Preview Pane doesn't use all available space

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
elqasar

Preview Pane doesn't use all available space

Post by elqasar »

In the preview pane I see some types of files, like images, use all the available space. But other types of files, like PDF, only use a small fixed sized space in the middle of the preview pane with lots of wasted space on the sides.

I was reading the help and it says this:
Previews are horizontally and vertically centered in the pane. There is a 16 pixels padding on all sides. No zoom or so, you always see the whole image optimally scaled to the available space.

Why doesn't this work for PDF, and oxps and probably some others?

Here is how all PDF are displayed in the preview pane:
previewpane.png
previewpane.png (23.39 KiB) Viewed 3743 times

admin
Site Admin

Re: Preview Pane doesn't use all available space

Post by admin »

This has to be the fault of your PDF preview handler. You can send me your PDF for testing, but I bet it's displayed using the full space here. I use PDF-XChange's preview handler (install the free PDF-XChange Viewer or PDF-Xchange Editor to get it). Which is yours?

See also here: https://www.xyplorer.com/faq-topic.php?id=ShellExView

elqasar

Post by elqasar »

The same thing happens with all PDF files, it is not just one. I have Foxit as the preview handler. But I see the same thing happen with XPS (.oxps extension) files which means it can't just be Foxit. ShellExView says that Microsoft XPS Rich Preview Handler is the preview handler for .oxps files.

What happens when you view .oxps files? You can use the Microsoft XPS Document Writer printer in Windows 8 to create some.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Such small previews usually mean that embedded preview thumbnails are used. I cannot control it, I just show what the interface gives to me. Or do you get larger previews in Explorer?

elqasar

Post by elqasar »

In Explorer's preview pane, PDF and OXPS files are big. They use all the available space in the preview pane.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Then it's a defect in the 32-bit preview handler. That's bad. Still I cannot do anything here. (Apart from recommending PDF-XChange.)

elqasar

Post by elqasar »

OK, I understand. That's too bad. It is unusual that even Microsoft's built-in preview handlers are defective.

jupe

Re: Preview Pane doesn't dynamically resize video to use all available space

Post by jupe »

I am just recycling this topic, since it is a close match, but my query is unrelated.

Since your recent changes regarding previews that use quartz to show preview controls in the status bar I have been testing out the preview pane more than previously, and I have noticed that resizing the preview pane doesn't resize the video size dynamically, so to enlarge the preview pane of the current file you have to 1st change the pane size then click off/on the file again, but when viewing images etc it resizes them dynamically, and if you have a preview handler (eg AVI via WMP) it does too, but not when viewing videos via quartz, I wouldn't bother bringing it up but the thing is that when previewing in the Info Panel the preview size can be scaled up and down dynamically no problems, I am not terribly fussed about it, but just thought it was strange, and possibly fixable since the expected behavior is observed in the Info Panel, but I realize there is some behind-the-scenes disconnect between the behavior of both preview places that I don't fully comprehend.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Bingo, good find. :tup: Comes with next beta.