Incorrect icon status for folder with a USB drive

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
zer0

Incorrect icon status for folder with a USB drive

Post by zer0 »

Simple to test:

1. Plug in external USB HDD
2. Navigate to a folder on that HDD
3. Change to a different tab in the same pane.
4. Use system tray to safely remove that USB HDD
5. The icon of that folder in the other tab won't change but, if you were to go back to it, it will switch to a ? inside a white circle.

Naturally, the expected behaviour is for each tab -- whether background or foreground in the current or other pane -- to reflect the correct status of that location. Leaving that icon as-is gives an incorrect impression that the device is still connected, which is not true.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

admin
Site Admin

Re: Incorrect icon status for folder with a USB drive

Post by admin »

Thanks for the report. "Unfortunately" it works fine here. The icon auto-changes to "?" in the moment I remove the USB. (Win 8.1)

zer0

Post by zer0 »

I am using Windows 7, so the OS may be a factor here. Can you spin up a VM to evaluate? Don't have a Win 10 install to hand to check there right now.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There is no extra Win7 code happening in the related procedures and I don't plan to add one. I've said it often and I say it again: the Windows notification system has always been sloppy and continues to be so. You can work around it only so far.

zer0

Post by zer0 »

If the Windows notification system is sloppy, why not periodically check whether a given tab location still exists in the file system?

Also, somewhat related to this, I can see that my external drive is listed in the Computer tab but not in the locked tree. Is that another "notification system" glitch?
Windows 7/10

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, it works in Win8 so I guess they have fixed that.

That's by design.

zer0

Post by zer0 »

admin wrote:Well, it works in Win8 so I guess they have fixed that.
While that may be the case, you also support XY on Win7 and XY sits on top of Windows and has to make do with how Windows works. To that end, since you seem to suggest that MS hasn't fixed something they should have done, it follows that you do what is necessary to prevent this issue from materialising. At the end of the day, as a user and sorry if this comes across as flippant, I don't really care whether it's an issue in Win7 or XY so long as it works in the right way in XY as that is the "top layer" that I am interfacing with. You are free to badger MS to fix things but, in the meantime, I would appreciate if you would add code to mitigate the situation.
Windows 7/10