Copy certain sized items, then paste to new folder structure

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
kunkel321

Copy certain sized items, then paste to new folder structure

Post by kunkel321 »

Sub title: Help this guy from another forum...

Hi folks,
Mouser is a decent fellow and is the head guru at DonationCoder. (He's also the guy that made my screencap app that I use to post all my images here [Screenshot Captor])

Anyway, he posted an inquiry on the DC forums about a particular file-management need he has. I'll paste it below, or you can read the thread yourself
http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/inde ... #msg376502
(I think you can read there without logging in (?))

A couple of us on the DC forum have suggested he checkout XYplorer.
Here is his original post:

mouser [transcript] wrote:Looking for program that can copy folder hierarchy with checkboxes and size est.

I’m looking for an app that would let me select from a deep hierarchy of folders -- checking the folders i want to copy to a destination folder, while showing me size estimates of the total selected, and then copy from source to destination.
An example of using this would be if i have a large music collection and i want to copy a subset of it that will fit on a 64gb drive.
The key is being able to check/select arbitrary items at arbitrary locations in the hierarchy, and keep the hierarchy intact when copying.
Anyone know of a tool that can do this?
You can see my suggestions and screenshots in the thread. Upon rereading Mouser's OP, it also occurs to me that XY's checkbox selection mode is relevant. Branch View might also be relevant. Whatever the solution is, I'm sure that all of the steps could be tied together with a script. Wat dost thow think?
ste(phen|ve) kunkel

admin
Site Admin

Re: Copy certain sized items, then paste to new folder struc

Post by admin »

Can be done in XY out of the box and very easily:
(Folder Tree hidden for size and simplicity.)
(Folder Tree hidden for size and simplicity.)
BranchViewCheckboxesRichCopy.png (58.47 KiB) Viewed 1051 times
Needs:
- Branch View
- Checkbox Selection
- Show Folder Sizes

Summary bytes are shown live in status bar. (Only thing to keep in mind: if you tick a folder AND any of its contents, these contents will be counted twice.)

On copy you are prompted whether to preserve the folder structure (= "Rich Copy").