XYplorer Portable Settings..

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
aimy

XYplorer Portable Settings..

Post by aimy »

Hi.

I have save the Configuration settings from the file Menu.

Then I reinstall XYplorer again overriding on the existing location. Usually I just extract the new files (portable version).

But when I import the configuration again, my save tabs are not restored. So my question is why this should happen? Isn't that obvious that favourites tabs also part of the user's preferences, just like the toolbar buttons? So how do I get back my favourite tabs?

And how do I set XYplorer to use the program's directory to store setting instead of the default path - C:\Users\ID\AppData\Roaming

Thank you.

Filehero

Re: XYplorer Portable Settings..

Post by Filehero »

Hi aimy,
aimy wrote:I have save the Configuration settings from the file Menu.

Then I reinstall XYplorer again overriding on the existing location. Usually I just extract the new files (portable version).
since I use the portable setup only from the very beginning, I could only speculate what could have gone wrong anyway. I save me that.

1. When you have a (recent, of course) backup of your C:\Users\ID\AppData\Roaming folder, changes to restore your tabs are nearly 100%. :)

2. Saving (and restoring) XY's config is dead plain simple, because under-the-hood it is just one folder (and its children) which has to been backuped/restored. In a portable install it is <xydata>, which resolves to "XY_HOME\data".

Since I will be away rest of the day, someone else will chime in for help, I'm sure.

aimy wrote:And how do I set XYplorer to use the program's directory to store setting instead of the default path
download one of the "No-Install"-packages (2nd/3rd option) from http://www.xyplorer.com/download.php, extract it to the target folder and start XY by double-clicking xyplorer.exe. Now look for "XY_HOME\data". Et voila.

Cheers,
Filehero

aimy

Post by aimy »

Thanks FileHero for your comment.

I am not sure whether you have got me right or not.

But please refer to this screenshot. I want to restore those locked tabs in the red rectangle (All of them locked locations).
2015-10-16_162357_XYplorer.jpg
2015-10-16_162357_XYplorer.jpg (760.76 KiB) Viewed 2153 times
I reinstall XYplorer using normal setup because I'm having problem of displaying the "Empty Folder" option by right-clicking. I am using the 64-bit Windows 7. So I thought reinstall using setup would solve the issue but it does not.

Then I try to restore all my toolbars and those save tabs (hopefully) by open the saved configuration. But only toolbar buttons were restored, not those favourite tabs.

And now it seems that XYplorer setting is saved under user roaming, not under the program path anymore.

I remember someone said, it should be indicated in the *.ini file if I'm not mistaken, but I could not find it.

Someone please help me.

Thank you.

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

if you just want the "Empty Folder" back, you could've just asked here first, you know! :ghost:
Pick Main menu > Tools > Configuration > Menus, Mouse, Safety > Context Menus
Enable Custom items in shell context menu. Then click on File List..., and check "Empty Folder".
Also make sure Tools > Configuration > Shell Integration > 64-bit Windows > Show the 64-bit context menu is DISABLED.

Now, moving on to solving the mucked up datapaths!
aimy wrote:And now it seems that XYplorer setting is saved under user roaming, not under the program path anymore.
in XYplorer, go to <xypath> (just enter that in the addressbar) and delete the file named startup.ini. Then restart XYplorer.

(When you used the installer, it assumed per-user installation, and created that ini file which directs XY to save settings in current user's appdata/roaming folder.)
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]