Revert change made in 14.30.0409

Features wanted...
Marco

Revert change made in 14.30.0409

Post by Marco »

Code: Select all

v14.30.0409 - 2014-08-20 09:53
  *** Edit Boxes: Now when there is a selection and you press the Left (Right) 
      key the caret will jump to the beginning (end) of the selection and the 
      selection will be removed.
      Note that the Windows shell itself behaves differently, e.g. Windows 
      Explorer: caret moves one step into the direction, selection is removed. 
      But most modern software seems to behave like the new way -- it seems 
      simply more practical.
This is a huge step backwards in usability, in my humble opinion.
Suppose you have to edit the last part of a filename: you have to press F2, then the right arrow to place the caret at the end first, and then the left arrow to go precisely where you want.
Before, you only had to press F2 and the left arrow.
I know that the way it is described depicts a minor situation, but the truth is that the current behaviour makes no sense, at least to me. If you're used to edit contents like this frequently during the day then you sure have noticed this.
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]

SkyFrontier

Re: Revert change made in 14.30.0409

Post by SkyFrontier »

Sure I have.
Especially because previously I could press HOME to achieve current behavior but now I don't have an option to resource to other than using touchpad to place the caret under a certain position, which is hateful.

11 times in 10 I have to edit file names at the second half portion. Tremendous negative impact here too.
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

mwb1100

Post by mwb1100 »

The request for this change and discussion about was in this thread: http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?t=12334

Unfortunately, it's kind of buried throughout since the original post in the thread was asking about a number of items.

autocart

Post by autocart »

mwb1100 wrote:Unfortunately, it's kind of buried throughout
So we make a new thread only dedicated to this point.
Marco wrote:This is a huge step backwards in usability, in my humble opinion.
+1
SkyFrontier wrote:which is hateful. ... Tremendous negative impact here too.
+1

I think F2-rename should work exactly as in Windows explorer (besides actual extensions of functionality like pressing F2 more than once or jumping to the next neighboring file up and down) because it is one of those quick standard functionalities that should always be and remain a no-brainer, being used to how it works without having to think about it.

Of course, over time, one could - maybe - get used to the way XY handles it differently provided only, however, that one would 100% never use Windows explorer or a file dialog(!) for renaming anymore at all ever. Nobody can guarantee this though. Even if you manage to only rename in XY on your PC it could (and often enough will) easily happen that you want to rename some files on another machine or under different circumstances. IMHO XY forces me to think too much (and also press more than necessary buttons) when using F2-renaming. Using XY with this change it has stopped being a no-brainer. This is tremendously negative.

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

Sorry to say: I love the "new way" 8)

With the old way:
- how do you position to the 1st characters? Isn't it bad to move from Right/Left keys to Home, then maybe Right again?
(Right/Left are below 2 fingers - for Home I have to move the whole hand...)
- how do you edit at the very last position(s) of the base name? E.g. insert " 40.30.0400" here? Or delete 2 characters in front of the dot? (Now: Right/Back/Back)

So for how I'm working the new method is *much* better than before.
(Though I must say: I needed some time before I've learned it - before I used the mouse to select Edit and then position in front of the dot, especially to insert there.)
Win11 Pro 223H2 Gerrman

Marco

Post by Marco »

PeterH wrote:With the old way:
- how do you position to the 1st characters? Isn't it bad to move from Right/Left keys to Home, then maybe Right again?
I agree, I thought the earlier behavior was symmetric. Could be improved. Generally speaking, I have this idea in mind: when you press F2 and the whole line is editable and selected, if you press (e.g.) the Left key it's because you want to move to the left possibly more than one position, so why placing the caret at the leftmost position? I would have pressed the Right key instead.
PeterH wrote:- how do you edit at the very last position(s) of the base name? E.g. insert " 40.30.0400" here? Or delete 2 characters in front of the dot? (Now: Right/Back/Back)
F2 twice. You don't even have to move your hand.
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

I was not aware of the details involved. Just happened to notice along the way that rename operations have become easier. So yes, I also find the new way more in line with other software and better suited to my most common renaming tasks.

mwb1100

Post by mwb1100 »

PeterH wrote:Sorry to say: I love the "new way" 8)
I agree. I think this is an improvement over Explorer's behavior that makes sense to me. And as mentioned in the other thread, this behavior matches how many other software products behave (though they aren't necessarily file managers).

Sure, it doesn't match Explorer, but I think this is one of those areas where it's better not to.

Maybe this is deserving of an option or tweek setting? Not sure how DonL would feel about that.

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

Heh, I'm a member of the "we like the new behavior" camp.
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

grindax

Post by grindax »

Last edited by grindax on 24 Jan 2016 23:28, edited 1 time in total.

autocart

Post by autocart »

alrighty, maybe this helps some of us who do not like the new way:
http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... 28#p112904
Last edited by autocart on 15 Oct 2014 18:35, edited 1 time in total.

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

SammaySarkar wrote:Heh, I'm a member of the "we like the new behavior" camp.
I have to join too. I asked specifically for this about 2-3 years ago.