XYplorer integration with windows applications

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
voirin

XYplorer integration with windows applications

Post by voirin »

Hi, I noticed that integration of XYplorer with applications on windows 10 is haphazard. I already mentioned a bug in relation to utorrent at:

http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... 00#p133700

Repeating that post and mentioning that if have in configuration > other > shell integration:

XYplorer in shell context menu [ticked]
XYplorer is default file manager [ticked]

I have also noticed that:

1) when using http://www.internetdownloadmanager.com/ and I right-click my download and select "Open Folder", it opens in windows "File Explorer"

2) when using Firefox to download items, and I look in "Library > Downloads" and select the folder icon to "Open Containing Folder" it opens in windows "File Explorer"

Is it possible to allow better integration?
Thanks.

highend

Re: XYplorer integration with windows applications

Post by highend »

Does that work with any other file manager set as default?

If not:
Both applications are either hardcoded to use Windows Explorer or they are not using a shell context menu but their own menu implementation...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

voirin

Post by voirin »

Do you have a list of file managers I could try? I think I'd only be guessing at which ones allow the option 'set as default file manager'.

highend

Post by highend »

Directory Opus does that (successfully).
Although not with a simple registry entry (like XYplorer) but with an event handler "OpusOpenFolder"

So it's possible but it would require work from Don's side...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

Firefox, like Chrome, calls the Windows API method SHOpenFolderAndSelectItems.

xplorer2 and DOpus apparently do better at replicating WE for this method - even giving some glimpses into what is necessary.

There's been some talk of improving XY with regards to this:
http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5539
http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14522
However, I'm not sure what Don's current opinion on this is, or if the issue at this point is just finding the time.

I suspect after the recent work with Preview Handlers & shell extensions that Don may want to take a break from the mess of poorly documented Windows APIs for a bit and could lack the necessary enthusiasm this might require. ;)

voirin

Post by voirin »

highend wrote:Directory Opus does that (successfully).
Although not with a simple registry entry (like XYplorer) but with an event handler "OpusOpenFolder
Thanks for the reply. I tried Directory Opus on the three apps mentioned: Internet Download Manager, Firefox, and utorrent (from the other post of mine). Directory Opus works flawlessly. So I guess it all comes down to the event handler you spoke of.

1024mb

Post by 1024mb »

Please consider adding this feature. I'm bumping this because I make hard use of two programs that doesn't currently work well with XYplorer. Internet Download Manager and Duplicate File Detective. I've sent a mail to DFD support asking why it wasn't opening XYplorer when selecting "Explore Folder" and I pointed to this topic and they replied (and I quote):
I'm not sure why that's happening. We're simply using the Windows "ShellExecuteEx" API call to invoke the "open" verb on the path you select.

We use Directory Opus here, and it seems to handle such requests without any issues. So perhaps the problem is with the XYplorer application? Might be worth contacting the vendor to get their thoughts.
I'm waiting for IDM's support reply. This is driving me nuts, really, I download a lot of files daily through IDM and every time I click "Open Folder" it opens the damn Windows Explorer :roll: .
Thanks for reading.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

4 hours into the new year and you start bumping. The urgency has come across.

But my todo list is long, and my opinion is that those other apps should just do their job: e.g. read the ***king registry...

1024mb

Post by 1024mb »

admin wrote: 09 Jan 2019 13:07 4 hours into the new year and you start bumping. The urgency has come across.

But my todo list is long, and my opinion is that those other apps should just do their job: e.g. read the ***king registry...
It was my christmas gift :lol:

AlternativeShit

Post by AlternativeShit »

Any news on adding this feature?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

In the meantime I've learned how to do it. But it's a lot of work. No time for that at the moment.