How to stop auto refresh?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
frew

How to stop auto refresh?

Post by frew »

Hello, Thanks for TrackerV3. It's a great tool.

I'm wondering how to make tracker not auto refresh when I move files from Trackers results to a new folder.

Checking or unchecking Tools/Configuration/auto refresh on file system changes does not seem to do anything.

Here's my situation. I search for example all wav files in drive C that have "drum" in the filename. Let's say TrackerV3 finds 300 wav files. Now I select one of the drum wavs and move it to a folder on my desktop, but as I do this I do *not* want TrackerV3 to automatically do it's search all over again, because I want to get right back to selecting and moving some more files from the result of the first serach, without having to wait for TrackerV3 to do it's search all over again (searching Drive C can take a little while...not long, but long enough to interupt the workflow).

So, how can I make TrackerV3 sit still and not auto refresh while I grab and move various files that it finds for me?

Thank you very much,

Frew

admin
Site Admin

Re: How to stop auto refresh?

Post by admin »

Hi frew,

good question! The answer is: no you can't (or couldn't :wink: ).
What you are talking about is an issue that's bugs me since very long and I'm actually wondering that I got so few complaints about it. I would almost call it a bug!
So, thanks for kicking me, because I could come up with a very cool solution, smooth refresh!
You'll have it with the next BETA.

frew

Post by frew »

Okay, thank you.

I look forward to trying this new feature "smooth refresh" and I wonder what that will be like.

Thanks again for the great tool TrackerV3, I love it.

Frew

frew

Post by frew »

Hello, regarding "smooth refresh"

when you say in history notes,

"Smooth Refresh does not work when multiple folders were given as search location",

does this mean "smooth refresh" will only work when I am searching within one folder only?

If this is the case, the new "smooth refresh" does not actually help me much because I usually use TrackerV3 to search multiple folders. And when searching within one folder TrackerV3 is so fast, even when it does do auto refresh, that auto refresh is not a problem.

I will often search all of Drive C for soundfiles that are scattered throughout various locations on my Hard Drive.

To have TrackerV3 re-search each time I move a file from the returned results takes a bit longer than I'd like it to.

Is it perhaps possible to have TrackerV3 *not* do an automatic re-search every time I move a file from the returned results...when I am searching all of Drive C, or folders with subfolders, etc?

I have your latest version of TrackerV3 now 3.60.0132, and when I search Drive C for wav sound files and I move one of them from the returned results to a new folder, the auto refresh still happens.

Please explain a little bit more about how this new smooth refresh will be helpful.

Thank you very much for your help,

Frew

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

frew wrote:when you say in history notes,
"Smooth Refresh does not work when multiple folders were given as search location",
does this mean "smooth refresh" will only work when I am searching within one folder only?
No, what you are talking about is "incl. subfolders" and that of course will be smooth refreshed. With "multiple folders" I mean only a situation where you enter various folders separated by " | " (pipe symbol) into the location combo.
frew wrote:I have your latest version of TrackerV3 now 3.60.0132, and when I search Drive C for wav sound files and I move one of them from the returned results to a new folder, the auto refresh still happens.
Hmm, that should not be the case... I'll check again. Say, where to do you move the files, to C: or to another drive?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

PS: I tested again and everything works fine here. Please describe exactly what you are doing when you move the files to another folder.

frew

Post by frew »

Whoops, sorry I didn't get back sooner...

Thanks for the replies.

I search all of drive C for bird.wav for example.

I get say 8 different bird.wav files that are all different from each other but which have the same name.

If I right click on one of them in the TrackerV3 results, and drag one of them over to a folder on my desktop (still in Drive C, C:\Windows\Desktop\New Folder for example)..while holding down the right click, then I let up and click "move here"...then TrackerV3's auto refresh begins....and thus instead of continuing directly to my selecting form trackerV3's results, I have to wait for the auto refresh as TrackerV3 searches drive C for bird.wav files again before I can get to and move any more of the bird.wav files.

Thank you,

Frew

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, this works perfectly over here. What's your OS?

EDIT: I'm surprised that nobody else comments on "smooth refresh" -- IMHO it's a phantastic improvement. Or does it work only on my machine??

RalphM

RE: Smooth refresh

Post by RalphM »

admin wrote:Well, this works perfectly over here. What's your OS?

EDIT: I'm surprised that nobody else comments on "smooth refresh" -- IMHO it's a phantastic improvement. Or does it work only on my machine??
Ok admin, I checked it out for myself and to calm the developers doubts, it works on my machine as well and I agree with YHO, it's really a nice feature, thanks.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

frew

Post by frew »

I'm using Windows 98 SE.

Are you saying that if you, for example, search all of your Drive C for *.wav (all wav sounds) and when TrackerV3 shows what it's found, if you right click on one of the wav files and drag it over to a newly created folder on your desktop and select "move here" that TrackerV3 will just sit still and not automatically begin to go through drive C all over again looking for the wavs again?

When I click "move here", immediately TrackerV3 will begin it's search through Drive C again automatically...as if it's detected a change and needs to update it's analysis and return the new conditon.

But if I click "copy here" TrackerV3 does sit still, ie does not do an auto refresh. But that's only with "copy here", not with "move here".

Are you saying you can do a file *move* as I describe above, and TrackerV3 will indeed not auto refresh...rather it will sit still and let you continue grabbing and moving more files from it's search results?

Thankyou,

Frew

frew

Post by frew »

Wow, it works great here now.

Not sure why it was auto refreshing a moment ago.

Maybe I was not doing something right.

I must say I think this is a huge wonderful new way of functioning that is going to be so nice to work with.

Now I can grab and move files and I do not have to wait for the searches to keep taking place automatically when I want to just keep grabbing and moving files.

Thank you so much for maikng this happen.

EDIT: I should point out though that after I move a file from TrackerV3 I need to click on TrackerV3 and move the little slider scroll bar located under the files TrackerV3 returns in order to make the files reappear...if I don't do that the files area of the TrackerV3 screen remains blank until I click and move the scroll bar...no problem.

Thanks again for you wonderful help.

Frew

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Great you got it to work!
frew wrote:EDIT: I should point out though that after I move a file from TrackerV3 I need to click on TrackerV3 and move the little slider scroll bar located under the files TrackerV3 returns in order to make the files reappear...if I don't do that the files area of the TrackerV3 screen remains blank until I click and move the scroll bar...no problem.
Uhm, I don't know exactly what you mean. But if it's no problem then let's just leave it at that.

EDIT: TIP: if you drag files inside TrackerV3 (e.g. from list to tree) you can hold CTRL while dragging to force a "copy" and hold SHIFT to force a "move". So you don't need to right-drag and then click the menu.

frew

Post by frew »

Oh nice, thanks for the reminder about ctrl drag and shift drag..very nice.

And thanks again for TrackerV3...it's one of the best tools I've found...I'm so glad I found it. Very nice. And amazing that you could create such a wonderful tool. How nice it must be to be able to create such useful software.

Frew