Elevated Privileges for a folder in XY ?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
CookieMonster

Elevated Privileges for a folder in XY ?

Post by CookieMonster »

I want to be able to delete a folder within Program Files but windows prevent this; is it possible to apply elevated privileges in XY for this folder only within XYplorer ?

bdeshi

Re: Elevated Privileges for a folder in XY ?

Post by bdeshi »

Don't you get something like this when deleting that folder?
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

CookieMonster

Post by CookieMonster »

SammaySarkar wrote:Don't you get something like this when deleting that folder?
I know it asks for Administration rights, or the password but that still didn't allow me to delete the folder; and if I ran XY in a administration account, using an administration password, it still didn't allow me. Why I asked if there way some other way ?

I know Windows, especially Windows10 access for many things, got more robust and solid then in previous versions of Windows, although not that much of a change since Windows 8.1 if you used 8.1, maybe I'm trying the impossible and XY can't preform any magic unless it's allowed by Windows.

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

I am on Windows 10, and pressing Continue there does delete that folder. :?
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

CookieMonster

Post by CookieMonster »

SammaySarkar wrote:I am on Windows 10, and pressing Continue there does delete that folder. :?
Did you try deleting a folder in Program Files or Program Files (x86) ?

highend

Post by highend »

What does the whole thing has to do with XYplorer? Deleting folders in those places (in Win *Shit*) requires trustedinstaller permissions. Changing the ownership to "Everyone" (and replacing them for all items and subitems) + icacls is a working solution to be able to delete such a folder afterwards...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

CookieMonster

Post by CookieMonster »

What does the whole thing has to do with XYplorer? Deleting folders in those places (in Win *Shit*) requires trustedinstaller permissions. Changing the ownership to "Everyone" (and replacing them for all all items and subitems) is a working solution to be able to delete such a folder afterwards...
I was hoping XY could do this with a temporary switch, so to speak, then Windows reverts back to it's default procedure.

highend

Post by highend »

There is no switch. This is overruling of inbuild permissions management of Windows. Write scripts and place them on a button...

CookieMonster

Post by CookieMonster »

You could create a button that can do this automatically to a folder or to all sub-folders, then revert back, unless reverting is not necessary, as Windows will do this automatically ?

highend

Post by highend »

If YOU overwrite permissions and ownership of files / folders, Windows doesn't revert that...

CookieMonster

Post by CookieMonster »

highend wrote:If YOU overwrite permissions and ownership of files / folders, Windows doesn't revert that...
Are you saying, a script can give you the permissions allowing you to write or delete from a Windows folder such as Program Files but can't lets say with a timer in the script, revert the permission value back to what it originally was, in this case preventing the user to delete or write to the Program Files folder ?

highend

Post by highend »

but can't lets say with a timer in the script, revert the permission value back to what it originally was
Where did I claim that?

CookieMonster

Post by CookieMonster »

highend wrote:
but can't lets say with a timer in the script, revert the permission value back to what it originally was
Where did I claim that?
I never implied you made a claim, it was a question.

highend

Post by highend »

A script can do whatever it wants. Just code the logic.

CookieMonster

Post by CookieMonster »

I'm not well versed with scripting in XY, safe to assume, nothing of this nature exists ?