Preview 2.0 - Generic Thread

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
admin
Site Admin

Re: Preview 2.0 - Generic Thread

Post by admin »

hogaty wrote:Only one thing is without issue lose focus on previewing excel files in floating window, namely:
Navigation to next excel file with use of mouse wheel or with use arrow keys, while the current list (XYplorer) was focused.

Methods used here work correct. Maybe some of these methods could be used instead other methods used in case of wrong behaviour:

After mouse click on excel file while the current list (XYplorer) is focused,
is preview window rendered and focus is lost. On second mouse click in the current list (XYplorer) is focus found again,
but nothing else is done. On next mouse click is preview window rendered and focus is lost. And again and again.

Maybe it will require installation of at least free excel viewer.
admin wrote:Conc. the Excel issue. Clearly a bug in the preview handler. Don't know what to do. Set the focus somewhere? But where?
I cannot fix this because it is obviously an Excel preview bug (or maybe feature). I cannot work around the bug/feature without the ability to reproduce it. But I don't have Office here for testing. So at the moment we are stuck. Let's see what the future brings.

hogaty

Post by hogaty »

OK. I see.
admin wrote:
admin wrote:Conc. the Excel issue. Clearly a bug in the preview handler. Don't know what to do. Set the focus somewhere? But where?
I cannot fix this because it is obviously an Excel preview bug (or maybe feature). I cannot work around the bug/feature without the ability to reproduce it. But I don't have Office here for testing. So at the moment we are stuck. Let's see what the future brings.

Oversemper

Post by Oversemper »

New preview is here. Version 16.10. But the bug is still here. Check this out:

Word and XYplorer at 100% zoom:
http://1drv.ms/1P6sHUI

And at 60% zoom:
http://1drv.ms/1P6sL75

In the preview the text is always cut on the right side. Toggling configuration=>preview=>Mouse Down Blow Up=>General ("shrink to fit", "with border", "centered", "use whole screen") and other options in the preview section does not eliminate the right side cutting. I guess it is something to do with the carrying part of the text over to the next line.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I use Microsoft's preview handler for this. There is nothing I can do. It's completely outsourced.

Is it different when you preview the files in File Explorer?

hogaty

Post by hogaty »

I use Floating preview F11 for preview of doc files. It works very well. But you want maybe to use preview from info panel only. For info preview I use preview from info panel too.
Oversemper wrote:New preview is here. Version 16.10. But the bug is still here. Check this out:

Word and XYplorer at 100% zoom:
http://1drv.ms/1P6sHUI

And at 60% zoom:
http://1drv.ms/1P6sL75

In the preview the text is always cut on the right side. Toggling configuration=>preview=>Mouse Down Blow Up=>General ("shrink to fit", "with border", "centered", "use whole screen") and other options in the preview section does not eliminate the right side cutting. I guess it is something to do with the carrying part of the text over to the next line.

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Not following the discussion, so sorry if this was asked before...

1. how to achieve backspace (go back\go up) navigation to .zip preview?

2. how can I have a smooth navigation among ALL ticked previewed extensions under config, instead of having to click list items first? For instance, if I (SHIFT+)F11 a .txt file, quick viewer will be opened instead of expected full screen preview/floating preview. If I have on list
.zip
.txt
.html

and activate F11 on .zip and press the right arrow key, despite being a marked previewed extension, .txt is skipped anyway - unless I click on it.
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

1. Dunno.

2. Yes, there are some assymmtries in the current behavior, but they are all on purpose. They attempt to refelct what most users probably want. You cannot change this ATM.

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

1. Please, allow smooth ||back||-and-forth keyboard navigation inside .zip files. There's even a focus issue which currently disallows full keyboard-driven operations among list and preview pane which may be solved easily (high hopes!). This would hugely improve my workflow on .zip previewing tasks.

2. thanks for considering.
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

1. Theoretically Alt+Up should work but it does not. Preview 2.0 means outsourcing the job. It also means: I'm out of the game. Lost my influence.

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

1. I see. Sad... but there are gains (.txt, yay!), and I'm happy with what I saw this far (not much, strictly for urgent demands). "2" would made up for everything else, anyway - although I'm struggling with .htm(l) files to the point I'm considering disabling support for them. Let's wait...

Thanks.

sinilill

Post by sinilill »

admin wrote:
sinilill wrote:Found another bug for SVG files :(
XYplorer only shows thumbnails for those files which have been browsed with Windows Explorer (thumbnail view).

The thumbnail handler is 64bit, so it might be a bitness issue.
Yeah, looks like. In that case it's not a bug (you need a 32-bit thumbnail handler). But interesting that there is a common cache.
admin wrote:In the next version I will attempt to work around Adobe crashes using a new process, XYPrevHost.exe ...
Since there is a common cache, maybe XYPrevHost.exe (or some other .exe) also could somehow trigger the 64bit thumbnail handlers?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Not if I compile it since I can make only 32-bit EXEs. But, yes, something like ContextMenu64.exe could be employed here as well, XYPrevHost64.exe. I would just pass it the filename, the target window handle, and the RECT coords. And maybe a few other specs. The code itself is not that large nor difficult, around 50 statements maybe. That would be something for master Mesh...

sinilill

Post by sinilill »

It would be very useful since every 64bit program might not provide 32bit handlers!
Luckily 64bit PDF-XChange Viewer provides a 32bit handler!

Enternal

Post by Enternal »

Are there some kind of width limits to the floating preview? If you look at the screenshot below, you would notice that no matter what, the width of a video is constricted for some reason. Is there no way to widen that? It's a bit odd especially preview widescreen videos (which is most videos these days?)
2015-12-24 00_21_01-FP.png
2015-12-24 00_21_01-FP.png (3.08 KiB) Viewed 2688 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It appears to be limited to 100%. The preview handlers do not support zoom. (Another reason to keep the preview tab, where XYplorer supports zooming videos!)