Ability to hide tree without affecting catalog

Features wanted...
Lare2

Ability to hide tree without affecting catalog

Post by Lare2 »

I don't want to bother the developer now that he is working on CKS. :D

But i would like to have the ability to show the catalog without the tree showing.

Right now if you hide the tree, the catalog list goes with it. Wouldn't make sense if you could hide/show them independently.

Well it's just a wish :(

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

I've seen this somewhere here before, but didn't see any prior thread on a quick look...so it's not the first time...it's a sensible idea, though I'd likely not use it.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Ability to hide tree without affecting catalog

Post by admin »

Lare2 wrote:Right now if you hide the tree, the catalog list goes with it. Wouldn't make sense if you could hide/show them independently.
The original impulse behind hiding the tree was: have all the space for the list. Hence hide the catalog, too.
I don't see a lot of sense in hiding the tree and showing the catalog. What do you win (against minimizing the tree to 2 rows)?

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Re: Ability to hide tree without affecting catalog

Post by j_c_hallgren »

admin wrote:I don't see a lot of sense in hiding the tree and showing the catalog. What do you win (against minimizing the tree to 2 rows)?
I would think that IF there was a KS/icon way to toggle a maximize of the catalog and restore back to previous split location, that would suffice....sorta a combination of High Tree and the F12 type functions...

Right now I have my layout such that I see 12 lines of catalog, which is fine 90% or so of the time...but the rest of the time, I'd like to see the entire catalog...so if I could click on an icon or use a KS to do so, and then use same method to put it back to original size, that would be GREAT! :)

Yes, I could drag the split line up and down, but the KS type folks would appreciate a way to do so via keyboard, I'm sure.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

lukescammell

Post by lukescammell »

I meant top post this yesterday, but didn't get around to it...

1. Catalogue docking
As mentioned previously, the ability to dock the catalogue in different places (eg the RHS of the screen) is really over due seeing as how it's so amazing and vitally important to us all :) That's not sarcasm, it realy is - I'd be lost without it now!

2. Catalogue per profile
I would really like to have more than one catalogue and the ability to assign a catalogue to a profile (.ini). I have different files/folders/programs that I access on different machines, so this would really help a lot.

3. Auto-loading profiles
Taking this further, I would like the option to have profiles automatically load depending on the computer you are using. Basically, I don't want to have to change the profile manually between "Home", "Work" and "General". If the computer is not recognised, it should use the "default" profile. Any profile can be marked as default.

Considering this is a portable application, this would be really awesome for people like me who use a lot of different computers. Usually I have to put up with WE on other people's machines

4. Autosizing tree view
How about an option to autosize the tree view? :D Basically, it would allow you to never have a scroll bar at the bottom of the tree view as it would automatically stay as small as pssible. May even be worth having a min/max-width with this as well?
Used to update to the latest beta every day. Now I have children instead…
Windows 10 Pro x64 (everywhere except phone…)

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

lukescammell wrote:1. Catalogue docking
As mentioned previously, the ability to dock the catalogue in different places (eg the RHS of the screen) is really over due seeing as how it's so amazing and vitally important to us all :) That's not sarcasm, it realy is - I'd be lost without it now!
I don't think you'll ever get "docking", as in drag it around and dock it whereever you want. Sounds like a lot of work to do, and I don't think it would be that useful anyways.
That said, I wouldn't use it personally, but having the Catalog "separated" from the Tree, so you can hade one but not the other, could be useful for some, such as having the Catalog on the right.

That's not for me, cause I try to use all the space I have at best, and I don't to get a thrid "column" (after Tree & List) when I can do otherwise. But I won't vote against it ;)
lukescammell wrote:2. Catalogue per profile
I would really like to have more than one catalogue and the ability to assign a catalogue to a profile (.ini). I have different files/folders/programs that I access on different machines, so this would really help a lot.
That could be nice indeed; but it should probably be true for everything then: Catalog, Servers, CKS...
Actually, to deal with this more "easilly", might be to let the user save its Catalog/CKS/etc with giving it a name, so calling it "my CKS" could save it to "cks.my CKS.dat" for example, and add into the INI a setting to know which Catalog/CKS/etc to load/use, eg; CKS=my CKS

That way you can have a Catalog, CKS config, etc per profile, but also load them up as you wish!
lukescammell wrote:3. Auto-loading profiles
Taking this further, I would like the option to have profiles automatically load depending on the computer you are using.
You know, I think you can already do that, in a way, and that's how itr should be done: you have different profile, then create yourself some "launcher" that will load up XY with the appropriate config.
You can probably do it using "File/Configuration File/Create Shortcut to this Configuration...", but I don't know how shortcut behaves when it comes to portability.

