Custom Copy: direct actions buttons on collisions

Features wanted...
tedy

Re: Custom Copy: direct actions buttons on collisions

Post by tedy »

Well, that's the point to customizability :) . One may have their own "100%", another one has another "100%".
And the point of the topic was to ease use of the resolution dialog. To repeat one of my arguments - one time you use "Overwrite" button, the other time you have to use the dropdown to select the other (only, in addition to Overwrite) option - not consistent. Also among the many options I always have to pinpoint the right (only) option from the dropdown, which is the most confusing and time-consuming operation.
But it's Ok, it was just a suggestion. I'm back to Windows copy where I have one click resolution for 100% of my needs - coincidently just the right 2 options I use (or wanted) for decades - overwrite And Keep/suffix both files :) .

eil

Post by eil »

so Don, can we expect at least an experimental add of Overwrite button? 'cause since talking, and as theme was brought to light, i thought about it each time i needed that button.
:ninja: though to be honest i'm still little bit afraid of what buttons positioning changes may happen(obviously cause i like too much my variant :mrgreen: )
Win 7 SP1 x64 100% 1366x768

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

eil wrote:so Don, can we expect at least an experimental add of Overwrite button? 'cause since talking, and as theme was brought to light, i thought about it each time i needed that button.
:ninja: though to be honest i'm still little bit afraid of what buttons positioning changes may happen(obviously cause i like too much my variant :mrgreen: )
You have to be strong now: I tend to prefer Filehero's design: http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... 59#p137959 :)

Working on it right now...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, before you start ranting here is a little design improvement I made shortly after uploading v16.80.0004.
Attachments
collision.png
collision.png (27.06 KiB) Viewed 2361 times

DmFedorov

Post by DmFedorov »

My suggestion was better.
No new buttons. Less clicks. All at once. In addition, this version is checked. It is convenient.

eil

Post by eil »

first of all - thanks for adding button. :D now all is cool. :tup: .

though i'm glad that actual dialog looks not like on your screenshot, but even if that is how it will look, isn't "Cancel" button kinda misplaced?..
collision.png
collision.png (14.88 KiB) Viewed 2349 times
now here's how i have dialog in my system
2016-05-24_001911.png
2016-05-24_001911.png (58.62 KiB) Viewed 2349 times
and i wanted to ask - why it's so wide? for long names or some future things? 'cause if that is the case maybe make it little more narrow, at least for now till those future to come..
2016-05-24_0019112.png
2016-05-24_0019112.png (65.48 KiB) Viewed 2349 times
consider 1st and 3rd screenshots to have buttons properly arranged by fenshui, and maybe you'll agree those variants to look more elegant. :roll: :mrgreen:

and the last thing i wanted to ask: can this dialog be under control of CKS at all?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

> isn't "Cancel" button kinda misplaced?..
Yes, but in the current version the OK button is kinda misplaced. :)

> i wanted to ask - why it's so wide?
You can adjust the size, it will be remembered.

>and the last thing i wanted to ask: can this dialog be under control of CKS at all?
I don't understand? Why would you call a collision prompt by CKS?

highend

Post by highend »

Just guessing: He means the drop-down field not the size of the dialog
Why would you call a collision prompt by CKS?
Guessing again: Being able to use keyboard shortcuts for all actions
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

highend wrote:
Just guessing: He means the drop-down field not the size of the dialog
Why would you call a collision prompt by CKS?
Guessing again: Being able to use keyboard shortcuts for all actions
Good guesses (I guess).

1) Other languages need more space.
2) At least you got Alt+V (Overwrite) and Alt+K (Skip) now.

eil

Post by eil »

highend guesses were right.)
admin wrote:> isn't "Cancel" button kinda misplaced?..
Yes, but in the current version the OK button is kinda misplaced. :)
so in future versions OK button will migrate, right? and what will be the position? i'm so curious only because i like visual style use and safety measures(so Cancel wouldn't be clicked by mistake)
admin wrote:> i wanted to ask - why it's so wide?
oh, i forgot about that, looks better but again a questionable OK button positioning in most slim size.. or maybe it looks strange only for me %)
admin wrote:>and the last thing i wanted to ask: can this dialog be under control of CKS at all?
I don't understand? Why would you call a collision prompt by CKS?
as highend presumed, i was asking if it possible to give CKS to actions in drop-down. i don't know if it's possible at all, as XYcopy is a separate app, but that could be cool if new section appear in settings. i think many users will benefit, me included, for while collision dialog is active, say CTRL+2 will select "Overwrite if different", or Ctrl+5 will select "Suffix increment to copy". these are examples for maybe defaults, but i'm sure users will appreciate customize ability.
yet using Shift as modifier(Shift+Ctrl+2) to check "Do this in next collisions" is a finishing blow for keyboard samurais.)

full example goes like this: user has a collision- Ctrl+2 > Enter, collision again, oh well, Shift+Ctrl+2 > Enter to do for all other. fast way and mouse can be put aside.

DmFedorov

Post by DmFedorov »

OK my turn. Don.
Can you make that if I hold Shift it will means: I ticked checkbox "do this also for the next collisions", and that I will see ticked checkbox there.
Can you make that if I hold key combination for drop-down list I will see what this key-combination select for me in drop-down list?

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

Actually I like the present layout too. Ok and Cancel next to each other looks good, when your dialog is wide (because of long file names).

I was wondering, that Overwrite and Skip buttons would really obey to the "Do this also for..." checkbox. (Because they are present in the dropdown too.) So special thanks for the changing tooltips of those buttons.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

LittleBiG wrote:Actually I like the present layout too. Ok and Cancel next to each other looks good, when your dialog is wide (because of long file names).

I was wondering, that Overwrite and Skip buttons would really obey to the "Do this also for..." checkbox. (Because they are present in the dropdown too.) So special thanks for the changing tooltips of those buttons.
1) I agree. I will leave the OK button where it is now.

2) This might be clearer when I align the checkbox with the action buttons and the action dropdown, I think.

@others: Thanks for the other ideas, but for now I will leave this topic and move on.

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

Don, any chance Ctrl+Overwrite/Skip can be made to act as if 'Do this also for the next collisions' is checked?

Then they would behave similarly to the scripting stepping dialog.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Maybe later.