better scripted GUI creation

Features wanted...
TheQwerty

Re: better scripted GUI creation

Post by TheQwerty »

PeterH wrote:
TheQwerty wrote:I think we can create feature rich GUIs in HTML just fine - ...
You should have said you can :whistle:
I can't :oops:
Yes you can!

Maybe not right this moment, but I believe you are quite capable of creating HTML forms. ;)

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

zer0 wrote:scripting is an alien concept to many people -- granted, it is quite awesome for some other people too -- I would rather see them integrated in the main product than being left to scripting.
So would I - but you're questioning scripting in general. Whereas the concern here is about user-friendly GUI.

The currently possible scripting GUIs look more like web-based submit forms. Just not as professional as the usual dialogs you deal with in a Windows environment, be that XY or AHK or Windows itself.

zer0

Post by zer0 »

Stef123 wrote:
zer0 wrote:scripting is an alien concept to many people -- granted, it is quite awesome for some other people too -- I would rather see them integrated in the main product than being left to scripting.
So would I - but you're questioning scripting in general. Whereas the concern here is about user-friendly GUI.

The currently possible scripting GUIs look more like web-based submit forms. Just not as professional as the usual dialogs you deal with in a Windows environment, be that XY or AHK or Windows itself.
I am not questioning scripting in general, I use scripting and am thankful for it. However, personally, I cannot think of situations for my usage of XY where a complex, scripting GUI with radio buttons and text boxes would be necessary. Maybe I am missing something. A WYSIWIG-like editor may be a better addition, because it would reduce the level of scripting expertise that would be required.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

@zer0: Are we talking about the same?

We're not talking about changing the GUI of XY by scripting.

We are talking about some scripts needing quite some communication with the user, and a way to make this more easy and better, with some GUI.
It's the difference, for example, about asking the user for this and that and I don't know what, one for one, or showing a "panel" with some checkboxes and alike, where the user immediately sees which options are there, sees all defaults, changes what he wants and then continues.
You may have no use for such a thing - others have. For scripts they made for themself, and for others. There are quite a lot.

So the difference is: you say there is no use for it, others have use for it. So you must be wrong.
You might say, that you don't need it. And that you think that maybe it's not worth the effort of Don.
But don't pretend it's not needed because you don't need it.
Win11 Pro 223H2 Gerrman

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

PeterH wrote: So the difference is: you say there is no use for it, others have use for it. So you must be wrong.
You might say, that you don't need it. And that you think that maybe it's not worth the effort of Don.
+1 :tup:
With wishes of this kind, no one is forced to "suffer" from it. Just like with shortcuts and other conveniences, it won't get in the way unless you specifically call it up.

zer0

Post by zer0 »

PeterH wrote:So the difference is: you say there is no use for it, others have use for it. So you must be wrong.
I am not saying it is not needed. I am saying that I struggle to imagine a situation, for what I do with XY, where any kind of pop-up scripted GUI would be beneficial. But, if it's so awesome, a WYSIWYG editor that can help create workflows with scripting "under the hood" would be better. That way, hopefully you get your wish and the concept of scripted GUI would be opened up to the masses.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

I can't create html forms. I couldn't find an example how to do it and integrate it to XYplorer.
So I created one for myself, it has 4 elements: text, selection, switch and button. I know it is simple and not a big deal, but for me it is enough and I am tired of waiting for somebody else to create a better one. Here is a sample:
Attachments
gui.gif
gui.gif (1.28 MiB) Viewed 2211 times

highend

Post by highend »

One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

LittleBig, that's commendable You've almost wrung the last bits of possible use out of inputselect and friends.
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

Stefan

Post by Stefan »

LittleBiG wrote: I couldn't find an example how to do it and integrate it to XYplorer.:
There are some first step examples > http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10275 (also follow the link there)

HTH?

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

Highend and Stefan, thank you, I am going to delve into them for sure, they look very promising. Mine has only one advantage. It is soooooo simple to create. You can do simple GUI for everything like in minutes.