The Zen of File Management

Say it if you mean it...
admin
Site Admin

The Zen of File Management

Post by admin »

Before I published the claim "The Zen of File Management" some weeks ago, I checked for any previous existence and failed: it was (or appeared to be) totally new! :D

Today I checked again, and voila, a site from 2003 with exactly that title came up, and it serves some sparse but quite mysterious "contents". Let me quote just one of the deep insights gained by this mind-blowing essay:
Nancy Hopkins wrote:One of the biggest keys to effective file management is knowing how to use your operating system.
If you don’t know how to copy, move, delete, rename, and search for file/folders, you won’t reap the full benefits of file management.

Hey, XYplorer is your friend, Nancy! :wink:

You need more? Look here:
http://www.web.virginia.edu/otc2k/train ... /frame.htm

badams007

My Documents?

Post by badams007 »

bump - why not? :) :) File management matters. (For me anyway, eleven years went by without much management thought and now....80 gigs of obscure messes is what I've got!)

But, all this time I've felt guilty for using My Documents so much. I have! I was JUST about to move all of it to C drive!!!!!!!!! OMG This Zen paper may have saved me from making MORE of a huge mess of my hard drive!

Nancy says always use My Docs... Did I understand her correctly? I have been doing right all along?? (What do I do with C: drive?) She says keep documents separate from programs? I've never seen anything like these suggestions...nobody I know talks about this stuff. :(

I hope organizational methods are discussed here at forum (I haven't checked yet). I know I would enjoy the topic... and it seems kinda fitting because XYplorer looks to be a huge aid at creating some ORDER!!!

Newbie loving XYplorer,

Brenda

admin
Site Admin

Re: My Documents?

Post by admin »

badams007 wrote:...80 gigs of obscure messes is what I've got! ...
So you're a digital messie. Well, it's just electromagnetic patterns on a fast rotating disk, My Documents or Your Documents or No Documents... it's all not that r-e-a-l. And (as a German) I can tell: order is also a form of madness... eventually the sun will explode.

Back to CKS... :wink:

zridling

Re: My Documents?

Post by zridling »

admin wrote: And (as a German) I can tell: order is also a form of madness....
And that is why we want Germans building things like file managers, cars, windmills, and designing manufacturing plants and equipment! :)
- Zaine Ridling, The Great Software blog