"Absorbed" mouse clicks

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Skeeve

"Absorbed" mouse clicks

Post by Skeeve »

This is a minor but very annoying issue:

If a background operation is in progress, for example the folder size calculation is running in the background, some mouse clicks are "absorbed". Especially right clicks in a tabs are absorbed all the time, but even some clicks on file items are absorbed in some cases.

Thanks,
Kind regards

admin
Site Admin

Re: "Absorbed" mouse clicks

Post by admin »

That's because the "background" operation is actually running in the foreground. The click is denied because otherwise everything would explode.

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve »

I see,

how about calculating the folder size in a real background task? There already seems to be a system that can update file and folder info if they are modified from outside. Maybe the folder calculation task could use this mechanism to update results when completed?

Maybe there is no more need to absorb/block clicks this way? Just my thoughts:)

Thanks

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I could do something like this, but I have a long list of (IMO) better things to do. A question of priorities...

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve »

Thanks for the feedback.

Sure, I'm aware you can't implement everything :) This special behaviour is still very annyoing in daily work for me so I already have disabled the precalculation. (Although I think this is a very cool feature without the downside)

Still hoping this will be improved some day ... :)

Thanks

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

2 tips that might make your life a bit easier (in the meantime):

1) There is on-the-fly folder size calculation: View | Calculate Folder Sizes (Shift+F5)

2) The permanent "Show Folder Sizes" setting can be toggled from the context menu of the Size column header. No need to open the Configuration dialog.

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve »

Ok, thx

tciemier

Post by tciemier »

Donald --

I, too, have the problem with mouse clicks not being recognized. I tried following the logic given earlier as to why this happens but am not satisfied that it is correct. I use the program extensively during the day, and all the "absorbed" mouse clicks become really irritating. This did NOT happen with earlier versions of the software.
So, for the past three days, I have been falling back systemically to earlier versions, beginning with 16.20.0100, on two computers. No problem with mouse clicks. I found that I could run up to version 16.40.0000, which I am currently running, without any "absorbed" clicks. This is true for both Windows 10 Pro x64 test computers. As soon as I go to any newer version, I once again encounter this frustrating problem.
Hopefully, this can/will be fixed

Thanks. -- Ted Ciemier

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Can you give me the steps to reproduce this?

tciemier

Post by tciemier »

The only thing I did was copy the older version of the program (the ZIP/No-Install version) into my XYplorer folder, which overwrote the newer version files. Then, in xplorer.ini, I changed "LastVer" to read a version earlier than the older version I had just copied into the folder. In my case, I downgraded to 16.40.000 and changed "Lastver" to 16.30.0000. This eliminated the reminder one gets when starting the program after downgrading. After doing this, I really have to try hard to encounter an "absorbed" mouse click. I hope I am not doing anything that misleads. Thanks.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Just let me know if you find a way to get absorbed clicks with 16.60.

tciemier

Post by tciemier »

I just tried 16.6 for a second time, and, yes, still get absorbed mouse clicks. Back to 16.4 for me.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If you show me the way I can fix it.

tciemier

Post by tciemier »

I wish I could. My programming experience never got past Apple basic.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You just show me the way how to experience absorbed mouse clicks. I take care of the fixing.