total.
Running on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit quad-core ASUS G752-VY notebook with 64 GB RAM, over 26 external USB3 drives attached via multiple powered hubs with letters and mount points, totaling 120+ TB.

highend

Re: Is there a keyboard shortcut to clear the Live Filter box?

Post by highend »

{ESC}?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

Jerry

Re: Is there a keyboard shortcut to clear the Live Filter box?

Post by Jerry »

highend wrote:{ESC}?
It doesn't work for me if I have focus in the list itself and not in the live filter box.
Running on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit quad-core ASUS G752-VY notebook with 64 GB RAM, over 26 external USB3 drives attached via multiple powered hubs with letters and mount points, totaling 120+ TB.

highend

Re: Is there a keyboard shortcut to clear the Live Filter box, w/o changing focus?

Post by highend »

You didn't mention that you are in e.g. in a pane and want to clear the lfb "externally" :)

I'll move this to the wishes section...

Jerry

Re: Is there a keyboard shortcut to clear the Live Filter box, w/o changing focus?

Post by Jerry »

highend wrote:You didn't mention that you are in e.g. in a pane and want to clear the lfb "externally" :)
I'll move this to the wishes section...
Yes, sorry. I later updated the post and subject to indicate the focus issue. I think this feature is really needed. I'm very often in a filtered list via the live filter box and it's quite cumbersome to have to go back to the box just to clear it, when I no longer want the live filter on.

highend

Post by highend »

Instead of clearing you could just use it's normal shortcut (alt + f3) to hide the box while in the list pane (which clears it automatically)
and reinvoke it again when you want it visible and have focus?

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

highend wrote:Instead of clearing you could just use it's normal shortcut (alt + f3) to hide the box while in the list pane (which clears it automatically) and reinvoke it again when you want it visible and have focus?
Ok, that's a reasonable workaround for now. Thanks. Still would like to see a dedicated shortcut for this.

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

What about Shift-ESC for clearing the Live Filter Box (while focus is in the list), but still keeping it visible?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What about a new command "Toggle Live Filter" in menu View | Tab?

If filter is ON:
- clear the Live Filter Box
- keep it visible
- keep focus where it is

If filter is OFF:
- activate the last filter
- show the Live Filter Box if it's not shown
- keep focus where it is

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

Can't you achieve this already with a Run Script UDC assigned a shortcut and this script:

Code: Select all

filter '', 8;

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

admin wrote:What about a new command "Toggle Live Filter" in menu View | Tab?

If filter is ON:
- clear the Live Filter Box
- keep it visible
- keep focus where it is

If filter is OFF:
- activate the last filter
- show the Live Filter Box if it's not shown
- keep focus where it is
That definitely works for me. On a related note, have you considered adding a history dropdown list to the Live Box filter?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

TheQwerty wrote:Can't you achieve this already with a Run Script UDC assigned a shortcut and this script:

Code: Select all

filter '', 8;
Yep, one could script it.

But I think a "Toggle Live Filter" (e.g. Ctrl+Alt+F3) command would be a natural and useful addition.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Jerry wrote:On a related note, have you considered adding a history dropdown list to the Live Box filter?
Yes, I have and declined it. I want to keep this simple. KISS.