XYplorer New Website Interface..

Say it if you mean it...
aimy

XYplorer New Website Interface..

Post by aimy »

Has anyone reviewed about this?

I don't like it at all.. Too much space wasted..

I like the previous one where I can find all the details for each official version so easily.

The new one needs too much scrolling and looks like a development webpage at glance.

Thank you.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Re: XYplorer New Website Interface..

Post by j_c_hallgren »

I haven't been active here for quite a long while (too busy with my summer cottages, taxes and such) but just looked at the website via my old XP sys using IE8 and ...as much as I hate to say it...it looks abosultely horrible! Looks like an blog of some beginning coder or such -- If I saw that site using that browser/OS combo, I'd never even consider trying the product.

In 99.9% of the time over the years, I've LOVED what Don has done but as aimy said, the prior one is FAR superior to this.

UPD: Looked at it via Chrome - better but still looks like a smartphone "Play Store" entry ported to a web site....NOT user friendly!

You've only got one chance to make a great first impression and if I was to see this new site as a first time visitor, I'd not even scroll down to look at more as that type of site layout is such a waste of empty space and I know it's not easy to use.

Please don't get upset at me - I just want you to "live long and prosper" and that new site isn't helping, from my POV.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

binocular222

Post by binocular222 »

I love the flat design, color is elegant too, but the problem are:
1) There's shit load of scroll with little content
2) Too short introduction "XYplorer is a file manager for Windows. It features tabbed browsing, a powerful file search, a versatile preview, a highly customizable interface, optional dual pane, and a large array of unique ways to efficiently automate frequently recurring tasks. It's fast and light, it's innovative, and it's portable." not convincing to first-time visitor.
3) The pink-ish "What's new?" neither belongs to the above or below paragraph, looks confusing.
4) Where is the "Features" list? Who the hell will buy a product without this kind of info?
5) The last section "Contact", horrible waste of space, why not arrange all buttons on the same row?
6) When I click on "Support" (in the "Contact" section), I got a huge "Support" and "Get it" text box, what do they mean? They means no support if user forgot to press page down!
7) When I click on "Company", I got a picture consisting a crane, a river, a bridge, few blocks of houses. What? A shipping company? Is this a serious software company or just a fake/ads website?

I can list out a lot more, but I hope this is only a work-in-progress for something better.
I'm a casual coder using AHK language. All of my xys scripts:
http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... 243#p82488

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

pink-ish? Something is wrong with your monitor... :)

Yes, the new site is different from the old site. I personally love it. Which does not mean that there won't be changes here and there. It's still very young.

Will it work? We will see. Nobody can predict that. It's an experiment (which is the other thing I love about it).

And, hey, nobody should talk bad about the cranes of Cologne. :eh: :wink:

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

@binox: don't be too harsh.

After browsing a few pages, everyone should figure out that this big header image, (though completely unrelated,) is just the style of the site. (hey, don't they make you feel calm? )
The top section of the the pages have little content, true but they also have a ToC at the top, and a button to scroll to the main contents.

And the support page doesn't have a Get It textbox, it's a button, clearly you press Get it to... get support. :wink:

However, yes, a little bit more content would be nicer... :wink: Well, no, all needed content is already there, just needs to be reorganized.

Here's my two cents now: The homepage should have the feature list (maybe collapsed), and "Find out more" should scroll to it. Or actually it might be better, if product.php were the homepage, and the what's new/current version stuff moved to a different page. (How about... whatsnew.php ?)
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

One of my main design goals was not to overwhelm. Hence no feature list in your face. The message should be: This is a powerful software, but it's easy to use.

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

The What's new button can be changed to a features button. It will technically not be in your face. :lol:

IMO, when someone lands on XYplorer.com, they don't need to see what only the very latest version has, (they might think it's all there is to it), but the overall capabilities of XYplorer. Not everybody reads everything, they just skim thru large font and big images.

There's no highly visible way to read about XYplorer's features int the homepage at all.

anyways, it's good to see popup images (a wish of mine), any plans to do this with tour, releasenotes and elsewhere where screenshots are used?
[ this user is asleep ]

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

and another thing, don't the parapgraph lines look a little too close together? Maybe because of the sprawling serifs.
[ this user is asleep ]

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

SammaySarkar wrote:and another thing, don't the parapgraph lines look a little too close together? Maybe because of the sprawling serifs.
Where? Everywhere?

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

admin wrote:One of my main design goals was not to overwhelm.
I never thought the old site was overwhelming - the new one is now way too UNDERwhelming in terms of lack of content for amount space used!
Not saying it needs to be crowded too much but a few words on one page is a waste of MY time to find more info via lots and lots of scrolling, etc!

As I said, it looks like it was designed to be viewed on a smart phone only, not a laptop/desktop sized screen.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

calude

Post by calude »

yeah was not very difficult to find

https://ironsummitmedia.github.io/start ... -creative/

not impressed

aimy

Post by aimy »

I agree with all the complaints and critics :biggrin:

Attached is the screenshot of what I've seen in my HP EliteBook 8470p laptop..
2015-06-16_144958_XYplorer.jpg
2015-06-16_144958_XYplorer.jpg (242.81 KiB) Viewed 7087 times
Those yellow highlights indicate all those wasted empty spaces, Even the line spacing is a little more I think.

For information I saved all those new features in each wersion for my reference in the future. But it seems with this new webpage design, it's a little bit hard to track them.

Hope it can be improved.

Thank you.

Marco

Post by Marco »

It was a work in progress. Now there are screenshots in those blank areas.
What I liked best of the old interface? The What's New page was only one click away. Now I have to scroll down two pages to find the "Further details of this release..." line - either scroll or click on Find out More > What's New.
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

calude wrote:yeah was not very difficult to find

https://ironsummitmedia.github.io/start ... -creative/

not impressed
Thanks for mentioning! Gotta add some credits for them. The template was free.

(And I'm not impressed by you not being impressed. Converting the old page to the new design took about 120 hours hardcore work.)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Marco wrote:It was a work in progress. Now there are screenshots in those blank areas.
What I liked best of the old interface? The What's New page was only one click away. Now I have to scroll down two pages to find the "Further details of this release..." line - either scroll or click on Find out More > What's New.
Then bookmark this:
http://www.xyplorer.com/whatsnew.php#current