Update Forum Software?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Filehero

Update Forum Software?

Post by Filehero »

What happened to my beloved theme (don't remember the name)?

All of a sudden it seems to be gone, at least I can't find any themeing option in my preferences anymore. :(
Last edited by Filehero on 23 Nov 2016 17:02, edited 1 time in total.

highend

Re: Update Forum Software?

Post by highend »

Damn, what happened? This theme is crap^^
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

Ha - what a relief! I thought I made something wrong.

But I searched for the option to change (back): nothing found.

So: problem is here, too :cry:
Win11 Pro 223H2 Gerrman

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

Besides matters of taste and usability (no more <Cancel> button in the post editor) the current theme served me as a simple user-session-is-gone indicator.

Hopefully just a missing server-side config.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Uh, yeah, thanks for the feedback. One afternoon worth of work.

I personally like it and yet have to meet any disadvantages. Whatever, improvements are always possible I guess. Give it some days to mature...

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

Just to give it another vote: Yes, I liked the other style/theme (whatever its name was) better too.
@Don: That's actually what was missing, once I could login again.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

admin wrote:I personally like it and yet have to meet any disadvantages.
- less contrast (!), the stronger blue ist hurting mye eyes much quicker
- no cancel button in editor
- less flatness (though I've loved them 20 years ago, today each time I see those rounded corner designs my brain immediately bubbles 'Hello Kitty' :titter: )

to name a few.

I wonder, why you ahve removed an option? I always thought those are default themes, which - if remaining uncustomized - don't put any extra maintenance fee on top for a provider. But since I am completely unfamiliar with those platforms, I'm likely wrong.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Filehero wrote:
admin wrote:I personally like it and yet have to meet any disadvantages.
- less contrast (!), the stronger blue ist hurting mye eyes much quicker
- no cancel button in editor
- less flatness (though I've loved them 20 years ago, today each time I see those rounded corner designs my brain immediately bubbles 'Hello Kitty' :titter: )

to name a few.

I wonder, why you ahve removed an option? I always thought those are default themes, which - if remaining uncustomized - don't put any extra maintenance fee on top for a provider. But since I am completely unfamiliar with those platforms, I'm likely wrong.
I have not actively removed any option.

- less contrast, strong blue? I don't note anything. :?
- no cancel button in editor. Never used it. What does it do? Why not simply use your back button to cancel editing?
- less flatness. Yep, it could be flatter. There are some cool payware themes out there which I would prefer. I'm still not sure whether this would be wise though. The current look is standard and I learned over the years that most people love the standard. :|

highend

Post by highend »

And obviously a few people don't like that "new" standard... We liked the old one

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

If I'm right, the old look some people (me too) had wasn't the standard, but an option - as there were 2 different kinds of style.

Yes - "the other" old style was better (for me) than the new one.
Win11 Pro 223H2 Gerrman

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I cannot support 2 styles anymore. The forum software becomes more complex with every release. I have no time to make certain customizations twice. Sorry.

eil

Post by eil »

5cents to the pile - for me this style was always "or damn, i'm not logged in" and i rushed to log in 'cause this style hurts. now it's only option which hurts much more. :(
Win 7 SP1 x64 100% 1366x768

highend

Post by highend »

Worst decision ever... It's like Windows 10. Uhh, nice that instead of having a direct link like in former versions to something you now have "fancy" dropdown menus to make things more complicated to reach. The "old" theme was eye-friendly, easy to grasp and quick to navigate. The (what is this called, "silver"?) is everything but that...

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

I agree with all the sentiments of the unhappy crowd so far and could add some more:
- Maybe it's just a problem for red-green colorblind people like me but with the (now standard) prosilver theme I can't see which
forums have unread posts in it since the only difference seems to be a change in color of the icon in front of the forum
(which doesn't work for me - with 100% scaling anyway).
PicPick_071_sml.jpg
PicPick_071_sml.jpg (9 KiB) Viewed 2709 times
- The same goes for the markers in front of the threads in a subforum which were clearer to see apart
between read and unread posts in the other theme.

So I pretty much have to hover every icon first in order to see what's new, a very frustrating experience.

I seem to recall that the name of the other theme was "subsilver" or something similar.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

Marco

Post by Marco »

Maybe we could replicate the old look by taking the old css from another forum?
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]