What I mean is, if your drive holding XY changes letter, does the shortcut still work, or (would get my vote) panics & screams?

If so, then use simple good old BAT files, eg. create a "XY-home.bat" that will launch XY with Home.ini, do the same for Work, and you're set.
Sure, you have to click on the good one depending what machine you're on, but I don't think it should/could be anyother way (I mean, how XY should recognize a machine anyways, really? And what if you don't want him to?...)
lukescammell wrote:4. Autosizing tree view
How about an option to autosize the tree view? :D Basically, it would allow you to never have a scroll bar at the bottom of the tree view as it would automatically stay as small as pssible. May even be worth having a min/max-width with this as well?
Well, I (almost) never have a Hscrollbar on my Tree, and never on my List either for that matter. 8)
I know i would hate such a thing, but I hear some uses the autosize columns feature, which is the same kind of insanity to me ;)
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

lukescammell

Post by lukescammell »

1. OK, I don't really need drag-around docking, I just mean an option somewhere that allows you to have it top, right, bottom or left ;)

That could be nice indeed; but it should probably be true for everything then: Catalog, Servers, CKS...
You're quite right. I guess what I really meant is that a profile should (optionally) have everything separate. If it's controlled by a simple line for each item in the .ini, then you can even share catalogues between profiles if you wanted to - ultimate flexibility :)

Regarding point 3 - I know you can do it in various clever ways currently, but if it did it automatically, just from firing up the main executeable without any extra guff, that would just be slick, and something that I've not seen in any other portable app, let alone file manager.

4. Autosize columns on the list view is one of the things that made me buy XY in the first place, it's an essential thing IMO. I could probably live without this feature tbh, but it would be the icing on the cake :)

Any other thoughts on these people/Don?

(not implying you're not a person Don ;))
Used to update to the latest beta every day. Now I have children instead…
Windows 10 Pro x64 (everywhere except phone…)

Lare2

Post by Lare2 »

As you can see from the image below those are the folders i work on 90% of the time. So no need for me to have the tree showing there

Im pretty sure people won't complaint if they're given the ability to hide/show them independently :D

TIA

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Lare2 wrote:As you can see from the image below those are the folders i work on 90% of the time. So no need for me to have the tree showing there

Im pretty sure people won't complaint if they're given the ability to hide/show them independently :D
Sure, I knew you would say that. :) I'll add it when I find the time...

BTW, nice colors in your catalog. And what software do you use to make those tear-out-like screenshots?

Lare2

Post by Lare2 »

admin wrote:
Lare2 wrote:As you can see from the image below those are the folders i work on 90% of the time. So no need for me to have the tree showing there

Sure, I knew you would say that. :) I'll add it when I find the time...

BTW, nice colors in your catalog. And what software do you use to make those tear-out-like screenshots?

Don't worry, i know CKS are more important now. After all i'm the guy who bought this program when CKS was mentioned on the road map :lol:

http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... highlight=

But at least is coming

Oh and the program for the screen shot is called Fastone Capture, it's freeware and portable, what else could anyone want
:wink:

You can get it here

http://www.faststone.org/FSCaptureDetail.htm

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Lare2 wrote:Oh and the program for the screen shot is called Fastone Capture, it's freeware and portable, what else could anyone want

You can get it here

http://www.faststone.org/FSCaptureDetail.htm
Oh cool, I have an older version of it without that effect! Gotta upgrade...

Actually it ain't freeware but free-for-non-commerical-use, so if I use it for XY (and I think I will) I gonna buy one. :) Investment rules!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Lare2 wrote:Oh and the program for the screen shot is called Fastone Capture, it's freeware and portable, what else could anyone want
Do you have any idea why the torn-edge effect is available only for right and bottom sides?? :?

Lare2

Post by Lare2 »

admin wrote:
Do you have any idea why the torn-edge effect is available only for right and bottom sides?? :?
No idea

I only use the default settings when applying the effect so never checked that. BTW i've email them making the suggestion about it :P

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Lare2 wrote:I only use the default settings when applying the effect so never checked that. BTW i've email them making the suggestion about it :P
Me too! :) That should kick'em to do it...

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

admin wrote:Do you have any idea why the torn-edge effect is available only for right and bottom sides?? :?
I tried that soft too, curiosity, and I actually had the same question ;)
Wild guess: they probably assume that most of the times people would include the top-left corner of a window, but might not want to go all the way to the right/bottom, so that's a way to nicely cut it. You're not supposed not to include the top-left corner of the window.

Can kinda work it out though by flipping the picture, as long as you don't use shadows...
Proud XYplorer Fanatic