Set as desktop background

Features wanted...
nerdweed

Set as desktop background

Post by nerdweed »

A very small wish.

Can the floating preview and full screen preview have the option to set a picture as wallpaper, please.

Marco

Re: Set as desktop background

Post by Marco »

This would go against the concept of portability. However, it is achievable quite easily via scripting.
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]

nerdweed

Post by nerdweed »

What has this to do with Portability, its all about usability.

There is already an option to set a pictures as desktop background in context menu, and just needs to be extended to the preview.

There is no need for scripting here.

Marco

Post by Marco »

XY is designed to not change the host system. Changing desktop background is one of such changes.
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer

nerdweed

Post by nerdweed »

I don't quite go with this. Files on a host system belong to the host and then XY shouldn't allow changing it either.

Portability is not leaving traces of the program behind (in this context)
a. Neither registry entries nor broken registry entries
b. No temp files hanging around

And these things shouldn't be done on its own. If a user does that, it doesn't break the portability of the application.
E.g; Shell Integration in settings which adds registry entries. If a user selects this option, does this mean XY is not portable. Definitely not.

arirish

Post by arirish »

nerdweed wrote:There is already an option to set a pictures as desktop background in context menu
There is? Where?

nerdweed

Post by nerdweed »

It is in the shell context menu for Win7+. Hence I didn't have to go to scripting.

arirish

Post by arirish »

nerdweed wrote:It is in the shell context menu for Win7+. Hence I didn't have to go to scripting.
Ah. I'm on XP, we have no such indulgence :(

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

+1.

Quite disappointing not seeing this little functionality on the best image viewer of the universe...
:lol:
(seriously: I'm yet to perform a 1:1 check on what I liked on xnView and FastStone, but so far XY is ahead of both, imho)
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

You got Open With... as a recent addition to the context menu. Should be possible to trigger a UDC-script that takes care of the wallpaper wish.

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Yes, I'm working on it...
Haven't found a solution, yet. Stuck at finding where in system Win 8 stores wpp path. Open for suggestions...

(trying to avoid external tools like Wallpaper changer using Irfanview and PaperFolders)

To the ones that may like, here's a hint:
run """...<path>...\IrfanViewPortable.exe ""<curitem> /wall=0 /killmesoftly""";
Last edited by SkyFrontier on 02 Aug 2015 13:53, edited 1 time in total.
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

Can't help you out, you're far more competent in this area. I just figured there ought to be some Windows commandline or batch file way to change the wallpaper without having to rely on OS-version specific paths.

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

There was (reg.exe, System\Wallpaper+Style, cmd).
Win 8 is awesome (they say 10 is better...), but it's a brand new terrortory (sic) for me as I'm several months out of computing. :roll:

Marco

Post by Marco »

It's a registry key, plus you need to issue a Windows message with a third party utility.
Gimme a sec...

On Win 8.1 x64

Code: Select all

reg add "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v Wallpaper /d "C:\path\of\your\wallpaper.ext" /f"
rem Utility downloaded from http://windowsxp.mvps.org/wprefresh.exe
wprefresh.exe

nerdweed

Post by nerdweed »

Don,
May be we can get a "Set as wallpaper" option in Preview 2.0.

I would have loved to have a XY native SC SetWall, but I know the chances for this are very slim.